E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6 speed manual to SMG owners…

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004 | 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by RoBD305' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry but there is no substitute for a true manual transmission car.? SMG is great and by all means I wouldnt mind driving it at all but if you can drive a stick well, there is nothing like the connection you get shifting using the traditional stick shift method.? Engaging clutch when you want to, rev matching your own gear changes and having absolutely full control over your engine and car.?
I see SMG as a true manual car but for people who either do not like to deal with some of the nuiances of stick shift driving (traffic) or those who can not drive smoothly enough to perfectly match revs.? IMHO, SMG is a step towards less driver involvement.? The mechanics of SMG transmission is mechanically a manual but the computer takes away from some driver involvement.
[snapback]55847[/snapback]
Sorry but I can't resist posting a link to this message from a while ago...

No offense RoBD305 but I think you'll find that in time, you'll look back on your current position and realize that you don't lose any more driver involvement with an SMG, it's simply progress through technology. (Cars had cranks at one time instead of starters, did drivers become less involved when they began turning a key?)
Old 11-14-2004 | 11:57 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 14 2004, 02:07 PM
(Cars had cranks at one time instead of starters, did drivers become less involved when they began turning a key?)
[snapback]56097[/snapback]
Well, there have been less broken arms. Go figure.
Old 11-14-2004 | 12:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 14 2004, 09:07 PM
[quote name='RoBD305' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:20 PM']I'm sorry but there is no substitute for a true manual transmission car.? SMG is great and by all means I wouldnt mind driving it at all but if you can drive a stick well, there is nothing like the connection you get shifting using the traditional stick shift method.? Engaging clutch when you want to, rev matching your own gear changes and having absolutely full control over your engine and car.?
I see SMG as a true manual car but for people who either do not like to deal with some of the nuiances of stick shift driving (traffic) or those who can not drive smoothly enough to perfectly match revs.? IMHO, SMG is a step towards less driver involvement.? The mechanics of SMG transmission is mechanically a manual but the computer takes away from some driver involvement.

No offense RoBD305 but I think you'll find that in time, you'll look back on your current position and realize that you don't lose any more driver involvement with an SMG, it's simply progress through technology. (Cars had cranks at one time instead of starters, did drivers become less involved when they began turning a key?)
[/quote]

In time, I would agree that manual gearboxes and slushmatic boxes will be gone. But until everyone else at least matches what Audi have done with the DSG, it will NOT be THE choice.

The DSG is the best. But in a year or 2 others will catch up. Then we'll see the demise of anything else.

I'm keen to know how the new M5 7 speed SMG works. Maybe BMW have done a good job of that.
Old 11-14-2004 | 02:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 14 2004, 02:07 PM
[quote name='RoBD305' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:20 PM']I'm sorry but there is no substitute for a true manual transmission car.? SMG is great and by all means I wouldnt mind driving it at all but if you can drive a stick well, there is nothing like the connection you get shifting using the traditional stick shift method.? Engaging clutch when you want to, rev matching your own gear changes and having absolutely full control over your engine and car.?

[/quote]

I tend to still disagree. There is definately less driver involvement required driving an SMG style transmission. You do not need to monitor revs to teh degree you need to with a manual transmission. Throttle blips are all calculated by teh SMG's computer adn though it is always perfect, blipping the throttle yourself jsut adds another domentsion to driving. I can honestly say that I enjoy matching my revs through gear changes. It gives me that "control" over the car. The SMG does all that for you. All you need to concentrate on SMG is when to upshift and downshift. The other factors of driving a MT are done by the computer.
On the other hand, I do love some features of SMG especially the idea of having 7 gears. That is something a stick shift can not offer.
Old 11-14-2004 | 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by Steve P.' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:46 AM
1. If you could do the purchase of the 545 over again would you still get the SMG ?
2. How would you rate the SMG overall.
3. Are there delays is shifting similar to the step auto trans? The delay that I am referring to is response time between selecting an up or down shift and the trans actually doing something. I am not referring to the time required to shift between gears.

