E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i with Sport Pkg & runflats- A rough ride??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've got a 550i Sport pkg with just about every option on order, can't wait.. But I am reading so much about the run flats that i'm a little concerned with the ride quality and interior noise levels with the stiffer suspension and run flat tires. Does anyone have info about the differences and/or first hand experience? Like decibel readings between the two. I found a review that said a 545i with sport pkg was 64 dba at 60mph, which is quiet. My test drive vehicle didn't have the sport package and they didn't have another 5 there with it so I didn't get to try it. The 550i I did drive was so quiet and comfortable so I'm hoping it's not actually degraded that significantly with the run flats.. And which brand tires are they coming with? Thanks in advance, Steve (Massachusetts)
Old 04-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='265039' date='Apr 5 2006, 01:22 PM
I've got a 550i Sport pkg with just about every option on order, can't wait.. But I am reading so much about the run flats that i'm a little concerned with the ride quality and interior noise levels with the stiffer suspension and run flat tires. Does anyone have info about the differences and/or first hand experience? Like decibel readings between the two. I found a review that said a 545i with sport pkg was 64 dba at 60mph, which is quiet. My test drive vehicle didn't have the sport package and they didn't have another 5 there with it so I didn't get to try it. The 550i I did drive was so quiet and comfortable so I'm hoping it's not actually degraded that significantly with the run flats.. And which brand tires are they coming with? Thanks in advance, Steve (Massachusetts)
Not to worry.IMO the ride is not as harsh as some make it out to be with the SP and the RFT's I like it very much the way it is and you also have to remember your car won't lean when you go around turns,it will stay flat. I will also tell you this that the ride is not going to be as mushy as a Detroit Iron, if thats what your looking for don't get it,(meaning the SP with the RFT's).
Mine came with Dunlop RFT's and at 12000+ miles they are not noisy and I'm running with 36 psi in the front and 44 psi in the rear.
cheers
vern
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

My ride with the Sport Package and Run Flats was never rough.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

I've tried an E60 with sports suspension and runflats.

In my opinion the ride is very harsh especially on rough road surfaces which makes the car feel nerveous. The issue is not the sports suspension or the absorbtion of bumps. The issue is the runflat tyres which behave like normal tyres inflated far above the recommended air pressure.

There is no other way than to try yourself the car you want on the kind of roads you are using usually. Only this way you will have a good idea what you are buying and if that's what you like.

I bought an E61 with 18'', normal suspension and runflats and think the ride is poor. After 1500 miles I still hate it and will switch to non-runflats for the reasons mentioned above.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

It's rougher than it ought to be, but having no sport package on a 550 would suck.

That's the best way I can explain it.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Members

Talking

Thanks so far everyone.. Isn't it funny how to one person it's perfect and too the other it's rough.. I'm not too worried about it being a little stiffer since I am the sport driver.. I'll try to get behind the wheel of one soon to see for sure. It is after all a Bimmer.. no matter what it's going to be better than everyone else
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Black/Black, every option except HUD

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='265039' date='Apr 5 2006, 10:22 AM
Nothing to worry about. I have a 550i with RF's. The ride is neither loud or rough. Quiet and comfortable. You'll love it. Just when you need to punch it, all the balance and power is there. Enjoy.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Welcome, but don't worry, you're in Massachussetts! We ride around on snow tires 5 months a year, so you'll get to feel the difference (and the relief) yourself, next winter.

I'm anticipating the return to crisp handling of mine, but dreading the harsh thumping on our curmmy roads. I do not think my RFs are necessary or desirable, but since they have only 2000 miles on them, they'll get worn out before I replace them with high performance normal tires.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I have Bridgestone runflats on my 545 with the Sport package and I don't have any complaints about noise or ride. I had the orignal Dunflops replaced by BMW at their expense due to noise. Tire air pressure can make a lot of difference in the ride, so I tend to run it on the low side of the recommendations. Others on the forum have raved about non-runflat tires riding better without loss of handling, so you could change if you don't like your ride.

In any case, the e60 without Sport does not have Active Roll Stabilization which is probably one of the best features of the car. If you want a Lexus style ride and handling, then you probably won't care if you don't have the Sport option. But if you bought your e60 for handling and performance, then Sport is essential.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I too have read the harsh ride messages, but am not disappointed with my ride. At 8,000 miles I am still waiting for the noise everyone talks about to surface. So far I am happy with the ride and noise level, not too harsh or loud at all. I suppose non RFs would be smoother though.

Quick Reply: 550i with Sport Pkg & runflats- A rough ride??