E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

87 Octane Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 04:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I had to get gasoline in NJ this morning, where there is no self-serve. Although I said to fill up with Premium, the attendant started filling up with 87 octane gas. I saw that right away and stopped him, so he swiped my credit card again and pressed the button for premium gasoline. HOWEVER, after that I saw him press the low grade button again several times, but the price display remained over the Premium button, suggesting that this is indeed what went into the tank. My question is: can they somehow fool me and fill up with a different grade than what the price display indicates, and MORE IMPORTANTLY: how bad is it if the tank was filled up with 87 octane? I will avoid this gas station in the future, but I want to know if any damage can occur due to the wrong gasoline, or if everything will be okay if I fill up with premium again next time.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

YOu can get an octane booster at an auto parts store if you like. The knock sensor should prevent anything bad happening to the engine, you just won't have max. performance. I would fill up again with premium when you get down a 1/4 tank, then keep doing that 3 more times 'till all the gas is replaced.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Peter,

There is nothing to worry about. Just don't give your 545i too much load and it'll be fine. Jimbo was right, there is a knock sensor which will retard the timing to prevent engine knock.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Man I guess it depends what part of the country you live in. I haven't seen anything but self serve in years.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Oct 1 2004, 08:44 AM
Man I guess it depends what part of the country you live in.? I haven't seen anything but self serve in years.
[snapback]40064[/snapback]

NJ is one of those states where the politicians think the general populace is unable to handle the mind blowing task of filling ones own tank, hence no self service in the state of NJ. But on the other hand gas prices in NJ for full service are generally cheaper then the rest of the country for self service.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Skipper are you serious? No self self serve in NJ by law?!?!?! I never knew that, learn something new everyday.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

I was amazed at the price of gas down here in Texas after moving from Chicago. What is the price of a gallon in N.J. ? I think here it is currently about $1.89 for premium.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:37 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 1 2004, 09:56 AM
NJ is one of those states where the politicians think the general populace is unable to handle the mind blowing task of filling ones own tank, hence no self service in the state of NJ. But on the other hand gas prices in NJ for full service are generally cheaper then the rest of the country for self service.
[snapback]40090[/snapback]
Better put a fence around NJ and keep 'em all home if they can't handle the nozzle. Full service can be hard to find.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Man, we're paying $2.30 a gollon here in SoCal. SELFSERVE!

I really like full serve though. Nothing beats having some pumping gas for you on a rainy day. I hate wetting my carpet. Otherwise, I prefer to pump my own gas.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

You could get some of the rubber mats from BMW or mats.com and pay for them with self serve savings.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane Gasoline