E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i feels like it has turbo lag

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010 | 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

^have you tried the SB for yourself only read about it? not all members take the SB off for service. like any other mod, it's personal preference that it comes down too...

the SB isn't that expensive IMO, its a small price to pay for not having to smash the throttle all the time...

you may prefer to spend the money on something that "looks cool", same may want to spend that same money on something that "feels cool"....

GL with your decision OP..

***I've never liked koolaide....
Old 02-08-2010 | 02:23 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

I promise you it's NOT the same as mashing on the pedal. It's more comparative to the Sport Mode button on an M3.

Originally Posted by bha7176
I say, "Just say NO to the Sprint Booster!" It only affects the feel of the pedal and has absolutely NO affect on throttle response, decreased lag, etc. Just push the pedal a little harder and you get the same results as the SB. I understand the need of those who have it to keep drinking the koolaide and saying it really makes a difference blah blah blah, but really, think about what its doing. And there are some very respected and long time members who have it and swear by it - I still respect them and there opinions, just not on this one.

Don't believe it, read this http://peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

Just my two cents on this OVERLY EXPENSIVE damn near useless mod. Then you have to worry with taking it off when the car goes in for service, putting it back on, etc etc.

Save your money for another mod that doesn't do anything, but at least looks cool, like a roof spoiler or something.
Old 02-08-2010 | 02:54 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I say, "Just say NO to the Sprint Booster!" It only affects the feel of the pedal and has absolutely NO affect on throttle response, decreased lag, etc. Just push the pedal a little harder and you get the same results as the SB. I understand the need of those who have it to keep drinking the koolaide and saying it really makes a difference blah blah blah, but really, think about what its doing. And there are some very respected and long time members who have it and swear by it - I still respect them and there opinions, just not on this one.

Just my two cents on this OVERLY EXPENSIVE damn near useless mod. Then you have to worry with taking it off when the car goes in for service, putting it back on, etc etc.

Save your money for another mod that doesn't do anything, but at least looks cool, like a roof spoiler or something.
Have you ever tried it?
Old 02-08-2010 | 03:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I have not tried it. I've been an advocate against it since I joined and started discussing such things on this forum (which admittedly wasn't that long ago). Not sure why exactly except it just doesn't seem right to me, for all the reasons I've previously stated.

Oh well, maybe someday I'll actually run into someone who has it and I'll try it and LOVE it.

Good luck OP! I think the lag is just the lag, not much you can do about it unless you or your friend upgrade to an M3 or M5.
Old 02-08-2010 | 03:44 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I have not tried it.
Name:  Sigh.gif
Views: 96
Size:  898 Bytes

Try it. Please.
Old 02-08-2010 | 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by grady
i can see how my initial message could have been misinterpreted.

I am clear that neither my 550 nor my prior 540 have turbos. I was using this to illustrate the feel of the rush of power I have in 550 that is not immediate. There is a slight pause before the torque kicks in. It feels a bit like my old TT audi s4.
Strange, very strange! I had 2002 540 ia Sport with 3.15 rear and as far as I remember not much was changed for 2003 MY, just cosmetics and bigger whhels that usually slow a car down a little bit. So compared to my 540 my next 3 cars can be rated as:

2005 545 - very responsive, agile and notisably faster than 2002 540 in any situation and at any RPM, very firm ride but much more luxurious overall feel than 540.

2007 550 - slow from start, lazy engine but smother than 545, overall even more luxirious than 545, faster at higher speeds than 545.

2010 550 - very responsive from start and at mid-range, same as 2007 at higher RPM. At the same time very noisy, M-sport suspension is extremely hard, notisable engine vibration and sound. I hear the engine ALL the time and not sure I like it. When on winter 17 inch wheels feels very much like my old E39.

Go figure!
Old 02-08-2010 | 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
invest in a sprint booster...

and/or try the 25 sec transmission reset...
hehehehe

I never experienced this on my 550 sport but the 25 second thing sure improved the hesitaion on my MINI Cooper S.

sixcard
Old 02-08-2010 | 04:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by sixcard
hehehehe

I never experienced this on my 550 sport but the 25 second thing sure improved the hesitaion on my MINI Cooper S.

sixcard
Old 02-08-2010 | 06:02 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

i haven't tried it either, but why argue so strongly against something for which you have no experience? dude, that's just wrong.
Old 02-08-2010 | 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by dowe
i haven't tried it either, but why argue so strongly against something for which you have no experience? dude, that's just wrong.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions..though it would be nice to base those on personal experience rather than "impressions" -- perhaps stating that in your OP would've made the difference bha...

It sounds like the OP needs the transmission reset at least. I always find lag builds up on these cars (esp with city driving) as it 'learns' to lower the rev thresholds to switch gears, stay in second most of the time, etc...

Reset the tranny and it feels like a new ride.......instantly.

Try it and report back...

S

Quick Reply: 550i feels like it has turbo lag