E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC Belt - am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I don't have your model, but that's the tool I've seen online for your model.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after spitballing the tensioner idea, I have a dumb question....

How is adding the tensioner going to help me get the belt on? Won't the belt be too short to make it to the crank pulley, and the a/c clutch with the added tensioner in place?

I searched around, and did find several people who added the tensioner to their 4.4's ..... but no one on the 4.8 - and no pics
Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Stretch belts is another dumb idea by manufacturers. But, you have one. Get the tool and use it. I had to get a special tool for wife's X5 A/C stretch belt to the tune of $90. It worked. There may be cheaper ways, but there is no substitute for the right tool. Daughter's Mazda 3 has an A/C stretch belt too. The generic stretch belt tool works on that one.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
Stretch belts is another dumb idea by manufacturers. But, you have one. Get the tool and use it. I had to get a special tool for wife's X5 A/C stretch belt to the tune of $90. It worked. There may be cheaper ways, but there is no substitute for the right tool. Daughter's Mazda 3 has an A/C stretch belt too. The generic stretch belt tool works on that one.
I totally agree with you. The bad part is that I have to wait a week for it to arrive. The car isn't very divable with no a/c in South Texas right (heat index is like 110!). So I was looking for an alternative way to get the belt on. It seems like enough peole have done the tensioner retrofit, but alas, no one has documented it for the 4.8L. I see a few people who say they did it, but it required a different part# from the serpentine pulley.

At this point, I'll just wait for my tool to show up. Then spend the 5minutes it takes to do the job [correctly] with the right tool. All the while cursing BMW, but praising this forum.

I live a contradictory existence. I'm used to it.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:31 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Amazon Prime has advantages
Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmexico
I totally agree with you. The bad part is that I have to wait a week for it to arrive. The car isn't very divable with no a/c in South Texas right (heat index is like 110!). So I was looking for an alternative way to get the belt on. It seems like enough peole have done the tensioner retrofit, but alas, no one has documented it for the 4.8L. I see a few people who say they did it, but it required a different part# from the serpentine pulley.

At this point, I'll just wait for my tool to show up. Then spend the 5minutes it takes to do the job [correctly] with the right tool. All the while cursing BMW, but praising this forum.

I live a contradictory existence. I'm used to it.
As I suggested before if you take it to any competent mechanic they will put the belt on in a few seconds.

However, if feel you need to learn to fish, so to speak, and will be taking the belt on and off in the future then by all means get the tool or install the tensioner.

The tensioner for the AC belt is a different part number than the serpentine belt tensioner.
The AC belt to be used with the tensioner is also different (you are right it has to be longer to include the tensioner).

See this thread for part numbers and photos.

N62 A/C Belt Replacement- 2004 BMW 545i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 08-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by bimmerfan52
the ac belt to be used with the tensioner is also different (you are right it has to be longer to include the tensioner).
+1
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545I

Originally Posted by ronmexico
This is interesting. I actually have an extra tensioner! I bought one to replace my stripped out OEM one, but I was able to tension it enough to get it back on the drive belts.....so I have an extra one.

W
I'm going to see if I can get the A/C belt installed with my extra tensioner.

I did order this:
Amazon.com: CTA 3458 BMW A/C Belt Installation Tool: Automotive

I see it only lists 04-06 - but I looked at the crank pulley from both cars (online) and they look the same. Will this tool work for my 2010 550i?

But it won't be here until this weekend. No A/C until then, REALLY sucks in South Texas. I'm going to try and bolt up my extra tensioner.

Which city are you from in South Texas? I just had the AC stretch belt replaced at a friends shop without the tool. Im in McAllen BTW
Old 08-11-2015, 05:21 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by justanotherhemi
Which city are you from in South Texas? I just had the AC stretch belt replaced at a friends shop without the tool. Im in McAllen BTW
SATX! (San Antonio)
Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by twh
Why do you think the stretch belt is a dumb idea? I think it is brilliant and works well. But, for me, I chose to eliminate it as it make repairs more difficult for me. But, for BMW, it saved weight and money and performed perfectly. So, why wouldn't BMW do it? If you have the right tools, replacing the belt is not difficult.