E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

645 and 545 - side by side

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend brought her brand new 645 cabrio over yesterday (triple black, sport, etc.) for me to give it the run through. Bought in Cali, shipped to Wisconsin- paid a premium and personal shipping, but saved 3 months. Awesome car, wins in side by side looks (slightly) but we both agreed the 5 is truly the driving machine.

Interestingly, many of the same issues mentioned here. Air conditioning unit working intermttently, passenger seat belt must remain buckled even when no one is in passenger seat, to silence the alarm, I-Drive screen goes blank, etc.

Her biggest dilemma? Whether or not to "deface" the toy by putting on the front licence plate. Both of us have been stopped already for our missing plates- i bit the bullet and put it on (doesn't look too bad) but she is gonna hold out. We're both African-American, and I don't need to increase my hassle ops. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe some really strong velcro can help you with the license plate?

It sucks if you have to drill holes in the bumper....
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Contributors

In Europe you have no choice but to use the front plate. I like the front plate myself.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I do not have any problems when my passenger seatbelt isn't buckled in. I don't think I have any issues with my wife not enabling the passenger airbag, either, and she's only 125-ish. My iDrive screen hasn't gone blank yet (800 miles and counting). The AC works like a champ.

Did you get any pics of the two cars side-by-side?

I love the new 6er.

Oh, and I'm surprised that if front plates are required, how come your dealer didn't install the front plate holder for you? The people at the ED Delivery Center had already drilled holes into my bumper for the ED plate, so I'm just running with it in front. Of course, in Georgia, we don't have to have front plates.

-MrB
Old 06-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My screen went blank for the first time this morning. Only after reading about the screen blanking out the night before. <_<
Old 06-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twinzor1' date='Jun 18 2004, 09:49 AM
.....Her biggest dilemma? Whether or not to "deface" the toy by putting on the front licence plate. Both of us have been stopped already for our missing plates- i bit the bullet and put it on (doesn't look too bad) but she is gonna hold out. We're both African-American, and I don't need to increase my hassle ops. We'll see.
tell her to put the plate on and drive it. it's the law, right? that sounds like you're asking for a ticket.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

On other BMW's I've clipped the plate from the bottom with a VERY rigid frame) so the only drill holes are on the unseen portion of the bumper... Has anyone found a similar way to do this on the E60? So if you have to have a plate keep it, but if you don't (e.g. not all states need a front plate) you can remove it without the holes present.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

I've opted to run wo a front plate and pay the fine if ever. So far, so good.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

In NC where I live, a front tag is not required. When I picked up my new E60, there was a tag plate on the front with dealer brand advertising. You can immagine my suprise when I went to remove the tag and bracket, only to find they used self tapping screws into the front of the bumper to secure it. Oh well, at least its the right color since it must remain...

Old 06-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributors

SkiScubaSailDude,
Where are you in NC? I am from Winston-Salem. I am assuming from the coastal region by your user name.

Quick Reply: 645 and 545 - side by side