E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is a 645i just a 545i in a nice suit? I doubt it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

I was reading all the nice comments on this forum when I noticed that TexaZ3 owns both a 645i and a 545i, both equally beautiful. I recall that someone on the British automotive show 5th Gear (possibly Vicky) stated that a M6 was just a M5 in a nice suit. Sometimes I wonder if this is true. Being the owner of a 545i, when I pull up to a 645i at a stoplight I sometimes feel that I may be missing out on some aspect of the V8 BMW driving experience. On one occasion, feelings of inferiority nearly arose when a 335i owner, who is a female acquaintance, told me that a 5 was an old man's car. Compared to a 6 it may be, although I don't see many young studs in sixes. What do you folks think?
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

I dunno what to say to the "old man's car" comment, since I'm 20 and I asked for a 5 and was looking at cars in the same class as the 5. I wonder what kind of person she thinks the 7 series is for. When I see a 3 series I think of a young person, but also immaturity and just general n00bishness. So I guess I'm not safe from generalizing either, but it's generally the 3 series drivers that drive like pricks and give BMW owners that bad name, like "cocks" as Jeremy Clarkson would say.

Still, the 6 is in a different class; it competes with the MB CLS and other GTs, so it comes down to preference really. The 6 looks sporty and has the performance to back it up, but the 5 is pretty subtle, maybe even that "old man's car" look, but it's got the same numbers to surprise anyone that thinks less of it.

Challenge her to a race and when you win because you have a stick and she can't drive anyways, ask her how it feels to lose to an old man.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='1012070' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:58 PM
I dunno what to say to the "old man's car" comment, since I'm 20 and I asked for a 5 and was looking at cars in the same class as the 5. I wonder what kind of person she thinks the 7 series is for. When I see a 3 series I think of a young person, but also immaturity and just general n00bishness. So I guess I'm not safe from generalizing either, but it's generally the 3 series drivers that drive like pricks and give BMW owners that bad name, like "cocks" as Jeremy Clarkson would say.

Still, the 6 is in a different class; it competes with the MB CLS and other GTs, so it comes down to preference really. The 6 looks sporty and has the performance to back it up, but the 5 is pretty subtle, maybe even that "old man's car" look, but it's got the same numbers to surprise anyone that thinks less of it.

Challenge her to a race and when you win because you have a stick and she can't drive anyways, ask her how it feels to lose to an old man.

Like what he said ^^^^
I'm 20 and i love the look the design the performance of the car so much. that i would put M3 out of my mind and wait for F10 M5 to come out.

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

I think it's more of a matter of taste and personality than it is of age.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

6ers have a different personality. Yes, they have same engine, same basic chassis, and most electronics, but they also have much lower body (and center of gravity), aerodynamics, differently set up gearbox, their wheelbase is shorter. Moreover, you sit in the car much lower to the ground, and together with longer hood and lower beltline it creates absolutely different driving position, and as a result, perception of the way it drives. Don't know if this is better or worse, I guess depends on the person driving, but I can't really say that I prefer 6er to 5er (I drive both almost on a daily basis) or the other way around. Performance-wise (comparing 545i and 645Ci) they are very close, both very good, but if I were to pick one over the other I probably couldn't. Both great cars. Both have their quirks. 5er is more family, bright personality, 6er is more of a bad boy, dark side :-) That is why you need both!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The 5 and the 6 have far more similarities than differences. As others have said, it's the same powertrain and chassis with reasonably marginal performance advantages in the 6. The 6 is a little lighter. Other than the design, the primary differences are in utility and seating capacity, so buy whatever best meets your needs. The 6 is a very good GT, the 5 is a very good sedan.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

What I find amazing is, in all the performance mags I'e read, the more aerodymanic, lower riding, M6 usually get head head to head again the M5. There is a YouTube video of a 5 handing a 6 his arese 3 - 4 times in a row.

If it's like that in the M, the same could possibly be expected in 545 vs 645, and 550 vs 650. Not sure, but it stands to reason.

------------------------------------

On the other hand, I'm surprised that we have 20 year old 5 series drivers. Impressive. When I was 20, I had a pair of Nikes, a strong set of legs and fo rthe really long trips, bus fare or taxi money.

While I have seen this where I live (very affluent parents or hand me down 5's), most 20 year olds I know would be elated to have a lightly rusted 1997 Corolla they could call their own- let alone an E60 5 series.

That said- if this car appeals to guys in the 20 y/o age group, then clearly this is not an old man's car.

Call me what you want though, I think the 7 (followed by the 5) is the sexiest of all BMW's. Old man car, or not.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree-I finally got my first bmw which was a brand new 5er 2.5 years ago when I was 26, and for years I had always loved the e60. I was being pushed by the salesman to go for a 3 series-a 330 at the time before the 335 came out and after one drive in the 5er it was hands down no question. The 5 is still my fav class of bmw-the perfect car in my opinion. It is not too small like a 1 or a 3 but not too big like a 7, and has 4 door sporty sedan look-which I have always liked 4 door bimmers.

I could not afford a 6 at the time and probably would take one due to its exclusivity compared to the 5 but when comparing a 5 and 3, I do not know many people that would think of a 5 as an old mans car-atleast in my 3 years I have never had that reaction-more envy and love of my car than anything-esp where I live ever single block there are 10 3 series and very few 5ers (i am not in cali). Where I work all my attendings give me a hard time about having a nicer car than any of them-ok i live in the midwest-not an overabundance of luxury out here! I know that is different in many cities-but all that to say-esp when a 5 is done up, and modded sporty-It looks like an aggressive monster-esp compared to the 3 series. It has huge wide fenders, aggressive stance and look-I love it.

I bet your co worker is jelous-and after having numerous 3 series for loaners, including one recently for a week-it just feels cheap inside and not luxruious at all compared to a 5-esp if you have comfort seats.

I love the 5-probably would love the 6-the f10 m5 will be my next car in 3 years-that is the plan-I also like having 4 doors and the space it provides
Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='1012105' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:37 PM
6ers have a different personality. Yes, they have same engine, same basic chassis, and most electronics, but they also have much lower body (and center of gravity), aerodynamics, differently set up gearbox, their wheelbase is shorter. Moreover, you sit in the car much lower to the ground, and together with longer hood and lower beltline it creates absolutely different driving position, and as a result, perception of the way it drives. Don't know if this is better or worse, I guess depends on the person driving, but I can't really say that I prefer 6er to 5er (I drive both almost on a daily basis) or the other way around. Performance-wise (comparing 545i and 645Ci) they are very close, both very good, but if I were to pick one over the other I probably couldn't. Both great cars. Both have their quirks. 5er is more family, bright personality, 6er is more of a bad boy, dark side :-) That is why you need both!
I agree. The 6ers have quite a different personality. Spec wise they are very similar but besides the obvious difference in room and utility, the ride, handling, and other things are quite different. The 6er is definitely more narrow focused where the 5er is a great do-all-things car. That's why I traded a 650i back to the 550i.

FYI, based on my observations, I'd bet the average age of 6er owners is greater than 5 series owners. Younger folks that want a BMW coupe probably go for the 335i or M3 over the 650i.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='1012317' date='Sep 20 2009, 08:25 AM
FYI, based on my observations, I'd bet the average age of 6er owners is greater than 5 series owners. Younger folks that want a BMW coupe probably go for the 335i or M3 over the 650i.

I disagree, I think the average age of 5er owners is more, and 6ers have a younger crowd.

Quick Reply: Is a 645i just a 545i in a nice suit? I doubt it.