E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

about to purchase a new 550i, with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stumbled across this website, so I profusely apologize if these topics have been discussed at length previously. I am planning on placing an order for a new 550i this week, and I thought I would throw out a few questions for some input. I currently own a 01 330i in jet black.

I noticed 3 different types of black paint that are available. I was planning on staying with the jet black, but wondered if others decided to go down a different path with the other black paints available. The local BMW dealer does not have examples of the other blacks available now, or anytime soon.

The second question is the comfort access key. It seems absurd to me that for a car that costs as much as the 550i does it costs $1,000 to have the feature. I believe Lexus has the feature baked into the base price of most of their models, if not all of them. How many of you have decided to purchase the option?

Finally, my 330i has a manual transmission. I would generally like to stay with the manual, but it seems to me that with a car the size of the 550i perhaps it is no longer practical. As everyone probably already knows, the posted 0 to 60 times indicate the auto is essentialy as fast as the manual. I also suspect that the resale value of a 550i with a stick is probably very low, but that is simply a guess. I asked my local dealer about how many 550is are sold to the number of 535is, and he thought it was something like one 550i for every twenty 535is sold. I then asked him how many of the 550is have manuals, and he said none.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have. Happy holidays.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rob Ouellette' post='510343
I noticed 3 different types of black paint that are available. I was planning on staying with the jet black, but wondered if others decided to go down a different path with the other black paints available. The local BMW dealer does not have examples of the other blacks available now, or anytime soon.
I prefer Carbonschwarz metallic, several of us ordered that color and are very happy with it. If you search, you will see multiple discusions on this. It's the best choice in the black family. In fact, there was a discussion earlier today.

Originally Posted by Rob Ouellette' post='510343
Finally, my 330i has a manual transmission. I would generally like to stay with the manual, but it seems to me that with a car the size of the 550i perhaps it is no longer practical. As everyone probably already knows, the posted 0 to 60 times indicate the auto is essentialy as fast as the manual. I also suspect that the resale value of a 550i with a stick is probably very low, but that is simply a guess. I asked my local dealer about how many 550is are sold to the number of 535is, and he thought it was something like one 550i for every twenty 535is sold. I then asked him how many of the 550is have manuals, and he said none.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be "practical" - in what respect do you mean? I have the six-speed manual and I know several other people here also ordered their cars with that (and a few ordered the sport automatic, which comes with a strange piece of plastic around the selector knob, making for a not-very-finished look). The six-speed manual is like butter.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rob Ouellette' post='510343' date='Dec 24 2007, 04:45 PM
I just stumbled across this website, so I profusely apologize if these topics have been discussed at length previously. I am planning on placing an order for a new 550i this week, and I thought I would throw out a few questions for some input. I currently own a 01 330i in jet black.

The second question is the comfort access key. It seems absurd to me that for a car that costs as much as the 550i does it costs $1,000 to have the feature. I believe Lexus has the feature baked into the base price of most of their models, if not all of them. How many of you have decided to purchase the option?

Welcome to E60.net, Rob

1) I personally like the Carbon Black which is unique to the 550 Sport.

2) it seems to me the E60 was designed to be a "comfort access" car as there are redundant steps if you don't have the feature (you still need to insert the key before pressing the start/stop button). It should be standard, but it isn't... That said, I had it on my 550 and I highly recommend it.

3) Unless you're set on a 6 speed I'd recommend you try the Sport Auto. It shifts incredibly quickly, rev matches on downshifts, and will be quicker in most cases than the manual.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rob Ouellette' post='510343' date='Dec 24 2007, 04:45 PM

1. All personal preference... Carbon black has a Blue to it in bright sunlight... if you like black cars you cant go wrong sticking with Jet Black... unless you want a change.

2. Get the Comfort Access. Its ridiculous yes I know but the new key is built for comfort access with out it its really stupid to stick the key in and then remove your hand from the key and THEN push the button to start it.

3. Ummm Thats also a personal preference thing. I know many here have gotten 6 speed with their E60. Depending how long you want to keep the car resale wont be too much difference... theres always a buyer out there for manual... it might take you longer to sell it but is it worth it to "suffer" 5 years or however long you plan to keep the car? Pick a tranny you like. Try the Sports Auto... its actually a really nice transmission... DO NOT get the regular tranny... it should either be the Sports tranny or 6 spd manual. Otherwise its really a waste. ESPECIALLY for you... I say that because you seem to like manual trannys so Sports Auto would be the next best thing BMW has to offer... Too bad they dropped SMG.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forum.

