E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 vs M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='828221' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:12 PM
I drive in M mode all the time with the wife. I'm not paying $1200/month for a 400HP car. Although I don't drive the car that often anymore, when I do, I take full advantage and make sure my money is being well spent.
well said!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

get the m life is about getting bigger and better things as you get older
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Do your part to stimulate the economy! GO WITH THE //M! Man...I'm debating on black or white Nike's....sheesh. I will live vicariously through you....
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributors

I went 550 to the M5 and have 0 regrets.

The only real problem is what will I drive next. Unfortunately once you get used to the M5, it's like getting a taste for good wine, very hard to go back to anything else.

I still can't get over the brakes - when you get in your wife's car, rental car or whatever it is just shocking how inadequate non-M brakes are.

Just get the car, you will love it!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='828023' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:14 AM
Gas was $4.39/gallon and my payment was as big as a mortgage....reasons enough?
But wouldn't you have also lost money going from the M5 to the 550 in the actual getting rid of the M5 and taking a hit?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by corgidog' post='828483' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:34 PM
But wouldn't you have also lost money going from the M5 to the 550 in the actual getting rid of the M5 and taking a hit?
He ripped off the new owner of the M5. That guy deserved it.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='828490' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:44 PM
He ripped off the new owner of the M5. That guy deserved it.
Total sucker!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

As someone who went from a 550 to a M5 here are my random thoughts/comments....

1. I miss the torque of my 550. You saw this first hand in your driving tests with your friend off the line.
2. I miss the the Active Steering in my 550 - not much because of the variable ratio in the M5, but still a bit. In addition, every time I drove an M5 back to back with my 550, I could not believe how "light" the steering was in the M5 - my 550 had firmer steering - at least in non-M mode. Not sure if you noticed that.
3. I got the 6-speed manual and I love it. I love it enough that I would consider a 550 with it. No need for SMG for me as I don't track it and I do a lot of 0-30-0 driving (where they "say" the SMG can be a bit harsh).
4. Most of the cool options your friend had can be had on the 550 as well (just no M button). While the M5 will out-handle the 550, I do miss the ARS of the 550 -that was a cool feature IMHO.
5. I love limited slip

In the end, no way do I think the M5 is worth $25K more. If the new 555 comes with the V8 twin turbo, well then even less of a reason.

