E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6sp Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Hey all, I would like some advice on how I should go about teaching my wife how to drive a manual transmission. I don't want to limit her from driving my car (it will be very minimal), but we do take long, no stop trips (14+ hours) and I will need her to know how to drive my car. She doesn't necessarily have to like it, I just need her to be efficient at doing it.

About 6 years ago, a friend let me keep his Jetta for 10 after a quick tutorial, and I just struggled through it until I had it down. He has offered to help her, but I think she may need professional instruction. I can even get a little better myself, but after his experience and then riding motorcycles, I'm pretty decent. BUT, if I try to teach my wife, it will end in divorce...so, how have you guys accomplished this? Should I call around to some of the driving schools and see if any of them specialize in manual transmission training. I haven't seen anyone advertise for this service, but I know it has to be out there. I also don't want to use my car during the initial training process.

This also applies to any wives that have had to teach their husbands.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

I know there are racing schools that do things like that. Don't know of anyone private. If she learns on your car, you should wait until it is 100% broken in. You don't want her messing up the brand new engine.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Take her to a large parking area and practice starting from a stop and then stopping from a roll. She should get it pretty quick. Next practice from a stop going up a hill. I think those are the hardest, other than a panic situation, things to do.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

It's really hard to teach your wife how to drive a stick. I've tried it without avail. It has been done though, but it is hard. That's why I bought SMG this time around, expecting that by eliminating the clutch, my wife would be able to drive my car. As it turns out, it wasn't the machanic of shifting that turns my wife off, it was the mental aspect of shifting that turns her off.

When she drives my car (rarely), the radio must be off and the conversation must be kept at minimum in order to not distract herself. She does not change lane frequently, misses exits and stop signs.

So, I would recommend that your wife practice the concept of when to shift, with you driving, before getting behind the wheel.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Couldn't you just put it in "Auto" mode?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

The manual tranny should be easy to teach. Worry more about the Idrive. My wife is just plain afraid of it. She went to take my car to work the other day, got have way down the driveway, couldn't figure out how to work the radio, got out, and took her car.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Haha. If you never teach her, she'll never want to drive you car
Old 05-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='May 24 2005, 10:00 AM
Couldn't you just put it in "Auto" mode?
[snapback]132687[/snapback]
No, the Auto mode sucks. The lag is unbearable, even with you timing the shifts using the gas pedal. The only thing that AUTO does well (SMG) is downshifting.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:28 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

You might try this method I finally came to use when teaching my daughter to drive a stick...

(1) Go to some large, mostly deserted, parking lot. A church or someplace like that which usually only has cars at certain times. It must have large flat areas.

(2) The hardest thing for newbies to learn is the interplay between letting the clutch out and giving the engine some accelerator without stalling the car or smoking the tires.

(3) Start by having them first master letting the clutch out and not stalling the car. I do this by telling them to *not* touch the gas pedal at all. So, they basically master letting the clutch out and feeling it grab without stalling the car. Once they let the clutch out and the car is moving with no accelerator, have them push the clutch back in and then come to a stop.

Do this over and over until they master letting the clutch out without stalling the car, but *not* using the accelerator at all. Do this on a level area. Master this in first gear and forget about the other gears for now.

(4) Once (3) is mastered, let them add the accelerator to get started more seamlessly in first gear.

(5) Once (4) is mastered, changing gears is easy.

(6) Now add an incline start. By now, they know the feel of the clutch grabbing and when to add accelerator and how much. Starting on an incline will still require some practice, but they have the basics.

Things like down shifting will come with time.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Why not come to Europe for a vacation and bust a couple of rental cars to get her used to what all our wives and girlfriends over here do every day. It aint so tricky - it just takes a little practice.

Find a deserted lot and play kangaroo for a couple hours, it'll soon get worked through.

Good luck!
Andy

Quick Reply: 6sp Manual