E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6 speed manual to SMG owners…

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004 | 06:46 AM
Members

I plan in ordering a 545i sport with either the 6sp manual or SMG very soon. I have driven the 545i sport with the 6 sp manual (which I liked very much) but cannot locate a 545 SMG to test drive. I am concerned about ordering an expensive car that I have not test driven. I have driven a M3 with the SMG but these cars are very different and I am not convinced that this is a fair comparison. I have read many posts on the SMG but questions remain.

For owners of the 545 with SMG that previously owned a 540 or M5 with the 6 sp manual?

1. If you could do the purchase of the 545 over again would you still get the SMG ?
2. How would you rate the SMG overall.
3. Are there delays is shifting similar to the step auto trans? The delay that I am referring to is response time between selecting an up or down shift and the trans actually doing something. I am not referring to the time required to shift between gears.

Thanks for your input?
Old 11-13-2004 | 06:56 AM
Members

Wish I could answer, but I'm also curious to know.
Old 11-13-2004 | 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

1) Without a doubt.
2) The greatest driving experience I've had in a car.
3) Never driven a step so I can't answer.
Old 11-13-2004 | 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 13 2004, 05:24 PM
1) Without a doubt.
2) The greatest driving experience I've had in a car.
[snapback]55706[/snapback]
I agree. Didn't care for Step to much.
Old 11-13-2004 | 08:31 AM
JDN
Contributors

There are some features of the stick that are superior to the SMG, but there may be more features of SMG that are superior to the stick. For smoothness, an experienced stick shifter will do better with a stick than SMG. For safety and convenience, you can't beat the SMG.
Old 11-13-2004 | 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 smg sport, black sapphire, beige dakotah interior, poplar trim, cold weather pkg, comfort ventilated seats, logic 7 premium sound, nav, hud, sunshades, fold-down rear seats, satellite radio

Get the smg. I purchased mine without test driving and had my doubts, but after driving it for two weeks, there is no other transmission I would ever order. The automatic mode is not as smooth as the step, but it is adequate and if you want a sport feel to the car, the smg can not be beat.
Old 11-13-2004 | 03:06 PM
Contributors

1. Definitely would go with the SMG

2. Excellent. The shifting is lightning fast (you can shift from 6th to 3rd as fast as you can tap the paddles). You can't accidently over rev the engine and the automatic mode is fine if your stuck in heavy traffic.

3. There is no response lag that you may experience with steptronic mode in auto transmissions

My last car was an e36 M3 with a manual. I would not go back to a manual unless the car I was considering in the future did not have an SMG option.
Old 11-13-2004 | 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Steve P.' date='Nov 13 2004, 08:46 AM
I plan in ordering a 545i sport with either the 6sp manual or SMG very soon. I have driven the 545i sport with the 6 sp manual (which I liked very much) but cannot locate a 545 SMG to test drive. I am concerned about ordering an expensive car that I have not test driven. I have driven a M3 with the SMG but these cars are very different and I am not convinced that this is a fair comparison. I have read many posts on the SMG but questions remain.

For owners of the 545 with SMG that previously owned a 540 or M5 with the 6 sp manual?

1. If you could do the purchase of the 545 over again would you still get the SMG ?
2. How would you rate the SMG overall.
3. Are there delays is shifting similar to the step auto trans? The delay that I am referring to is response time between selecting an up or down shift and the trans actually doing something. I am not referring to the time required to shift between gears.

Thanks for your input?
[snapback]55699[/snapback]

No regrets whatsoever. As many have noted, it gets better as the miles click by. I haven't driven it hard since I'm still in break-in, but with 700 miles on the clock I did get on it a little this morning and did some power shifts (sport mode without letting up on the gas) and it gets! I thought I would miss "rowing" gears, and the familiar "H" pattern shifting, but through the corners the aility to paddle-downshift is a major plus (and what a blast!). I've seen quite a few SMGs on eBay recently, but I suspect those are people that ordered it thinking it would be like driving an auto. This is in every regard a MANUAL trans with an electro-servo actuated clutch in place of your left foot. It rolls at stop lights like a manual, shifts like a manual, saves gas like a manual, kicks arse like a manual. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2004 | 05:20 PM
Members

I'm sorry but there is no substitute for a true manual transmission car. SMG is great and by all means I wouldnt mind driving it at all but if you can drive a stick well, there is nothing like the connection you get shifting using the traditional stick shift method. Engaging clutch when you want to, rev matching your own gear changes and having absolutely full control over your engine and car.
I see SMG as a true manual car but for people who either do not like to deal with some of the nuiances of stick shift driving (traffic) or those who can not drive smoothly enough to perfectly match revs. IMHO, SMG is a step towards less driver involvement. The mechanics of SMG transmission is mechanically a manual but the computer takes away from some driver involvement.
Old 11-13-2004 | 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Nov 13 2004, 05:12 PM
saves gas like a manual,
[snapback]55829[/snapback]
Haha Nope everything except that... Burns the most gas.

Quick Reply: 6 speed manual to SMG owners…