HOWEVER, you only live once and I don't regret having to "live" with a M5 for 36 months of my life...especially when I look back into my parking lot at work today where I accelerated rather fast this morning and left two nice long tire marks. Hard to do that in a 550 (leaving two marks that is).
Old 03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by studavis' post='827933' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:26 AM
My lease on the 07 550 is up in Jan of 2010, and I have been struggling with the decision on replacing it with another 550, or stepping up to the M5. Either way I plan on picking the car up in Munich although at this time there is no euro discount on the M5. I have been discussing the dilemma to my friend John whom owns a 07 M5 with the SMG. We met for lunch today, and then took the two cars out to an undisclosed location here in Idaho and ran them through the paces. Side by side, the M5 does indeed look a lot more menacing than the 550i. You don't notice the slight differences when you look at the cars alone, but sitting next to each other, I was fascinated by the differences in the front end, the stance of the M5, and how much better black looks on the car than my blue. Inside the M5 you immediately see differences, the stitching on the dash, the headliner is finished in a suede looking stuff that seems much richer than the 550i. The console idrive is different, somehow looking thinner and more streamlined. There is six more buttons on the center dashboard, where my heated seats and parking control are mounted. This car has ventilated seats that both bolster, cool, and heat, I think that they are the 20 way contoured seats with the spendy full leather option. Starting the M5 is the same, although very disconcerting that there is no "park" on the tranny. John showed me the full auto mode, and then the smg mode. It took me two minutes to get familiar with the paddles. The one on the left shifts down, the one on the right up. He rode with me for a couple of passes, and then he hit the "M" button, and then firmed up the suspension, with a switch by the gear shift, and then put the shift points into what I would only describe as harsh mode. More on that in a minute. The difference between 400 horsepower and 500 might not seem like much, but in reality it is almost 25% more and you notice it right off the bat. With the M5 floored, and shifting at the 6800 - 7000 rpm level, the car just screams. The interior engine noise is much more noticeable in the M5, and frankly, the shifting sequence makes me feel like the tranny is going to separate from the engine and join me in the front seat. My 997 is about .4 seconds quicker to 60 than the M5, but the BMW's combination of engine noise and solid roof make it seem faster. After a few more traps, I got back in the 550i and we ran a few head to head passes. The 550i will out run the M5 off the line in both "m" mode and not, and in three attempts, John could not catch me in non M mode to 100 mph, our predetermined cutoff point. In "M" mode, I stayed ahead of him for probably less than 3 seconds, and then the M5 passes me, and the distance between the two cars grows till shutdown. I am sold. The M5 is very street-able in the non "M" mode, and I seriously doubt loving wife will notice any difference. But put that bad boy in "m" mode, and make the changes and it is very impressive. Is the extra 140 horsepower worth 25K? In my book it is a bargain.
The 550 is a terrific car but if you can swing the price difference, just get the M5. You only live once.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by studavis' post='827933' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:26 AM
My lease on the 07 550 is up in Jan of 2010, and I have been struggling with the decision on replacing it with another 550, or stepping up to the M5. Either way I plan on picking the car up in Munich although at this time there is no euro discount on the M5. I have been discussing the dilemma to my friend John whom owns a 07 M5 with the SMG. We met for lunch today, and then took the two cars out to an undisclosed location here in Idaho and ran them through the paces. Side by side, the M5 does indeed look a lot more menacing than the 550i. You don't notice the slight differences when you look at the cars alone, but sitting next to each other, I was fascinated by the differences in the front end, the stance of the M5, and how much better black looks on the car than my blue. Inside the M5 you immediately see differences, the stitching on the dash, the headliner is finished in a suede looking stuff that seems much richer than the 550i. The console idrive is different, somehow looking thinner and more streamlined. There is six more buttons on the center dashboard, where my heated seats and parking control are mounted. This car has ventilated seats that both bolster, cool, and heat, I think that they are the 20 way contoured seats with the spendy full leather option. Starting the M5 is the same, although very disconcerting that there is no "park" on the tranny. John showed me the full auto mode, and then the smg mode. It took me two minutes to get familiar with the paddles. The one on the left shifts down, the one on the right up. He rode with me for a couple of passes, and then he hit the "M" button, and then firmed up the suspension, with a switch by the gear shift, and then put the shift points into what I would only describe as harsh mode. More on that in a minute. The difference between 400 horsepower and 500 might not seem like much, but in reality it is almost 25% more and you notice it right off the bat. With the M5 floored, and shifting at the 6800 - 7000 rpm level, the car just screams. The interior engine noise is much more noticeable in the M5, and frankly, the shifting sequence makes me feel like the tranny is going to separate from the engine and join me in the front seat. My 997 is about .4 seconds quicker to 60 than the M5, but the BMW's combination of engine noise and solid roof make it seem faster. After a few more traps, I got back in the 550i and we ran a few head to head passes. The 550i will out run the M5 off the line in both "m" mode and not, and in three attempts, John could not catch me in non M mode to 100 mph, our predetermined cutoff point. In "M" mode, I stayed ahead of him for probably less than 3 seconds, and then the M5 passes me, and the distance between the two cars grows till shutdown. I am sold. The M5 is very street-able in the non "M" mode, and I seriously doubt loving wife will notice any difference. But put that bad boy in "m" mode, and make the changes and it is very impressive. Is the extra 140 horsepower worth 25K? In my book it is a bargain.

You have no idea how many fat women I would screw for cash just to save enough for a down payment on an M5. /sigh, /cry. =(

Quick Reply: 550 vs M5