E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Step transmission weird behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

Picked up my car yesterday after having cip 20 installed. Problem seems to be much better. Tried the 60 - 0 thing on the way to work this morning and the shifting seems much smoother. Also the rough running after cold start seems to be gone.

I think it is to early to call the problem cured since it has only been one day but it seems like a much smoother car at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted.

Service advisor mentioned that they have had 2 other 550's in with the same problem. In both cases cip 20 seems to improve the situation. Not cured exactly but greatly improved. He did not rule out the need for further patches to completely eliminate the problem.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silverstone/Black M5 with Comfort Access, Manual Side Sunshades, Electric Rear Sunshade, M Multi-Function Active Seat, Head-Up Display.

Originally Posted by sjc550' post='223799' date='Jan 13 2006, 12:55 PM
Picked up my car yesterday after having cip 20 installed. Problem seems to be much better. Tried the 60 - 0 thing on the way to work this morning and the shifting seems much smoother. Also the rough running after cold start seems to be gone.

I think it is to early to call the problem cured since it has only been one day but it seems like a much smoother car at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted.

Service advisor mentioned that they have had 2 other 550's in with the same problem. In both cases cip 20 seems to improve the situation. Not cured exactly but greatly improved. He did not rule out the need for further patches to completely eliminate the problem.
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what CIP version my car is running?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='223800

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what CIP version my car is running?
[/quote]

I think only your dealer can tell you. I doubt you have cip 20. It is my understanding that is has only been available for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silverstone/Black M5 with Comfort Access, Manual Side Sunshades, Electric Rear Sunshade, M Multi-Function Active Seat, Head-Up Display.

Originally Posted by sjc550' post='223801
Originally Posted by sjc550' post='223799' date='Jan 13 2006, 12:55 PM

I think only your dealer can tell you. I doubt you have cip 20. It is my understanding that is has only been available for a couple of weeks.
[/quote]

You are absolutely right ... my dealer lied to me ... I just checked my software and I have CIP 19.00 [E060-05-09-510]. When I asked him why I still had CIP 19.00 he started dancing around the question and would not give me a straight answer. I have owned this car since Nov 6th and the dealer has had it in his shop for a total of 5 weeks. He basically did sweet F*#% all as far as I can tell. I made an appointment with another dealer who will load CIP 20.00 for me next wednesday. I will post an update after that is done.

Osama
Old 01-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='223958
Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='223800' date='Jan 13 2006, 11:57 AM
[quote name='sjc550' post='223799' date='Jan 13 2006, 12:55 PM']

[/quote]

You are absolutely right ... my dealer lied to me ... I just checked my software and I have CIP 19.00 [E060-05-09-510]. When I asked him why I still had CIP 19.00 he started dancing around the question and would not give me a straight answer. I have owned this car since Nov 6th and the dealer has had it in his shop for a total of 5 weeks. He basically did sweet F*#% all as far as I can tell. I made an appointment with another dealer who will load CIP 20.00 for me next wednesday. I will post an update after that is done.

Just for the record ... the dealer who screwed me is Budds BMW of Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Please beware of this dealer.

Osama
[/quote]
Good luck Osama. I am sorry you are having so much trouble.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='223739
Osama,
I tested your declaration today. It does not occur in my car. I tried it over 5 times and below are the details:

1. Put the tranny in DS mode.
2. Accelerate to 60 mph driving for 5+ minutes.
3. Release the gas pedal and coasted to a stop (no brake applied).

At around 35-40 mph, the rpm was just above 1500. At 20 mph, the rpm was a tad above 1000 rpm. Below 20 mph, the rpm was below 1000.

The car DID NOT up shift or a second or so (as you described) and then downshift. As a matter of fact, the tranny downshifted accordingly as the speedometer decrease, never going above 2000 rpm (from 40 mph) and never under or to 1000 rpm until the speed was 15 mph or lower. I would say that right at around 20 mph, the rpm is at 1000 rpm never experienced at sudden upshift. Only a progressive downshift as the car slows down (with a little engine braking).

Again, my bimmer is a 3/05 build and never had a CIP update (that I know of). The engine is not rough in the morning either. It was 54 F this morning.

I hope this helps. Perhaps you may need to bring your car to another dealer (if possible). Possible that the technician may not be well versed in updating/reloading the CIP.
Thank you very much for doing it ... This confirms to me that this problem is specific to the 550i. I have also confirmed that this is a problem with not just my car but another new car (less than 500km) that the dealer has. It would be really nice to get one more data point from a 550i owner. Any 550i owner out there willing to do what bimmer32 did?

Many thanks in advance for any 550i owner willing to help
[/quote]
My 550i was purchased in early December 2005 and is a MY2006 built on 30 September 2005. I have just over 900 miles on the odometer since purchased. It had 28 miles on the ODO at delivery.

Tonight I tried your test:

Drove in DS at about 60 MPH for approximately 5 minutes. Then took my foot off accelerator and allowed the car to coast to a stop. I was not always on perfectly level ground. I tried this three times and on at least one attempt, I think I did see a very momentary gear shift UP at around 1,100 RPM (Tach needle dropped instead of rising for downshift).

I also have noticed a minor roughness at idle after start from cold. It is especially noticeable when the engine is doing its start-up fast idle. Once it drops to normal idle it is smooth.

Another transmission isssue for me is a thud/jolt downshift when nearing a stop. I thought it was only on up-hill stops, but I have now felt it on fairly flat stopping instances as well. I assume I do not have CIP 20, as my car was delivered before this came out to dealers.

