E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Able to lower windows with a screwdriver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I read it here before but a friend of mine had his 545 broken into by someone jamming a screwdriver into the drivers door lock then turning it to open the windows. Is BMW working on this issue?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This was posted just a week or so ago here. It seems that if you are able to turn the lock as if the key were inserted, you'd be able to drop the windows and the roof. For that matter, I suppose the doors would unlock too.

The question is whether or not you can easily turn the lock cylinder with a screwdriver. There was a poster here that had his car damaged by someone attempting to steal the car. Fortunately, it's a lot tougher to actually get the thing started and moving...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 15 2004, 08:56 PM
I read it here before but a friend of mine had his 545 broken into by someone jamming a screwdriver into the drivers door lock then turning it to open the windows. Is BMW working on this issue?
[snapback]69554[/snapback]
This has been a problem on X5's for 2-3 years (called lock-popping). Seems like BMW would have instituted some counter-measures by now?!?!?!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545I SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic 7 Pkg, Sport Pkg, BMW Nav Pkg, HUD Pkg, Gargo Liner.

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 15 2004, 11:56 PM
[snapback]69554[/snapback]
OMG whos your friend ??? they try to jack my 2 weeks ago with the same method
they jam a screwdriver in my driver door and pop out the lock and all windows open
plus my door is damage which i didn't notice till i took the car to the dealer last week
I'm thinking about trading it in for another 545i <---

by the way I'm in fresh meadow I'm 5mins from long island
Old 12-16-2004, 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I Titanium Silver Metallic / Black Leather / Poplar Grain Wood Trim /Automatic Cold Weather Package / Heated Rear Seats / Xenon Headlights / Sirius Satellite Radio Leather Selector Lever w/Wood Inlay / Wood E-Brake Handle / Red Rear Reflectors / BMW All Weather Mats / BMW All Weather Trunk Liner / LoJack Anti-theft System

This has been a scheme going on for a long time in Westchester and the Bronx as well. There not actually trying to steal your car but there trying to get your owners manual/registration materials and stuff. My friend had his 2002 325ci broken into the same way and all they took was his book out of the glove compartment. After talking with the police they had mentioned something about how they were using the registration? or insurance cards? to re-register other stolen cars. So make sure not to leave those things in the car. This has been happening since early summer around here to my knowledge.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:34 AM
JDN
Contributors

The VIN is visible wo breaking any glass.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Contributors

I never cared for the feature, but I do use lock to hut windows and sunroof. Isn't it possible to disable the opening feature via software setting?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

Actualli Ive had it done twice to me. The first time was last year with my 2003 M3 and recently with my 545 which was a couple of weeks ago. What they do is pop the lock which rolls down the windows and disarms the alarm. Then they look in your glove for the plastic valet key, which a lot of people leave in the car for emergencies. If they can get in your car the easiest way to steal it is obviously with a key. If there is no key in there, my experience has been that they just leave the car sitting there. The last time it happened to me I was in the Douglaston shopping center in queens and my car was parked in a very visible spot. Both times I had my Valentine 1, sunglasses, money left in the car. This time my girlfriend had left her Fendi bag in there and I had a Canali suit hanging from the hook over one of the back seats. All they wanted was to take the care with a quick getaway.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Has this occured anywhere else..or is it a NY thing...Okay...driving BMW = Good...BMW in NY = BAD...got the drift.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributors

should we leave the glove comparment open when partking in those areas? with nothing in it so that they know there is nothing to still? just my opinion.

I'll take my own advice

I wonder how come the alarm does not get activated to scare the butt out of them

Quick Reply: Able to lower windows with a screwdriver.