E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Step transmission weird behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Silverstone/Black M5 with Comfort Access, Manual Side Sunshades, Electric Rear Sunshade, M Multi-Function Active Seat, Head-Up Display.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222028
Originally Posted by Dirty 30' post='222005' date='Jan 10 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised the dealer replaced the transmission over those symptoms. the odds of it being mechanical were by far outweighed by it being software related.
Agreed - just shows how much the dealers understand about our cars!!!!
I would imagine that the dealer either tried a software fix first or, through previous experience, knew that software would not fix the problem,
[/quote]

Yes ... the dealer did indeed try several software fixes before replacing the transmission. What really surprised me is that they didn't figure out that this problem affects all 550i steptronic. The loaner I have does the same thing and hopefully someone on this forum can confirm or deny this behaviour.

Osama
Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

I tried what you asked this morning on the way to work. Like I said in a previous reply - the transmission does seem to be a bit "busy" I notice a downshift at around 35 mph and then again at 25 to 30 mph. This seems kind of quick. I cant say that I hear much and to be honest didnt find this to be particularly annoying just kind of odd. I notice it more just coming into town and slowing from 45mph to around 25mph. The transmission seems to be in a lower gear than it needs to be. Also seems a little confused about which gear it wants to be in (2nd or 3rd) while driving in the 25-35 range. I wish it would stay in 3rd at this speed.

Sometimes drive it in manual mode just to avoid this.

I have an appointment for CIP 20 update tomorrow. I will let you know if it helps.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

So weird!
Steptronic here. No problems.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I use DS a lot in traffic and at stop lights as I like to be prepared for anything and find the greater engine braking and acceleration a benefit. Although my 6er is a model year '05 the tranny is identical and it does not exhibit the symptoms you describe. There have been several reports, however, of a "tranny slam" that on '04 and '05 Step Trannies. ALthough your description is not quite exactly the same it is close enough for you to perhaps do a search on Tranny Slam or Transmission Slam.

Here are a couple:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16059&hl=slam

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20144&hl=slam

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16171&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16080&hl=

There are more but this should get you started.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222028
Originally Posted by Dirty 30' post='222005' date='Jan 10 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised the dealer replaced the transmission over those symptoms. the odds of it being mechanical were by far outweighed by it being software related.
I would imagine that the dealer either tried a software fix first or, through previous experience, knew that software would not fix the problem,
[/quote]
Ok, I'll let them off...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='222035
Originally Posted by colejl' post='222012' date='Jan 10 2006, 08:09 AM
[quote name='Dirty 30' post='222005' date='Jan 10 2006, 12:32 PM']
[/quote]

Yes ... the dealer did indeed try several software fixes before replacing the transmission. What really surprised me is that they didn't figure out that this problem affects all 550i steptronic. The loaner I have does the same thing and hopefully someone on this forum can confirm or deny this behaviour.

Osama
[/quote]

Osama,
I tested your declaration today. It does not occur in my car. I tried it over 5 times and below are the details:

1. Put the tranny in DS mode.
2. Accelerate to 60 mph driving for 5+ minutes.
3. Release the gas pedal and coasted to a stop (no brake applied).

At around 35-40 mph, the rpm was just above 1500. At 20 mph, the rpm was a tad above 1000 rpm. Below 20 mph, the rpm was below 1000.

The car DID NOT up shift or a second or so (as you described) and then downshift. As a matter of fact, the tranny downshifted accordingly as the speedometer decrease, never going above 2000 rpm (from 40 mph) and never under or to 1000 rpm until the speed was 15 mph or lower. I would say that right at around 20 mph, the rpm is at 1000 rpm never experienced at sudden upshift. Only a progressive downshift as the car slows down (with a little engine braking).

Again, my bimmer is a 3/05 build and never had a CIP update (that I know of). The engine is not rough in the morning either. It was 54 F this morning.

I hope this helps. Perhaps you may need to bring your car to another dealer (if possible). Possible that the technician may not be well versed in updating/reloading the CIP.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silverstone/Black M5 with Comfort Access, Manual Side Sunshades, Electric Rear Sunshade, M Multi-Function Active Seat, Head-Up Display.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='223735' date='Jan 13 2006, 10:50 AM
Osama,
I tested your declaration today. It does not occur in my car. I tried it over 5 times and below are the details:

At around 35-40 mph, the rpm was just above 1500. At 20 mph, the rpm was a tad above 1000 rpm. Below 20 mph, the rpm was below 1000.

The car DID NOT up shift or a second or so (as you described) and then downshift. As a matter of fact, the tranny downshifted accordingly as the speedometer decrease, never going above 2000 rpm (from 40 mph) and never under or to 1000 rpm until the speed was 15 mph or lower. I would say that right at around 20 mph, the rpm is at 1000 rpm never experienced at sudden upshift. Only a progressive downshift as the car slows down (with a little engine braking).

Again, my bimmer is a 3/05 build and never had a CIP update (that I know of). The engine is not rough in the morning either. It was 54 F this morning.

I hope this helps. Perhaps you may need to bring your car to another dealer (if possible). Possible that the technician may not be well versed in updating/reloading the CIP.
Thank you very much for doing it ... This confirms to me that this problem is specific to the 550i. I have also confirmed that this is a problem with not just my car but another new car (less than 500km) that the dealer has. It would be really nice to get one more data point from a 550i owner. Any 550i owner out there willing to do what bimmer32 did?

Many thanks in advance for any 550i owner willing to help
Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='223739
Osama,

Thank you very much for doing it ... This confirms to me that this problem is specific to the 550i. I have also confirmed that this is a problem with not just my car but another new car (less than 500km) that the dealer has. It would be really nice to get one more data point from a 550i owner. Any 550i owner out there willing to do what bimmer32 did?

Many thanks in advance for any 550i owner willing to help
[/quote]

When I drive drive a 550i on the 17th, I will let you know.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='222035
Originally Posted by colejl' post='222012' date='Jan 10 2006, 08:09 AM
[quote name='Dirty 30' post='222005' date='Jan 10 2006, 12:32 PM']
[/quote]

Osama
[/quote]
Have you received any new info from your dealer or others about how widespread the problem is? And, is there anything new about the fix on yours?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='223760' date='Jan 13 2006, 12:00 PM
Have you received any new info from your dealer or others about how widespread the problem is? And, is there anything new about the fix on yours?
No info on how wide spread this is ... my dealer received only 2 550i so far .. mine and another one they are using as a demo. Both exhibit the problem. Nothing from BMW Canada yet on when a fix will be offered. But you can bet that I will not drop this issue until it is fixed.

Quick Reply: 550i Step transmission weird behaviour