E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6FL USB Option and Track Display on LCD

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys

Just ordered an E60 525d M Sport and have specced the USB Option.

I'm about to order a 4GB USB stick to load some tunes onto, and wondered what file system you use (i.e. do i create a new folder on the USB stick for each CD/Artist)?

Do any of you have any photos showing how the LCD display shows track names and artists?

Does the HiFi pick these names up from the ID3 tags or is it the file name I create when ripping my CD's?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TT32DSG' post='423029' date='May 10 2007, 02:28 PM
Guys
Just ordered an E60 525d M Sport and have specced the USB Option.
I'm about to order a 4GB USB stick to load some tunes onto, and wondered what file system you use (i.e. do i create a new folder on the USB stick for each CD/Artist)?
Do any of you have any photos showing how the LCD display shows track names and artists?
Does the HiFi pick these names up from the ID3 tags or is it the file name I create when ripping my CD's?
Congratz ... great choice.
It doesn't matter how you put your music on the stick. The system is going to read out the MP3 ID3tags to create it's meta database. I've put the following structure which works fine:
ARTIST\ALBUM\SONG
ARTIST\ALBUM\CD1\SONG
ARTIST\ALBUM\CD1\SONG

I have seen pictures on this forum ... try searching this forum.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Members

Hi there, new to the forum.

Wondering if anyone can confirm.

I have ordered 520D SE in the UK. Delivery expected in early June. I called last week to try and add the 6FL/USB option but was told that it was too late to include. The dealer then informed me that it was not available as a dealer-fit option. I read on another forum that it is avialable as a dealer-fit option. Can anyone in the UK (or EU) confirm. Meanwhile I'll ask some other dealers. I'm also slightly confused as to why this couldn't be added to my options less than two weeks after placing the order, any thoughts.

Look forward to participating more when the car arrives.

For interest

Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Advanced air-con

Does anyone have any pictures of Monaco Blue, it's a fairly new colour to UK and I chose it based on what I saw in the brochure.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by frank520' post='423225' date='May 11 2007, 11:50 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of Monaco Blue, it's a fairly new colour to UK and I chose it based on what I saw in the brochure.
This 750i is Monaco Blue. Monaco Blue 750i.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by frank520' post='423225' date='May 11 2007, 03:50 AM

I have ordered 520D SE in the UK. Delivery expected in early June. I called last week to try and add the 6FL/USB option but was told that it was too late to include. The dealer then informed me that it was not available as a dealer-fit option. I read on another forum that it is avialable as a dealer-fit option. Can anyone in the UK (or EU) confirm. Meanwhile I'll ask some other dealers. I'm also slightly confused as to why this couldn't be added to my options less than two weeks after placing the order, any thoughts.

Look forward to participating more when the car arrives.

For interest

Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Advanced air-con

Frank

If it is coming in early June it will be being built about 3 weeks ahead of that, your dealer can see the exact build week on the system. The order becomes non spec changeable about 6 days before production when a chassis number is assigned to the vehicle.

SPE
Old 05-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d SE, Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE, Land Rover Freelaner 2.5 V6

Originally Posted by frank520' post='423225' date='May 11 2007, 10:50 AM

Hi Frank

Sytner Leicester stock this retro fit USB and quoted me ?168 plus fitting (approx 1 hour) plus VAT, mulling this over but think I will get it fitted later this month

Bet your getting excited now eh! are you selling/part chopping your X-Type ?? Still got mine, picking it up from dealer monday after rust sorted

You will not be dissapointed
Old 05-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Members

Does anyone have pictures or information on the actual components of the 6FL option?

I'm trying to add it to a post 2007/03 car, from what I am reading I assume my car lacks other requirements, but knowing what the 6FL retrofit/dealer install option consists of would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 5slices' post='423619' date='May 12 2007, 06:22 AM
Hi Frank

Sytner Leicester stock this retro fit USB and quoted me ?168 plus fitting (approx 1 hour) plus VAT, mulling this over but think I will get it fitted later this month

Bet your getting excited now eh! are you selling/part chopping your X-Type ?? Still got mine, picking it up from dealer monday after rust sorted

You will not be dissapointed
Old 05-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by moonbeam' post='428909' date='May 27 2007, 06:55 PM
Does anyone have pictures or information on the actual components of the 6FL option?

