E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

94.000 km - engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I had a really bad luck with my car. A small piece of the admission mechanism felt into the 6th cylinder and damaged the engine beyond repair.
Someone told me that there is a posibility that BMW might cover some part of the new engine costs considering the 94.000km mileage and the fact that the car was up to date with the services.
The car is buit 2003 so the waranty is expired.
Does anyone have any related information with a similar problem?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Sorry to hear about ur engine... i dont have any mechanical experience so really can help with that...
But im sure you should push with the BMW warranty.. its very unusal for a engine to fail this soon in its life.. ask your dealer about BMW "good will" gestures. if all goes well they may send you a new engine free of charge and leave you to pay only the labour... or spilt the new engine price with you and leave the labour to you... either way you should push for that... good luck... and if you are a long time customer of there it helps alot, even more if you recently bought another new BMW..
Old 07-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Ovidiu' post='452114' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:49 AM
Hi everyone

I had a really bad luck with my car. A small piece of the admission mechanism felt into the 6th cylinder and damaged the engine beyond repair.
Someone told me that there is a posibility that BMW might cover some part of the new engine costs considering the 94.000km mileage and the fact that the car was up to date with the services.
The car is buit 2003 so the waranty is expired.
Does anyone have any related information with a similar problem?

Thank you in advance.
I know a friend whos block cracked on an older 540 and BMW replaced the engine , this was well past the warranty period. Better go to you dealer with a nice bottle of wine and ask .

Good Luck
Old 07-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Members

exactly ask as you never know, as long as its not been taking apart already by none bmw dealer.
Also a fully bmw service history may help. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Members

Not BMW I know but....

A close friend of mine has a Honda CRV with 62000 miles on the clock at 5 years old which is out of waranty. It decided to throw a conrod out of the block at motorway speeds and made a horrendous mess of the engine. The car had been serviced regularly, and in the last two years serviced by a non Honda dealer, but with backup to show Honda parts and service routines were followed.

Honda stumped up a new engine leaving the labour cost to my friend. Upon return, the gearbox started leaking oil and the air con pump made a really nasty rattle. The local dealer took it back in, fixed the gearbox, replaced the air con pump (?1000 part on it's own), serviced and MOT'd the car while they had it (about 3 weeks) and in the end agreed to charge him only ?330.00

Definately worth pushing your case back to BMW I think. If they don't respond well at first (as Honda didn't) play a little more agressively, the goodwill will hopefully then come from BMW....

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Members

Thanks all for your input.

I have a scheduled meeting with the dealer on monday.I'll keep you informed.