E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Forged rims - (audiocity usa) - Are their rims really forged?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 PM
wtf
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

Hey guys,

am considering some new rims for my m5, and stumbled on these

http://www.acwheelsusa.com/view_imag...20AC3130930GMP

Now, I have emailed asking if their rims are really forged, since the prices appear almost too good to be true for a true lightweight forged wheel.. ie < $2000 for a set of rims, of $3500 with tyres..

Since I am in Australia, I have no access to anyone that may have actually been to the shop, or to look at the wheels in person. Has anyone had experience with them before?

I have searched a lot on the net but because of the ambiguity of the search terms, I am not coming up with much.

I dont mind that design of rim, but last thing I want to do is put rubbish on my M5 that will break, crack, leak, have paint/chrome bubble etc.. I am concerned they are BRANDED 'AC Forged' but they are not forged at all - just curious...

I got a little suspect when on their site it says '3pc forged', then later it says '3pc looking'... but it could have been purely referring to a different rim, I am not sure :S

http://audiocityusa.com/vip/No03-20-...aggered%20.php

Hoping someone may have had experience, or heard about this brand

thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wtf
Hey guys,

am considering some new rims for my m5, and stumbled on these

http://www.acwheelsusa.com/view_imag...20AC3130930GMP

Now, I have emailed asking if their rims are really forged, since the prices appear almost too good to be true for a true lightweight forged wheel.. ie < $2000 for a set of rims, of $3500 with tyres..

Since I am in Australia, I have no access to anyone that may have actually been to the shop, or to look at the wheels in person. Has anyone had experience with them before?

I have searched a lot on the net but because of the ambiguity of the search terms, I am not coming up with much.

I dont mind that design of rim, but last thing I want to do is put rubbish on my M5 that will break, crack, leak, have paint/chrome bubble etc.. I am concerned they are BRANDED 'AC Forged' but they are not forged at all - just curious...

I got a little suspect when on their site it says '3pc forged', then later it says '3pc looking'... but it could have been purely referring to a different rim, I am not sure :S

http://audiocityusa.com/vip/No03-20-...aggered%20.php

Hoping someone may have had experience, or heard about this brand

thanks in advance!
I would be a little skeptical at that price, but I would admit those wheels are gorgeous.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
wtf
Members

I do like them.... love the dish..

But it's a little reminiscent of when a burger chain in australia used to own a company called '100% Australian' .. and then would sell the burgers as having '100% Australian Beef'... when that was merely the brand, and not the actual content.. Am wondering if these wheels are brand name 'ac forged' rims or if they mean they are 'ac brand' forged rims.. Confusing lol.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I too would like to know. It's interesting you asked because I was on craigslist and noticed these guys ads are on nearly every week.

They do seem fairly cheap considering they're "3 piece forged." For now I'll stand by the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't." Unless someone here can confirm these are legit forged wheels, I'm staying away. There's no doubt though, they do have some great looking wheels.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by Cwest
I would be a little skeptical at that price, but I would admit those wheels are gorgeous.
they do seem cheap, but you gotta put the exchange rate from us to Australian dollars into perspective... it could be more or les.. haha
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i

i retract my previous statement.. haha they do seem cheap for the price... haha even in us dolllars
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
wtf
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I too would like to know. It's interesting you asked because I was on craigslist and noticed these guys ads are on nearly every week.

They do seem fairly cheap considering they're "3 piece forged." For now I'll stand by the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't." Unless someone here can confirm these are legit forged wheels, I'm staying away. There's no doubt though, they do have some great looking wheels.
Yeah that's what I am fearing

their footer on one page says

"22 forgiato : 40% off, Big Lip, 3pc looking, Asanti looking, 16" 17" 18" 19" 20" 22" 24" 26" 28" Wheels, Wheel, Rims, Rim
22"-Top of The Line Forgiato 3Pc Forged wheels/wheel for mbw/mbz/audi/lexus/Range Rover "

Note: 3pc looking

Yet above it clearly states "AC Forged 3pc Custom build"...

Looking at the image of the rim, if it was actually 3pc, isnt there a join/lip INSIDE the rim itself, where the tyre lives, just above the spokes? In the pics, it doesn't seem there is a join anywhere in there... Which suggests they are a 3pc 'look' ... thoughts?

I straight out emailed them saying 'Are your wheels really forged, by the way I have contacts in the USA who can make payment/shipment' (since they refuse to ship overseas..

The only response I got from them was:

"Dear streetfxx,

sorry we do not take paypal outside of the USA. You would have to pay with bank wire transfer.

- acwheelsusa"

They unfortunately ignored my question about them being forged or not :S
Old 05-25-2012, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

It seems they sell other brands too, and those wheels are under $2000 and they are cast. Their own brand seems to be forged and not so cheap:
http://www.acwheelsusa.com/products/...edes-Rims.html

- Antti -
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM
wtf
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
It seems they sell other brands too, and those wheels are under $2000 and they are cast. Their own brand seems to be forged and not so cheap:
http://www.acwheelsusa.com/products/...edes-Rims.html

- Antti -

I have asked a mate in the USA to hit them up for me, seeing as they dont appear to want to discuss much with me being in Aus.

Will share results when I find out..

I want these:

but the $7000 price tag is a bit excessive
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
wtf
Members

Just got another reply... They still have dodged the question about "are they forged alloy".. 25lbs each for a 20x10 - is that forged kinda weight?

The reply:
--

Dear streetfxx,

20mm offset. 3 piece wheels. weight appx 25lbs ea. $3399 for wheels only.

- acwheelsusa

Quick Reply: AC Forged rims - (audiocity usa) - Are their rims really forged?