E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

? about noisy brakes and brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brakes are really getting noisy. Now its gotten to the point where it "squeaks" with that high pitched noise whenever I lightly apply brakes. I have around 35K miles on the car. If the car still has original brake pads would 35K be a normal time to change out the pads? Also what is the typical cost for replacing them?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Members

Mine had the same problem when I reached 39k last month, just take it to the dealer and they'll replace it for free.. should be under the 50k warranty
Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by Kryptus' post='1061963' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:54 PM
My brakes are really getting noisy. Now its gotten to the point where it "squeaks" with that high pitched noise whenever I lightly apply brakes. I have around 35K miles on the car. If the car still has original brake pads would 35K be a normal time to change out the pads? Also what is the typical cost for replacing them?

35,000 miles is pretty good for life of brakes. constant squeaking typically means it needs to be changed.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Members

No factory warranty. I got a Mercury platinum policy, but brakes most likely wont be covered.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

ur parking break has moved out of place. mine had the same problem and bmw took about 4 visits to fix it
Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

I had the same problem on my 06 550, had about 40K miles on it at the time. Dealer replaced all the pads (and I assume sensors) under warranty and no noise since (about 7000 miles on them). I don't think the pads were worn down. If you do a search you'll see this is a big issue with BMWs.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Members

Man this is bullshit!

Took my car to "the best" independant for my break noise. They just told me the sensors are rubbing my pads or discs front and back. That is whats causing the noise when I lightly apply brakes. They said there is no fix for it. I could replace my pads and that will get rid of it, but the noise will come back long before the pads need replacing again. WTF So I can either live with the noise or I can pay to keep replacing my brakes waaay before its necessary, over and over again...

Please someone tell me this isnt right...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

that sure aint right alright!!

when i first did my brakes (fairly easy btw), it squeeled like a horny cat late at night. i had replaced the pad and the rotors only,the sensor was fine. what i found out was when i had inserted the sensor back on the pad (rear wheel), i had inserted it in between the rotor and pad which is not right. it should go on the pad itself in a notch designed for its placement. coincidentally the sensor fits perfectly in between the rotor and a new pad so it could be easily installed incorrectly. if this is the case just remove the wheels (driver front and pass. rear) and re-insert both sensors onto the pad.

if this dont help, then odds are your pads aren't compatible with the rotors. you might be using semi-metallic. try switching to ceramic pads. or vice versa

good luck
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

The brake pad sensor squealing is a known problem and BMW now use a different sensor with the pads that doesn't make any noise. The sensor has to be fitted with new pads though so there isn't a cheap fix. I did find my brakes stopped sqealing after a couple of thousand miles though.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='1070755' date='Dec 9 2009, 12:12 PM
The brake pad sensor squealing is a known problem and BMW now use a different sensor with the pads that doesn't make any noise. The sensor has to be fitted with new pads though so there isn't a cheap fix. I did find my brakes stopped sqealing after a couple of thousand miles though.
Never needed to change brake pads nor sensors on my three E60's, but on the E39's the sensors where not close the pads
nor the reason to the squeeze problem.

Therefore I do doubt this.

The squeeze problem is usually do to brakes not used hard enough or do to high mileage and/or hard driving wear.

Front brake pads needs replacing at some 35 to 40 k miles and the rear ones at about double the mileage.
Brake disks need to be renewed every second time the pads are changed.

Be sure the change the sensors also, every time you change the pads!

Quick Reply: ? about noisy brakes and brake pads