E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Fellow e60ers

Has anybody with the M54B25 or 30 engines ever had to change their water pumps at 60 k due to a failure or change the tranny fluid at 60 k due to a sluggish tranny. I'm specifically looking for a failure at those miles. I know Bavarian Auto Sports suggest that change at those miles, but I yet to find anybody with that particular engine have a failure. Is it necessary or not????
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributors

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought we don't have to change our fluid for our cars. Our tranny fluid that is. Anybody know?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Members

Regarding your tranny question....

My 04 530i has 72000 miles on it. I asked the same question about changing the tranny fluid of my independent BMW shop. The owner said if you've not done a change ever, don't do it. Changing the tranny fluid does improve shifting, but they've seen those same trannys go out a while later. They said they don't know why it happens, just that it does. That's coming from someone who could have made $150.00 changing the fluid, so I believe him over bavauto.

Water pumps, I don't know.

Mike
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Mr 5er' post='673618' date='Sep 19 2008, 07:34 PM
Fellow e60ers

Has anybody with the M54B25 or 30 engines ever had to change their water pumps at 60 k due to a failure or change the tranny fluid at 60 k due to a sluggish tranny. I'm specifically looking for a failure at those miles. I know Bavarian Auto Sports suggest that change at those miles, but I yet to find anybody with that particular engine have a failure. Is it necessary or not????
I drive a 04 530i and I changed my tranny fluid at 60k and its still running fine. I'm at almost 120k and I'd recommend a change, just make sure your mechanic gets the original ZF 6 speed tranny fluid. I personally do not believe in lifetime oils and 15k oilchanges.... :thumbsdown:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Contributors

hmmm i was told by a service guy that BMW tranny fluid don't need service. But the weird thing was that my tranny leaked, and i have them replaced it so it has new fluid now. But i don't recall seeing a drain plug for the tranny fluid. YOu have to disassemble the entire pan to remove it, and drain it how do you refill the fluid? Anybody?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No fluid is lifetime. Don't buy into that hype.

On the water pump issue I won't think it would need replacing at 60K. Most waterpumps have no problem going 100K+.

On the the subject of tranny fluid being changed and then failure of the tranny shortly afterwards (I've heard the stories through the years also on pretty much all makes). My theory is those tranny's getting a tranny flush to help roughness or whatever the problem is with shifting would've of failed either way down the road, weather the fluid was changed or not.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='674205' date='Sep 20 2008, 09:31 PM
No fluid is lifetime. Don't buy into that hype.

On the water pump issue I won't think it would need replacing at 60K. Most waterpumps have no problem going 100K+.

On the the subject of tranny fluid being changed and then failure of the tranny shortly afterwards (I've heard the stories through the years also on pretty much all makes). My theory is those tranny's getting a tranny flush to help roughness or whatever the problem is with shifting would've of failed either way down the road, weather the fluid was changed or not.
Hope you're right.....At $4k for replacing the tranny it scared me.

Mike
Old 09-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I wouldn't stress over the water pump - it's pretty obvious when they go bad - you'll get coolant in the footwells (interior). They aren't hard to replace, I did it myself on my first car, although I'm sure it wouldn't be something to do yourself on a car as nice as the E60.

They basically need to drain the coolant from the system, remove any accessories and mounting brackets on the front of the engine (alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, etc...). Then remove the radiator hoses from the water pump, then unbolt and remove the water pump from the block and scrape off any remaining old gasket that remains stuck to the block. Fit the new gasket, fit the new replacement water pump, and tighten the bolts. Re-attach the accessory mounts and accessories, adjust the drive belt(s) and refill with coolant.

Pretty basic.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Thanks guys....I appreciate all the replys. We get input from all the magazines and hell, I don't know what to believe anymore. I up at 49900, 100 miles til the end of warranty and plan to go for the F10 in 2010/11. I don't want to sink unecessary bucks into the car if I'm going to get another.

Again thanks for all the answers/

Frankie L.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I do recall reading articles in Roundel magazine a couple years ago about water pump problems on six cylinder engines. The water pumps had plastic impellers and other plastic parts which caused premature failure. You might want to find out if your engine has one of those water pumps. The recommendation was to replace the water pump at 60,000 miles as a preventive measure.

Quick Reply: 60k Miles