Thanks for your input?
[snapback]55699[/snapback]
I haven't owned a 540i 6-speed, but I have driven all variants in multiple sessions.

1. YES !!!!!!!
2. On a scale 1 to 10, 10 being higest 9 on SMG and 7 on 6-speed. The difference in variation has to do with consistancy and accuracy.
3. There is a delay, similar to you shifting a 6-speed manual, but much faster and harder shift, especially in "sport" mode.
Old 11-14-2004 | 08:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by RoBD305' date='Nov 14 2004, 04:30 PM
I tend to still disagree.? There is definately less driver involvement required driving an SMG style transmission.? You do not need to monitor revs to teh degree you need to with a manual transmission.? Throttle blips are all calculated by teh SMG's computer adn though it is always perfect, blipping the throttle yourself jsut adds another domentsion to driving.? I can honestly say that I enjoy matching my revs through gear changes.? It gives me that "control" over the car.? The SMG does all that for you.? All you need to concentrate on SMG is when to upshift and downshift.? The other factors of driving a MT are done by the computer.
On the other hand, I do love some features of SMG especially the idea of having 7 gears.? That is something a stick shift can not offer.
[snapback]56175[/snapback]
Have you spent many hours in an SMG Rob? I myself have never driven one. There just aren't any at my dealership and the salesmen and managers are far from purists. They think SMG is an automatic that jerks too much. So I drive a standard transmission, which I love as I have for the last 27 years behind the wheel. BUT the posts on this board from SMG owners are starting to make me wonder if I should get another 6spd in 3 years or go for an SMG.
One poster on Bimmerfest was raving about SMG on his ED. I know he also has an E39 M5 in his stable. These are clutch people who, from what I gather feather the throttle when shifting to get perfectly smooth shifts even with SMG. So there is some involvelment. Your actual experience in an SMG is very important to your point of view. Its like complaining that I-drive is too complicated after one hour in the car.
Old 11-14-2004 | 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Nov 14 2004, 11:05 PM
Have you spent many hours in an SMG Rob?? ..... Your actual experience in an SMG is very important to your point of view.?? Its like complaining that I-drive is too complicated after one hour in the car.
Exactly what I was thinking.....

Just a few things here:
1) I don't think its fair to critisize SMG being disconnected from the whole driving experince. Until you have given its fair shake.
Case in point, would it be fair for a my wife to dismiss the manual tranny as being "antiquated and overly un-neccessay complex" after 30mins behind the wheel??Absolutely not!! I DO like Hormazd example of i-drive, I think all of us can relate to that and understand the complaint by the old guard "purist" to be non-sense.

2) Unless you've your CDV drilled out on your 6 speed tranny, I don't want to hear about this non-sense of "connectiing shifter to the tranny". In fact I would go as far as saying that you are missing out on a big part of the whole driving experince because you are NOT connected everytime the gear is shifted. For the record SMG, SSG and all manual M cars don't have the CDV.

Please don't take this the wrong way.... We are all entitle to our opinion and individuality is the hallmark of this country. I respect your opinion and more so after you've had the opportunity to spend extended time behind the wheels of a SMG (or SSG). That's all

I am fortunate to have both a I-6 and SMG. I do track the car several times a year and I would NEVER buy a I-6 given a choice over SMG. Its not even close (IMHO)

peace, out

beewang
Old 11-14-2004 | 09:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Nov 14 2004, 11:52 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Nov 14 2004, 11:05 PM']Have you spent many hours in an SMG Rob?? ..... Your actual experience in an SMG is very important to your point of view.?? Its like complaining that I-drive is too complicated after one hour in the car.
Exactly what I was thinking.....

Just a few things here:
1) I don't think its fair to critisize SMG being disconnected from the whole driving experince. Until you have given its fair shake.
Case in point, would it be fair for a my wife to dismiss the manual tranny as being "antiquated and overly un-neccessay complex" after 30mins behind the wheel??Absolutely not!! I DO like Hormazd example of i-drive, I think all of us can relate to that and understand the complaint by the old guard "purist" to be non-sense.

