E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

7 days left till the end of Owner's Choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

I've been a happy owner of 2004 525i and now time had come for me to turn my car in. I thought about getting another E60, but then decided to refi mine and keep it maybe for another year. Well, here is a problem. I had my car in shop twice this month because of engine was running kind of rough. So, yesterday it completely gave up and was towed to BMW Service...

At first (three weeks ago) I was told that there was nothing wrong with it and right before I left my office I got a cal from my SA, whose said that he thinks they found a problem with one of the modules, which might have to be reprogrammed. He just wasn't sure if they can do it or it needs to go to BMW of N.A. Apparently BMW had authorized our local dealer to reprogram that module and car was ready for pick up next day. Hour after I got my car the engine started to vibrate again (when sitting at the traffic light).

So, I ended up taking it back to the service. Now, this time they said that BMW of N.A. told them to take fuel sample so they did and came back with just bizarre discovery: turned out I was running on fuel mixture 75% of which consisted alcohol!!! I guess if I add 25% then I could really start saving money on gas. My SA said that norm for BMW should be not more than 12%. Basically they recommended that I use different gas station and also made a statement that there was no damage to an engine and fuel related parts. Get this, I'm on my way back to service when call comes from SA saying that apparently they discovered that device they used to take fuel sample was faulty. I was asked not to come and keep a loaner (brand new X5!) over the weekend. So, I put about 400 miles on it!

Final verdict was that the fuel had bad mixture and they recommended to burn all fuel out and fill up again at the different gas station.

Everything was running fine till yesterday. Went shopping, get back to my car...start an engine...shift transmission in reverse and...engine shuts off! Shift back to P...turn ignition...engine runs for 2-3 seconds and then dies. Tried to start it several times, but has same results. Called BMW Assist and asked them to sent a wrecker.

Now it's in service. Don't know what the problem is yet, but now I['m not sure what to do. I really like it and want to keep it, but I have some reservations now due to a recent problems. I still have 6K left on original warranty and was thinking about getting an extended warranty.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

If I were leasing I would go for a new car instead of buying back the old one. Driving a BMW is great, driving a new one even better. Have you consider the LCI E60? The new engines are more powerful.

BTW what gas station you fill up with? 75% alcohol
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by Serge007' post='416928' date='Apr 23 2007, 01:02 PM
I've been a happy owner of 2004 525i and now time had come for me to turn my car in.
What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!
I would only keep it if it was perfect. I still miss my '98 M3 which had ZERO issues in 6 years... I am leasing E60 now and if it has zero problems in 3 years, I'll consider buying it.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Members

I would suggest checking the current trade-in value of the car. Compare that value to the amount of the balloon you will have to pay at the end of Owners' Choice. I am guessing that your numbers will work as mine did. I my case, the trade-in value was less than the amount of the balloon payment, so purely from a financial standpoint, it did not make sense to make the balloon payment to keep the car. If you decide to finance the balloon payment instead of paying cash, you will end up paying more for the car than you would have if you had put the car on a 5 or 6 year note in the beginning. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='417045' date='Apr 23 2007, 08:39 PM
If I were leasing I would go for a new car instead of buying back the old one. Driving a BMW is great, driving a new one even better. Have you consider the LCI E60? The new engines are more powerful.

BTW what gas station you fill up with? 75% alcohol

well, the thing is that they were not sure what was the content of alcohol after all

I usually use Exxon
Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by enelrojo' post='417181' date='Apr 24 2007, 08:40 AM
I would suggest checking the current trade-in value of the car. Compare that value to the amount of the balloon you will have to pay at the end of Owners' Choice. I am guessing that your numbers will work as mine did. I my case, the trade-in value was less than the amount of the balloon payment, so purely from a financial standpoint, it did not make sense to make the balloon payment to keep the car. If you decide to finance the balloon payment instead of paying cash, you will end up paying more for the car than you would have if you had put the car on a 5 or 6 year note in the beginning. Good luck.

Trade-in value is more than payoff since I made some down payment when was buying back in 04 (wanted to keep payments low). So that is why I'm thinking about keeping it for another year cause I don't think I end up upside down on it.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uglybear' post='417098' date='Apr 24 2007, 12:47 AM
I would only keep it if it was perfect. I still miss my '98 M3 which had ZERO issues in 6 years... I am leasing E60 now and if it has zero problems in 3 years, I'll consider buying it.

congrats on your new 530!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Just got phone call form BMW Center...my car is ready. They had to replace camshaft and censor. I guess not that big of a problem. I'll get more details once I'm at the service department.

Thanks for your support!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Serge007' post='417203' date='Apr 24 2007, 09:25 AM
Just got phone call form BMW Center...my car is ready. They had to replace camshaft and censor. I guess not that big of a problem. I'll get more details once I'm at the service department.

Thanks for your support!
Excellent! And probably doesn't need to be said after this, but if you are keeping the car, get the extended warranty! If you do, read the fine print closely as the BMW warranty does not cover much of the electronics. Most dealers also offer a third-party warranty that, for a nearly comparable price, will cover electronics.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='417214' date='Apr 24 2007, 09:40 AM
Excellent! And probably doesn't need to be said after this, but if you are keeping the car, get the extended warranty! If you do, read the fine print closely as the BMW warranty does not cover much of the electronics. Most dealers also offer a third-party warranty that, for a nearly comparable price, will cover electronics.
do you have any experience with purchasing extended warranty? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 7 days left till the end of Owner's Choice