E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS-Braking-Driving Stability Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

I have a 2007 530i SMG. I recently replaced the brakes and rotors about 2 months ago. For the past 2 weeks, I have been noticing an increasing softness in the pedal. When I press in, it feels like it is not stopping and I have to push down kind of far. Anyways, today I was driving and I could feel the car getting slower. At first, I though it was a flat tire but I checked and all the tires were fine. Then I noticed that it was the front brakes. It seems as if they are stuck. I was driving at about 30-45 range. I got to the light and the ABS sign came on and the drive slowly sign came on. I attached the pictures. Before I have it towed somewhere, here are the possible things I am thinking:

a) Low brake fluid
b) Incorrect bleeding of brakes upon installation
c) Stuck Break? Thats what it seems like.
d) The parking brake

Thanks for the help everybody!
Attached Thumbnails ABS-Braking-Driving Stability Issue-tn.jpeg   ABS-Braking-Driving Stability Issue-tn-1.jpeg  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I cant see the photos they're too small. I think you may have air in your system. Check your resevoir to see if it's now. If you just replaced pads and rotors you shouldnt be having this issue unless whoever did the job popped a hole in or ripped the caliper and fluid is leaking out and air is getting in. You should have a sealed system. The DSC unit is tied to ABS as well. But chances are that you didn't have anything done so check the resevoir and see if you're low. If you're low, then you have a problem (leak)

Why did you decide to replace the pads/rotors? was it that time or are you having some sort of issue that you thought that pads/rotors would take care of?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System

Yea it was time. My problem is that I am not sure that they bled the brakes properly when replacing the parts. Hopefully I figure it out today. Anyway for me to get the car moving? The front brakes just seem locked on. I don't want to have to get it towed.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Everytime I try to accelerate, I feel like the car is bogged down. And now I think its the front brakes so wish me luck, hopefully I can figure this out without having to tow it to a mechanic. Ill take better pictures in a bit once the coffee kicks in lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Replacing pads and rotors should not require brake bleeding.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

Im leaning towards the battery being bad and causing the DSC to act up causing the ABS to malfunction and lock up the front brakes.
Attached Thumbnails ABS-Braking-Driving Stability Issue-photo-1.jpg   ABS-Braking-Driving Stability Issue-photo2.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

Or I could be totally wrong lol
Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

All the signs are gone now...so Im going to replace the battery today I guess with Duralast Gold 95R-DLG. Hopefully it works.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Update: Brake Fluid is at optimal level...going to try the battery tomorrow but as of now, the car drives fine.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by houbmw
All the signs are gone now...so Im going to replace the battery today I guess with Duralast Gold 95R-DLG. Hopefully it works.
Good deal. Get an H8 battery as it's the same as the OE battery. Q: Did you tell the person to bleed your brakes? If so, then he may have done it and incorrectly. If it was the battery I am sure you'll get more than a simple ABS error. If you asked to have brakes bled he probably let air in the system which will throw this light. The system needs to be completely sealed and air free.

Quick Reply: ABS-Braking-Driving Stability Issue