2) Unless you've your CDV drilled out on your 6 speed tranny, I don't want to hear about this non-sense of "connectiing shifter to the tranny". In fact I would go as far as saying that you are missing out on a big part of the whole driving experince because you are NOT connected everytime the gear is shifted. For the record SMG, SSG and all manual M cars don't have the CDV.

Please don't take this the wrong way.... We are all entitle to our opinion and individuality is the hallmark of this country. I respect your opinion and more so after you've had the opportunity to spend extended time behind the wheels of a SMG (or SSG). That's all

I am fortunate to have both a I-6 and SMG. I do track the car several times a year and I would NEVER buy a I-6 given a choice over SMG. Its not even close (IMHO)

peace, out

beewang
[snapback]56295[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes in fact I have driven SMG for many hours. My brother drives an E46 M3 SMG and we have traded cars a few times. I have driven the M3 SMG which is superior by all means than the SMG in the 5. Shifts are incredibly fast, faster than I can even shift. But again I go back into case that it is not as connected as a true manual. I have taken the M3 to teh track on a few track days as well and can agree with you that on a track, it is better suited since you can focus more on the fundamentals, ie turn-in points. beacuse you do not need to worry about rev-matching your downshift entering a corner and such.
In no way am I saying SMG is bad or less superior, it is just not as connected as a true manual.
For the record, my CDV was removed the first week owning the car. No idea how you can drive properly with that thing in.
Old 11-14-2004 | 09:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Nov 14 2004, 11:05 PM
[quote name='RoBD305' date='Nov 14 2004, 04:30 PM']I tend to still disagree.? There is definately less driver involvement required driving an SMG style transmission.? You do not need to monitor revs to teh degree you need to with a manual transmission.? Throttle blips are all calculated by teh SMG's computer adn though it is always perfect, blipping the throttle yourself jsut adds another domentsion to driving.? I can honestly say that I enjoy matching my revs through gear changes.? It gives me that "control" over the car.? The SMG does all that for you.? All you need to concentrate on SMG is when to upshift and downshift.? The other factors of driving a MT are done by the computer.
On the other hand, I do love some features of SMG especially the idea of having 7 gears.? That is something a stick shift can not offer.
[snapback]56175[/snapback]
Have you spent many hours in an SMG Rob? I myself have never driven one. There just aren't any at my dealership and the salesmen and managers are far from purists. They think SMG is an automatic that jerks too much. So I drive a standard transmission, which I love as I have for the last 27 years behind the wheel. BUT the posts on this board from SMG owners are starting to make me wonder if I should get another 6spd in 3 years or go for an SMG.
One poster on Bimmerfest was raving about SMG on his ED. I know he also has an E39 M5 in his stable. These are clutch people who, from what I gather feather the throttle when shifting to get perfectly smooth shifts even with SMG. So there is some involvelment. Your actual experience in an SMG is very important to your point of view. Its like complaining that I-drive is too complicated after one hour in the car.
[snapback]56282[/snapback]
[/quote]

The dealer is giving you wrong information. SMG is by no means an auto that jerks too much. With SMG there is a learning curve associated and it takes time to drive the car smoothly. It took me a good day to get it down when I drove the M3.
Old 11-14-2004 | 09:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by RoBD305' date='Nov 15 2004, 12:16 AM
Yes in fact I have driven SMG for many hours.? My brother drives an E46 M3 SMG and we have traded cars a few times.? I have driven the M3 SMG which is superior by all means than the SMG in the 5.? Shifts are incredibly fast, faster than I can even shift.? But again I go back into case that it is not as connected as a true manual.? I have taken the M3 to teh track on a few track days as well and can agree with you that on a track, it is better suited since you can focus more on the fundamentals, ie turn-in points. beacuse you do not need to worry about rev-matching your downshift entering a corner and such.
In no way am I saying SMG is bad or less superior, it is just not as connected as a true manual.
For the record, my CDV was removed the first week owning the car.? No idea how you can drive properly with that thing in.
Right on!!
I guess we agree to disagree on the SMG issue.

cheers,

beewang

Quick Reply: 6 speed manual to SMG owners…