E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i vrs 545i vrs 535i

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

All i have been lurking for a while but now that my Z4 is sold (it was time to grow up...... to a 5 ) it is time to seriously look at cars. I have been a German Auto Enthusiast since my first VW (1974 Super Beetle!), 2004 VW R32 and most recently my 04 Z4 Gray/Red Dream interior! But now I am currently in Iraq and my wife just sold the Z so I am car-less. I have driven 3's before but never a 5 so i need some advice!

I think i have narrowed my search down to the 550i/545i/535i. I will start with the easy questions and see where it goes.

Do all these cars handle similarly (fully spec'd out), you know butt-in-seat feeling not spec's on the sticker? My Z4 was a 2.5 220 hp car (i thought it would be a dog) it wasn't very fast but it was extremely fun to drive so i didn't mind.

I am leaning towards the 08 550i Sport mainly because i like the body kit but i know i could always get and older 550/545 and add the M bumper and be happy. I am not sure about the 535i but it interests me because you can boost it (i had a 01 VW Golf 1.8T)! I guess i am looking for people who have driven both or all three!

I am looking to stay under or right at 30k (of course the longer i wait the more cash I will have) so that puts most 08 550's out of my league right now. Must haves --> Sport,Cold Weather,Navi,6 Speed, cool interior (ie not black/grey) everything else is a plus.

Am I on the right track? Is the 550i noticeably more powerful than the 545i/535i?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i think the 550 is the fastest, but not by much. i'd vote to get the 550, nothing like the sounds of the v8, and get the refresh design(lci) in 08 and later, if budget allows.

one advantage to 535 is you can get the xdrive, but you also have to be aware of the fuel pump issues.
and 545 is a good car, its just going to be older.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Welcome to the 5 series forums!

The 545i is definitely below your budget since they stopped production in 2005. The 550i is a great bet and the 535i will most likely be a tad more expensive since they came out in 2008 are more are likely to be newer. I would focus more on the 550i and 535i. Test drive both and see which you like better (the 535i has a lot of power potential but HPFP problems plague it).

The 550i LCI (2008+) does have the M-Tech kit stock but you can always upgrade for a reasonable price with the aftermarket replica kits sold on these forums. If you want stock I would stick with a 550i, but if you want modding potential, a CPO 535i would do the trick. It's also extremely difficult to find a used 6-speed, especially with your options and colors. I would jump on the first one you find with your spec requirements (whether it would be a 550i or 535i). I desperately wanted auburn-esque interior but that is rare by itself. Couple that with a 6-speed, and I'm sure only a ridiculously small amount exists in the US.

Good luck on your search! These cars are like tanks but drive like them too. It's the total opposite end of a roadster but still enjoyable (I had a roadster previously also). If you want something in between your z4 and a 5 series, try the E92 335i. They have some sick color combos and and are pretty easy to find ones with 6-speed.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

I absolutely LOVE my 550i. This is hands-down the fastest car I have ever owned, and it's comfortable too. I steered clear of the 535's because I keep my cars for 10+ years and those turbos just won't last that long, plus the 535's have issues that my larger N.A. v8 does not have.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The LCI 550i Sport is the winner (at least in my book).

Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Yeah i might have to give in on the interior, but we'll see. I have found like 3 Black/Brown/6MT 545i's but they all have 100k plus (which doesn't bother me too much i had a 91 318is that had 280k). The High mileage on an NA/MT car is fine as long as the interior is not trashed and the price is right! Plus i could get it for like 14k$ and still have 16k for other toys (bikes and such or do the responsible thing and pay down one of my houses).

Question #2 Is the 5 Series really that much bigger that the 3 Series? I know "Go test drive one", little problem, I am in Iraq! I still have about a month or so and it is taking all my strength to not just buy one off the internet and have it sitting at my door when I get home (luckily my wife would not have that). So I am stuck drooling and researching.

I have found a awesome deal on a 06 550i SMG with 30k full M kit but the SMG still intimidates me. I have always had manual German cars and the only one i ever had problems with was the 1.8T it had like 135k and constantly had air leaks that killed the boost but i eventually got that figured out (replaced every hose i could find!) I am scared the SMG will plague me like that too and i want to keep this car for 8-10 years. My wife knows how to drive a stick so i don't need the fake auto mode.

Whatever car i get it will have to hold 2 kids so i was figuring the 5 would be better. As for the 3 series i don't like the newest body style (looks like a cross between a honda/hyundai) the only one i like is the M3 and the best used price i could find on that has been high 30's low 40's but if i wait 6 months maybe i could find one in the low 30's.

So i have kinda ruled out any of the 35i's so i guess i am down to 545i/550i/M3 (i tried the M5 route but the wife said NO V10 and of course the price)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Contributors

Pics are always a good thing so here are some pics of my old rides...
Attached Thumbnails 550i vrs 545i vrs 535i-img_2231.jpg   550i vrs 545i vrs 535i-dsc03594.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I'd definately go for the 550 (LCI if you can). If you decide to get a 545i, carefully check the build dates. Play it safe and go for an '05 545i with navigation if you can find one. Keep in mind, however, that the factory warranty may have expired, and aftermarket options may be limited. It's not a cheap car to repair, unfortunately, but with a bit of tech skill, it may be worthwhile. While I love my '04, there have been a myriad of 1st year launch annoyances that can definately lessen the experience. One big one, especially in states that require the use of hands-free cellular devices, is the availability of Bluetooth. Early build 545i BMWs came with a telematics control unit that was incapable of performing correctly with Bluetooth enabled. So these units had the Bluetooth function disabled within the hardware. The build dates of these TCU units are prior to March 04. The only fix is a TCU replacement, which can run hundreds of dollars at the dealership. Along with the transmission slam issues, possible seat mat sensor issues, and the like, I cannot recommend an 04 build this late in its life bracket. Then again, with depreciation being the bastard it is, the low-cost may more than offset any potential issues that arise.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Get the 550 with sport package and mtech body kit. You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Having to work on the car doesn't really bother me see bellow!. And I rarely went to the dealer even when i had a warranty on the Z (i didn't trust them, I used a local shop). The only thing i had the dealer fix was a tail light issue. What really scares me is electrical stuff I do have a MS in Computer Science but sometimes I wish it was in Electrical Engineering!

So with SMG there are only like 3 parts that fail right? (Pump,motor,relay) and the clutch obviously but that would be same in 6MT. Are there any other known issues? The whole SMG thing really intrigues me but knowing BMW doesn't offer it anymore makes me think twice.... Did BMW stop making it because of reliability issues or because people couldn't get the hang of it?

I will miss the engine bay in the Z4 (you could reach down and touch the tranny) there was sooooo much room!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 550i vrs 545i vrs 535i-dsc03925.jpg  

Quick Reply: 550i vrs 545i vrs 535i