E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

750i Sport vs 550i Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - it's late here in Boston, but I just got back from the Pats game and am still pumped up . . .

I drove a friend's 750 sport down to Foxboro and my 550 sport back. It's really amazing how different the two cars are. The 7er is really a beautiful and smooth driving car, but the thin steering wheel (even on the sport model), the lack of active steering (I know you won't miss it if you've never had it, but once you drive with it, how do you go back?), and the relative lack of handling make it more like a Merc than a BMW for me. And I've got to tell you, the interior of the 7er is an amazing ergonomic mess. I've often felt that the 5er's interior is so stark as to make it unluxury-like. That's just wrong.

So I was pretty excited after the Pat's win and drove home pretty aggressively in the 5er. Fun, fun, fun. I've fallen in love with my car all over again . . .
Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='517126' date='Jan 13 2008, 12:12 AM
OK - it's late here in Boston, but I just got back from the Pats game and am still pumped up . . .

I drove a friend's 750 sport down to Foxboro and my 550 sport back. It's really amazing how different the two cars are. The 7er is really a beautiful and smooth driving car, but the thin steering wheel (even on the sport model), the lack of active steering (I know you won't miss it if you've never had it, but once you drive with it, how do you go back?), and the relative lack of handling make it more like a Merc than a BMW for me. And I've got to tell you, the interior of the 7er is an amazing ergonomic mess. I've often felt that the 5er's interior is so stark as to make it unluxury-like. That's just wrong.

So I was pretty excited after the Pat's win and drove home pretty aggressively in the 5er. Fun, fun, fun. I've fallen in love with my car all over again . . .
I had the same feeling after driving a 750 and appreciated my 550 even more.

And nice game there Pats fans. We're pretty pumped-up here in Lambeau-land today too.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MadTown 550i' post='517136' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:33 AM
I had the same feeling after driving a 750 and appreciated my 550 even more.

And nice game there Pats fans. We're pretty pumped-up here in Lambeau-land today too.
Classic, classic game up in Green Bay. Pats-Packers Superbowl would be amazing. Not to stray too far off the real topic, but how about a swap? - Red Sox - Yankees tickets at Fenway for Packers - Bears tickets at Lambeau . . . (btw, I'm serious!!)
Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Contributors

I recently moved from an e38 '01 740 to an '07 530xi; here's what I miss:
  • Roomy comfortable passenger accommodations front and rear
  • Panache - it's a Seven!
  • V-8 Power (with a capital P)
  • Good handling highway cruiser - esp with PZero's
  • Great Brakes

What I don't miss:
  • Problematic transmission, cooling system, suspension repairs
  • Resale price plummets

What I like about the e60:
  • Crisp handling, nimble
  • Great seats
  • Mid-sized
  • BMW warranty (too expensive being on your own with an older BMW)
  • Features like better BT technology and "comfort access"
  • Strong resale value (really anticipating diesel availability in the USA! - first BMW was '86 524td - loved it!)

What I don't "like" as much:
  • Looks less significant (it's not a "Seven")
  • Features abound ... took two weeks studying the on-line owners manual to prep for purchase
  • Electronics take too long to boot (esp PDC). Dealer will examine at next service.
  • Sports suspension and RFT feel harsh on rough secondary roads
  • My spouse wants to drive it!

I gave a new Seven lots of thought ... but spending an additional 25K wasn't part of the plan this year.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

7rs and 5rs are defineatly two different vehicals which are tops in there respective classes. With my growing famiy, I think the 7 will be my next bmw of choice...once the newest version arrives (hopefully with more power)! It would be nice if it handled closer to the 550 or even better like a 335!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='517231' date='Jan 13 2008, 08:33 AM
Classic, classic game up in Green Bay. Pats-Packers Superbowl would be amazing. Not to stray too far off the real topic, but how about a swap? - Red Sox - Yankees tickets at Fenway for Packers - Bears tickets at Lambeau . . . (btw, I'm serious!!)
Deal on the tickets. I'll send you a PM.