E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC Belt - am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Belt - am I screwed?

So I had to replace my alternator and waterpump to be able to get to work....and I did my belts too.

Well I stripped my tensioner, but that' the least of my problems. I can't get my AC belt back on. I bought a tool from autozone, but it's not big enough.

I did some searching: there's no way to get this belt back on without the special tool is there? I have to get the car running for work tomorrow, so it looks like I might be w/o A/C....

If there's no way to get the belt on, then I'l just take it by the shop after work, Im not going to wait for a special tool when I alrady spent $30 on this POS from autozone.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:49 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What car?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
What car?
lol sorry it's been a long day

2010 550i e60
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

It is a stretch belt. You need the special tool 641040. See these ones below. You can get from Amazon. The generic tools from the auto parts stores won't work. I had to get a different, but special one, for wife's X5 also.You can try to muscle it with a screwdriver, but not worth risking damage to anything (like the compressor pulley).

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...IVww-SCh08fQ5h
Old 08-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop at a garage. A trained mechanic will slip it on in one minute.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Don't ask me how but I managed to do it with no screwdriver, let alone a special tool.

I wrapped the belt around the compressor and the disconnected crank pulley and used a lot of elbow grease and patience to manually screw crank pulley back on. The challenge is to get the first screw on, but once on the rest is cake. Took several attempts but it is doable. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I use a modified hose pinch clamp I got from Harbor Freight. A search might turn something up. It worked well, but I finally got tired of the hassle and just purchased a belt tensioner assembly and did away with the stretch belt all together. Life is much easier now.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

You should have read my DIY on replacing the water pump without removing the crank pulley. Then you wouldn't have to worry about removing the AC belt, among other things.

But try to do what lab.rat did and maybe use something to lever the crank pulley into position so you can screw it into place.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Ronmexico,

See Healthservices tool here:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-124830/page2/

It took me about twenty minutes to get the belt on using his tool idea, but it did work. and it's a LOT cheaper than buying the specialized tool. Especially considering this probably the only time you will do this.

Also, there apparently an unused bolt hole in the engine block where you can install a tensioner, just like the serpentine belt. This is more expensive since you have to buy another tensioner and a different belt, but it is an option.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
Ronmexico,

See Healthservices tool here:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-124830/page2/

It took me about twenty minutes to get the belt on using his tool idea, but it did work. and it's a LOT cheaper than buying the specialized tool. Especially considering this probably the only time you will do this.

Also, there apparently an unused bolt hole in the engine block where you can install a tensioner, just like the serpentine belt. This is more expensive since you have to buy another tensioner and a different belt, but it is an option.

This is interesting. I actually have an extra tensioner! I bought one to replace my stripped out OEM one, but I was able to tension it enough to get it back on the drive belts.....so I have an extra one.

I'm going to see if I can get the A/C belt installed with my extra tensioner.

I did order this:
Amazon.com: CTA 3458 BMW A/C Belt Installation Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: CTA 3458 BMW A/C Belt Installation Tool: Automotive

I see it only lists 04-06 - but I looked at the crank pulley from both cars (online) and they look the same. Will this tool work for my 2010 550i?

But it won't be here until this weekend. No A/C until then, REALLY sucks in South Texas. I'm going to try and bolt up my extra tensioner.

Quick Reply: AC Belt - am I screwed?