When I have a bit more experience with the car, I will prepare a detailed list of issues and call my dealer. Nothing so far appears to be dangerous or grossly injurious to the car, so I would rather wait until Ihave a little more seat time to sort through what I am feeling, hearing and seeing.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='224022' date='Jan 13 2006, 11:37 PM
My 550i was purchased in early December 2005 and is a MY2006 built on 30 September 2005. I have just over 900 miles on the odometer since purchased. It had 28 miles on the ODO at delivery.

Tonight I tried your test:

Drove in DS at about 60 MPH for approximately 5 minutes. Then took my foot off accelerator and allowed the car to coast to a stop. I was not always on perfectly level ground. I tried this three times and on at least one attempt, I think I did see a very momentary gear shift UP at around 1,100 RPM (Tach needle dropped instead of rising for downshift).

I also have noticed a minor roughness at idle after start from cold. It is especially noticeable when the engine is doing its start-up fast idle. Once it drops to normal idle it is smooth.

Another transmission isssue for me is a thud/jolt downshift when nearing a stop. I thought it was only on up-hill stops, but I have now felt it on fairly flat stopping instances as well. I assume I do not have CIP 20, as my car was delivered before this came out to dealers.

When I have a bit more experience with the car, I will prepare a detailed list of issues and call my dealer. Nothing so far appears to be dangerous or grossly injurious to the car, so I would rather wait until Ihave a little more seat time to sort through what I am feeling, hearing and seeing.
E60VTA,

Thanks for your help ... I think you confirmed to me that this upshift behaviour is fleet wide. Also that thud/jolt you are experiencing when nearing a stop is caused by the UPSHIFT (and not downshift) that I am talking about. This is how the problem manifests itself when the brakes are used to stop. However, it harder to reproduce all the time.

Osama
Old 01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

I stopped by my dealer today to discuss with service three issues with my 2006 550i with just over 1,000 miles. The three issues are:

1. When starting engine cold, idle is a bit rough until the idle switches from fast idle to slow idle - about 20 - 30 seconds.
2. When coming to a stop from a relatively slow speed, or gradually slowing to a stop, the transmission makes a hard downshift at just about 1,000 RPM. It is not a loud clunk or thud, but a definite feel of a jolt or jerk.
3. Under conditions that I have yet to clearly identify, on acceleration from a dead stop, occassionally the accelerator seems to surge teh car forward much more quickly than one has expected or planned.

After explaining these items to a Service Advisor, I took two different people for a ride to show them Item #2. The others seem to occur only when the engine is cold. The second person is the Shop Supervisor. I was able to demonstrate the transmission issue for both of them and they definitely felt it several times each. I have an appointment on Monday to take my car in for them to attempt to fix all three issues or at least Items #1 & #2. I hope to be able to clarify Item #3 over the weekend. They expect to have the car for two days, so they can deal with the cold start issues.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='226181' date='Jan 18 2006, 08:29 PM
I stopped by my dealer today to discuss with service three issues with my 2006 550i with just over 1,000 miles. The three issues are:

1. When starting engine cold, idle is a bit rough until the idle switches from fast idle to slow idle - about 20 - 30 seconds.
2. When coming to a stop from a relatively slow speed, or gradually slowing to a stop, the transmission makes a hard downshift at just about 1,000 RPM. It is not a loud clunk or thud, but a definite feel of a jolt or jerk.
3. Under conditions that I have yet to clearly identify, on acceleration from a dead stop, occassionally the accelerator seems to surge teh car forward much more quickly than one has expected or planned.

After explaining these items to a Service Advisor, I took two different people for a ride to show them Item #2. The others seem to occur only when the engine is cold. The second person is the Shop Supervisor. I was able to demonstrate the transmission issue for both of them and they definitely felt it several times each. I have an appointment on Monday to take my car in for them to attempt to fix all three issues or at least Items #1 & #2. I hope to be able to clarify Item #3 over the weekend. They expect to have the car for two days, so they can deal with the cold start issues.
E60VTA,

I just dropped my car off at the corporate dealership in downtown Toronto. They told me that #1 (rough idle when cold) should get fixed with CIP 20.00. I also took the shop foreman for a drive and demonstrated #2. I my case (and the foreman agrees with me) the jerk/jolt is due to an upshift and NOT a downshift. They have not seen this before simply because they haven't sold many 550s and nobody had complained about this yet. I am expecting to get a update from them tomorrow afternoon and I will post the results.
I am not experincing the #3 issue.

Osama
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='226186

E60VTA,

I just dropped my car off at the corporate dealership in downtown Toronto. They told me that #1 (rough idle when cold) should get fixed with CIP 20.00. I also took the shop foreman for a drive and demonstrated #2. I my case (and the foreman agrees with me) the jerk/jolt is due to an upshift and NOT a downshift. They have not seen this before simply because they haven't sold many 550s and nobody had complained about this yet. I am expecting to get a update from them tomorrow afternoon and I will post the results.
I am not experincing the #3 issue.

Osama
[/quote]

Osama,
Thanks for your update. I agree that looking at the documentation for CIP 20, Item #1, the rough idle at start -up should be cured with this upgrade. I think that you are also correct regarding the limited number of 550i cars that service people see.

When you feel the odd transmission shift at low speed (in my case it is in D) do you see the tach needle shift/bump UP or DOWN?

Quick Reply: 550i Step transmission weird behaviour