E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 vs M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

My lease on the 07 550 is up in Jan of 2010, and I have been struggling with the decision on replacing it with another 550, or stepping up to the M5. Either way I plan on picking the car up in Munich although at this time there is no euro discount on the M5. I have been discussing the dilemma to my friend John whom owns a 07 M5 with the SMG. We met for lunch today, and then took the two cars out to an undisclosed location here in Idaho and ran them through the paces. Side by side, the M5 does indeed look a lot more menacing than the 550i. You don't notice the slight differences when you look at the cars alone, but sitting next to each other, I was fascinated by the differences in the front end, the stance of the M5, and how much better black looks on the car than my blue. Inside the M5 you immediately see differences, the stitching on the dash, the headliner is finished in a suede looking stuff that seems much richer than the 550i. The console idrive is different, somehow looking thinner and more streamlined. There is six more buttons on the center dashboard, where my heated seats and parking control are mounted. This car has ventilated seats that both bolster, cool, and heat, I think that they are the 20 way contoured seats with the spendy full leather option. Starting the M5 is the same, although very disconcerting that there is no "park" on the tranny. John showed me the full auto mode, and then the smg mode. It took me two minutes to get familiar with the paddles. The one on the left shifts down, the one on the right up. He rode with me for a couple of passes, and then he hit the "M" button, and then firmed up the suspension, with a switch by the gear shift, and then put the shift points into what I would only describe as harsh mode. More on that in a minute. The difference between 400 horsepower and 500 might not seem like much, but in reality it is almost 25% more and you notice it right off the bat. With the M5 floored, and shifting at the 6800 - 7000 rpm level, the car just screams. The interior engine noise is much more noticeable in the M5, and frankly, the shifting sequence makes me feel like the tranny is going to separate from the engine and join me in the front seat. My 997 is about .4 seconds quicker to 60 than the M5, but the BMW's combination of engine noise and solid roof make it seem faster. After a few more traps, I got back in the 550i and we ran a few head to head passes. The 550i will out run the M5 off the line in both "m" mode and not, and in three attempts, John could not catch me in non M mode to 100 mph, our predetermined cutoff point. In "M" mode, I stayed ahead of him for probably less than 3 seconds, and then the M5 passes me, and the distance between the two cars grows till shutdown. I am sold. The M5 is very street-able in the non "M" mode, and I seriously doubt loving wife will notice any difference. But put that bad boy in "m" mode, and make the changes and it is very impressive. Is the extra 140 horsepower worth 25K? In my book it is a bargain.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

So are we gonna see an M5 in your garage soon?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by studavis' post='827933' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:26 AM
My lease on the 07 550 is up in Jan of 2010, and I have been struggling with the decision on replacing it with another 550, or stepping up to the M5. Either way I plan on picking the car up in Munich although at this time there is no euro discount on the M5. I have been discussing the dilemma to my friend John whom owns a 07 M5 with the SMG. We met for lunch today, and then took the two cars out to an undisclosed location here in Idaho and ran them through the paces. Side by side, the M5 does indeed look a lot more menacing than the 550i. You don't notice the slight differences when you look at the cars alone, but sitting next to each other, I was fascinated by the differences in the front end, the stance of the M5, and how much better black looks on the car than my blue. Inside the M5 you immediately see differences, the stitching on the dash, the headliner is finished in a suede looking stuff that seems much richer than the 550i. The console idrive is different, somehow looking thinner and more streamlined. There is six more buttons on the center dashboard, where my heated seats and parking control are mounted. This car has ventilated seats that both bolster, cool, and heat, I think that they are the 20 way contoured seats with the spendy full leather option. Starting the M5 is the same, although very disconcerting that there is no "park" on the tranny. John showed me the full auto mode, and then the smg mode. It took me two minutes to get familiar with the paddles. The one on the left shifts down, the one on the right up. He rode with me for a couple of passes, and then he hit the "M" button, and then firmed up the suspension, with a switch by the gear shift, and then put the shift points into what I would only describe as harsh mode. More on that in a minute. The difference between 400 horsepower and 500 might not seem like much, but in reality it is almost 25% more and you notice it right off the bat. With the M5 floored, and shifting at the 6800 - 7000 rpm level, the car just screams. The interior engine noise is much more noticeable in the M5, and frankly, the shifting sequence makes me feel like the tranny is going to separate from the engine and join me in the front seat. My 997 is about .4 seconds quicker to 60 than the M5, but the BMW's combination of engine noise and solid roof make it seem faster. After a few more traps, I got back in the 550i and we ran a few head to head passes. The 550i will out run the M5 off the line in both "m" mode and not, and in three attempts, John could not catch me in non M mode to 100 mph, our predetermined cutoff point. In "M" mode, I stayed ahead of him for probably less than 3 seconds, and then the M5 passes me, and the distance between the two cars grows till shutdown. I am sold. The M5 is very street-able in the non "M" mode, and I seriously doubt loving wife will notice any difference. But put that bad boy in "m" mode, and make the changes and it is very impressive. Is the extra 140 horsepower worth 25K? In my book it is a bargain.
Life is about steps! Take the step up, im sure you wont regret it!! Thats what i think but obviously both cars are exceptional so go with whatever your gut is telling you!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by studavis' post='827933' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:26 AM
...and I seriously doubt loving wife will notice any difference. But put that bad boy in "m" mode, and make the changes and it is very impressive.
Even in 400HP mode, the car is a beast, and she WILL notice the difference. But, yes, in M mode it comes alive. You will find yourself not even driving in 400HP mode....it's a waste of a 100HP!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Dr lev any reason you went from the m5 to 550?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport package- Sapphire black

Originally Posted by studavis' post='827933' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:26 AM

go for the m5
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Gas was $4.39/gallon and my payment was as big as a mortgage....reasons enough?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the ///M5
Old 03-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Contributors

I was recently at this crossroad as well and my decision is obvious. Go for the M.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I drive in M mode all the time with the wife. I'm not paying $1200/month for a 400HP car. Although I don't drive the car that often anymore, when I do, I take full advantage and make sure my money is being well spent.

Quick Reply: 550 vs M5