1. I have black sapphire. I think Jet Black is the "blackest". It doesn't get "greyed out" by the metallic flakes. However, it's the metallic flakes that hides swirls and smudges a bit better than Jet Black. If I could have gotten Carbon Black, I would have.

2. I have CA and love it. Is it worth $1000, I'm not sure. But there are many CA applications that you discover after owning the car.

3. The 550 is awesome no doubt. The 535 seems like a great value to me.

My pick: Carbon Black 535 with Comfort Access. Whatever you get, the 5 series is great in every way.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

I have a black sapphire and love it, it hides swirls a little better than regular black. That said, if you really love your black cars, then get a jet black, just be ready to take care of it.

I do not have comfort access, but I feel that I should have gotten it now. It should be standard, but its not so spend the extra grand and get it.

Look, it all depends on what you like to drive. I personally like to drive the six-speed, but I wasnt able to purchase it due to other people in the family not being able to drive a stick, so I got SMG!!! I would say get the stick if you love to drive stick, but from what I have heard, the new sport automatic is really impressive. Just remember that a stick is a stick!!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome to the forums -- you found the right place to learn all about the E60 from owners around the world!

As others have said, color is a personal preference. Carbon black really does have a blue shade to it in different lighting conditions. It's a great color and it's exclusive to the 550 (at least for now) so it's not so common on the road. If you're looking for a true black, you need to choose one of the other variants.

Yes, comfort access is wonderful. It's worth the money unless you're really trying to cut down options to hit a specific price point.

As far as transmissions go, I agree with EBMCS03 that you should either get a manual or the sport automatic. Only you can determine what's right for you. The manual is great on this car but so is the sport auto so whatever you choose, you'll be getting a great transmission...
Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I can personally attest to the fact that manual in the 550 is far better than that in my '05 E46. Jonathan's comment of "like butter" is an understatement. I continue to be amazed by this car as I get more acquainted with it. The word "incredible" fails to do it justice.

Jet black is nice, but probably the most difficult to maintain (my E46 was jet black). Carbon Black is an interesting color that takes on different hues depending on the lighting, and seems to be slightly easier to maintain, but it's still black.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM
aR.
Members

I had a few Jet Black BMW's before my Current 550- where I decided to switch to Sapphire Metallic Black and simply love it - better in my opinion than Jet Black [ simply a personal preference, I suppose]. If I had to go over one more time, I will definitly switch from Blacks in to greys - go with space grey or metallic silver as Black car is really harder to keep clean and greys simply tend to hold/ hide the dirt better - much longer during the wash intervals - Experience from our other vehicle - my wife's sterling grey X5 which is much much easier to upkeep on a regular basis and always look cleaner than my Sapphire Metallic Black 550- parked side by side in our garage.

I did not order comfort access (nothing to do with cost) as I had heard strange and horrible experiences/ and stories from some friends and colleagues with their BMW's and Mercedes sometime leaving car keys on top of car roofs as well as in close proximity in the brief case/ jacket pockets when leaving and some time leave home without the brief case or that particular jacket which has the car key ( but not in their pockets or IN the cars) and ended up loosing the connection when car is not in the close proximity to the transmitter. My point is if one needs to Always remember to keep the key in their very own pocket and check that before leaving home then why not simply take it out of the pocket and place it on the dash where it is supposed to go in the first place. I know we will have differing opinions on this for sure, but in my humble point of view, we all go through so much of a wonderful experience "with our ultimate driving machine" then what is the big deal in simply taking the key out of the pocket, placing it in the dash- in the designed location which is specifically made for it and pressing the start button - why being inactive or rather somewhat lethargic all of a sudden in order to do a the starting procedure???..anyway as I said , it is a personal choice and I would feel more secure that I always "have the key with me & in front of me " than try finding out in the middle of the interstate that the transmitter is not in the close proximity and go through a mess. I love having that assurance that all things are in my control and I don?t have to remember it?anyway..here are my 0.02c on this topic?

Whatever you get Enjoy ?you will Love it no matter what. 550 certainly is a wonderful machine?. Happy Holidays?!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Just one more opinion for you . . .

If you're in the US, carbon black is only available on the 550 sport. So it makes it a bit more exclusive here. It's really a beautiful color and doesn't suffer some of the swirl issues that my Jet Black E39 did.

Comfort Access is a great option. I tend to look at the total price of the car I want as opposed to individually priced options. And no matter how much less expensive the Lexus is, it will never be a cheaper BMW.

As the others have said, get whatever transmission you want. I'm on my fifth 5er with a manual and will keep driving them as long as BMW builds them.

Good luck. Have fun. Happy holidays.

Quick Reply: about to purchase a new 550i, with a few questions