E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6MT Tech: Gears Grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across something that doesn't seem right. Tonight on the highway, there was someone driving in front of me that was swerving quite a bit. So I wanted to pass them just incase if they were driving under the influence or something. I was doing about 70-75 mph, I fully depressed the clutch and I moved the shifter from 6th to 3rd (Don't worry, I rev match my shifts). As I'm pushing the gear shifter into 3rd, all of a sudden, the gears start grinding. This is with the clutch fully depressed. I tried it a few time and the problem persisted. Under 70 mph, it works fine. I even sped up to 80-85 mph to see if it still did it and it did. Is there something going wrong? I've never had this happen to me in any of the MT cars I've ever driven.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

How many miles on the car? Maybe a tranny fluid flush is in order?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

either you need to bleed/flush your clutch hydraulic line or something is wrong with your slave cylinder. mine gets a little crunchy about first gear sometimes, but only at a stop.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
How many miles on the car? Maybe a tranny fluid flush is in order?
I just clocked 47k yesterday. How long is the tranny fluid supposed to be good for?

Originally Posted by 545felix
either you need to bleed/flush your clutch hydraulic line or something is wrong with your slave cylinder. mine gets a little crunchy about first gear sometimes, but only at a stop.
I've noticed that too. When putting it in first gear, it does the same thing as yours. I just got the CDV delete a couple days ago. When I put it in, I'm going to have to bleed the lines anyways, so I can start from there. I just wasn't sure if it was a problem with the clutch disengaging properly or something.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd
I just clocked 47k yesterday. How long is the tranny fluid supposed to be good for?

I've noticed that too. When putting it in first gear, it does the same thing as yours. I just got the CDV delete a couple days ago. When I put it in, I'm going to have to bleed the lines anyways, so I can start from there. I just wasn't sure if it was a problem with the clutch disengaging properly or something.
47k is nothing....yea just try bleeding and then tranny flush if that doesn't fix it..
Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT Alpine White, 2013 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White

This happened in one of my older cars and it was a bad slave cylinder. A common problem in manual cars, and not too expensive to replace...
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

If you did CDV delete recently and prior to doing CDV, your car didn't have this issue then it's more than likely improperly fluid bleeding
(makes it look like bad Clutch Slave Cylinder going bad)

How did you bleed the CDV? Old school method? Pressure bleed?
Or did you pressure bleed from the bottom to the reservoir?

I tried old school method and I could not even get the clutch cylinder to bleed at all then I borrowed my friend's pressure bleed and it bleeds fine after that.

Good luck..
Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
47k is nothing....yea just try bleeding and then tranny flush if that doesn't fix it..
I'm going to try both of those soon.

Originally Posted by Fleainat
This happened in one of my older cars and it was a bad slave cylinder. A common problem in manual cars, and not too expensive to replace...
Thanks for the input. I'm going to look into it.

Originally Posted by salaki
If you did CDV delete recently and prior to doing CDV, your car didn't have this issue then it's more than likely improperly fluid bleeding
(makes it look like bad Clutch Slave Cylinder going bad)

How did you bleed the CDV? Old school method? Pressure bleed?
Or did you pressure bleed from the bottom to the reservoir?

I tried old school method and I could not even get the clutch cylinder to bleed at all then I borrowed my friend's pressure bleed and it bleeds fine after that.

Good luck..
I haven't installed the CDV delete yet. Sorry if my post was a little misleading. I will put it in when I flush the tranny and bleed the hydraulic line.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

Do a fluid flush, and bleed your slave real well. Your clutch is not fully disengaging for some reason, most likely because of the slave.
Might be worn pressure plate as well, but unlikely.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Members

I just spoke with my friend who is very knowledgeable about BMWs. He said most likely the syncros are shot. Looks like I'm going to have to drop the trans when I put it away for the winter. I'll just have to take it easy for the next couple months.

Quick Reply: 6MT Tech: Gears Grinding?