I'm trying to add it to a post 2007/03 car, from what I am reading I assume my car lacks other requirements, but knowing what the 6FL retrofit/dealer install option consists of would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
Agreed, from what I've read you cannot retrofit the 6FL option. You can have the iPod adaptor installed in place of the 6 disc changer if you want. But this is iPod only, not the USB port which would allow other media to be used to play MP3 audio.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Members

Yeah and not only is it ipod only, its kind of a weak integration from what I understand, you cannot actually navigate through song names like with 6FL.

I cannot imagine the system has changed so much that it is impossible, I know the existing computer is clearly able to index data and decode mp3's, you can use mp3 cd in either cd drive, are they not offering a retrofit because they want to get all their existing ipod interfaces out of inventory first?!

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='428915' date='May 27 2007, 08:33 PM
Agreed, from what I've read you cannot retrofit the 6FL option. You can have the iPod adaptor installed in place of the 6 disc changer if you want. But this is iPod only, not the USB port which would allow other media to be used to play MP3 audio.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Members

Hi all,

Regarding the 6FL USB/IPOD option, and to the best of my knowledge the following appplies to all BMW, 1 series up!

The 6FL option needs to be specified at the time of ordering your car as this option requires additional element to the wiring loom at various points. The radio will automatically be upgraded to Professional (there will be a charge but you can't have 6FL without it!). When this is done, the ipod/USB stick is fully searchable through the Tag info for the songs. Ipods do require the Y-cable with USB and 3.5mm jack to fully utilise the itunes info of genre, playlists etc. I have seen this working in a 1 series coupe and its beautiful! As far as I know, this option also means that the CDChanger can also be utilised but not 100% about that.

As for dealer-fit options, for the time being this is a nightmare! Not all dealers are experienecd or expert at providing the right info, mainly I think due to lack of experience. Here are my experiences of ipod retrofit, and these are real. I know for I was that BMW owner!

I had a 120D SE 55-plate (Dec 2005) with Business radio. I got a dealer-fit ipod integration. The kit comprised glovebox ipod connector, auxiliary display module (yes an amber display module) fitted to the centre of the dashboard above the air vents, new multi-function steering wheel control button pads and the various boxes to be hidden behind the dash. the result was great! The ipod was fully browseable (genres, playlists etc) via the auxiliary display and the steering wheel pads. The downside is that if you have a CD changer in the boot they will have to disconnect it to allow the ipod to use that socket but then when you have an ipod why would you need a CDChanger

I have currently a 118iSE (Sep 2007). Yes this has all the latest efficient dybnamics etc so it would have been able to be ordered with 6FL from factory!
It has bluetooth and Professional radio but did not get built with 6FL. I got the dealer to retrofit ipod integration. For my money I got an ipod connector in the glovebox, no change to the MF buttons in the steering whell, no auxiliary display and a huge big silver box which sits in the cradle, under the carpet, in the floorspace of the boot, just above the bluetooth module. This kit also utilise the CDChanger socket of the radio, the track info can optionally be displayed in teh Professional display. However, the ipod is not fully browseable. the setup is that buttons 1-6 are used for Artists, Albums, Playlists, Genres, Podcasts, Whole ipod by songtitle (order may be wroong here). Additionally, there is a restriction of capacity in this retrofit which means that it can only handle something like 255 Album or Artist names depending on which sectoin you are in. In summary, this newer retrofit is not as good as the earlier one!

Having chatted at length with various BMW people it is clear that if you want the best browseability, factory fit 6FL is the best way forward. The quality of the retrofit depends on the equipment pre-specified in your vehicle AND NOTE the best spec kit prefitted does not necessarily mean you will get the best retrofit ipod kit!

As for the USB retrofit, no experience of it but it falls into the 255 restriction mentioned above. Also, it is ONLY USB device supporting and does not equate to the 6FL factory fit. the retrofit is, by BMW instruction, located in the glovebox, two feet or so away from the aux in. You would still need a retrofit ipod kit as well! If anyone out there has both these options fitted, it would be fun to see if their local dealer would let them borrow a y cable for the 6FL then connct the ipod via the USB and aux jack to see what happens! Don't know what the associated risk is. its the kind of thing I would do but I am mad!!!!

Hope all readers ou there find this a useful summary. Oh and by the way, one of the BMW Techs on the phone did say they were looking at testing software updates for the retrofit ipod kits to see if the useability could be improved