E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 engine tick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010 | 11:32 PM
DSF
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Individual 2005
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by or_550i
You might want to alert Bentley Publishers and BMW so they can fix their FSM.
It is the same engine N62
Old 11-11-2010 | 02:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DSF
How can two engines having dissimilar displacements be the same engines? If the bore and stroke are not the same then the crank and pistons aren't either. The cylinders would be taller to account for the longer stroke of the 4.8. 4.4L=4.8L? Mmmmmm, that's not what my 2nd grade teacher taught me in math class.
Old 11-11-2010 | 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Twinair
How can two engines having dissimilar displacements be the same engines? If the bore and stroke are not the same then the crank and pistons aren't either. The cylinders would be taller to account for the longer stroke of the 4.8. 4.4L=4.8L? Mmmmmm, that's not what my 2nd grade teacher taught me in math class.
Once you pass the second grade your economics and engineering professors will teach you that it's cheaper to build it once and make it adaptable. Also, your English teacher might require you to read, above, about how the bore and stroke sizes are different.

It's the same engine - with some slight differences.
Old 11-11-2010 | 02:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
Not sure about the 550, but on my 528 the tick I get (which sounds exactly like you are describing) is the exhaust lifters. Been waiting on parts for a few weeks which, from what I have read, will immediatly remedy the issue..
Is your car at Century?

I may need to bring mine up there and have the same mech take a look at mine that's working on yours. Tom Williams here in Bham is pretty much writing it off it sounds.

See below as to what the SA says......

"Thanks again for your patience. Shane did a test on another 2006 550i with the same results?.it had 29,000 miles. At that rpm the engine is not in the cruise range (unless you are going very fast!) and on acceleration it goes through that range quickly. He determined it is not abnormal. It may be the normal operation of the variable valve timing system changing for higher rpms? The good news is that we did not have to take the belts off, and they are still in good condition. So you are ready to pick-up?.finally!"

I'm not convinced :thumbsdown:
Old 11-12-2010 | 09:50 AM
Senior Members

The car is due for an oil change.....I bought some BMW oil when I picked up the car today. I'll try it and see if I notice the tick going away. I've been using Mobil 0w40 for a year or so now, so I'll see if it makes any difference. Doubtful, but we'll see!
Old 11-12-2010 | 12:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Is your car at Century?

I may need to bring mine up there and have the same mech take a look at mine that's working on yours. Tom Williams here in Bham is pretty much writing it off it sounds.

See below as to what the SA says......

"Thanks again for your patience. Shane did a test on another 2006 550i with the same results?.it had 29,000 miles. At that rpm the engine is not in the cruise range (unless you are going very fast!) and on acceleration it goes through that range quickly. He determined it is not abnormal. It may be the normal operation of the variable valve timing system changing for higher rpms? The good news is that we did not have to take the belts off, and they are still in good condition. So you are ready to pick-up?.finally!"

I'm not convinced :thumbsdown:
Yes, Century is where I bought the car and who is doing the service. Brian Maynard is the SA who is working the issue for me.

Sorry, don't know what HOD CCA is...
Old 11-12-2010 | 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
Yes, Century is where I bought the car and who is doing the service. Brian Maynard is the SA who is working the issue for me.

Sorry, don't know what HOD CCA is...
Thanks,

I may go up there....I bought my car there too.

HOD CCA is the Heart Of Dixie chapter of the BMW Car Club of America

http://www.albmwcca.org/
Old 12-06-2010 | 09:18 PM
Senior Members

I switched back to BMW 5w30 oil from 0w40 Mobil, and the tick is far worse now
Old 12-07-2010 | 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

i have the exact same symptoms on my 05 545. i switched from bmw oil to mobil 0-40 and the cold tick went completely away for about 1000 miles. once the viscosity of the oil degraded a bit the tick came back, but only when cold, same as yours. when its hot the engine is totally quiet. it seems to me to be an intake lifter b/c you must have the correct rpm and throttle pos'n as this changes the geometry around on the intake valve train. i really hate the design, if i had done my research b/f i bought the car and known about the valvetronic mechanism i wouldn't have gotten near it, way too complex and untested. i read the new bmw's don't have this system anymore, wonder why?

would mobil 5-50 or 15-50 would fix the problem forever? i may try one of those next time just as an experiment. i almost put in 5-50 this last oil change, but several members here scared me out if it. this time there is no stopping the experiment. if it is defective lifter, the higher viscosity should have a huge effect on it. the fact that new 0-40 fixed it for a 1000 miles is real data.

please let us know what the dealer fixed and what the cost was.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
I switched back to BMW 5w30 oil from 0w40 Mobil, and the tick is far worse now
Old 09-20-2011 | 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I have ticking noise (very quite), I would say it's like a diesel engine noise (or lose parts rattle), but it's not very distinct, I have to sit near left wheel well, try to eliminate noise of fuel injectors , then I can hear it. Please do same on your 550 and report back.
I have BMW tech to listen and he said all normal.
BTW, BMW tech with 15 years experience told it?s completely different engine then 545i, I argued, but he said they eliminated this problem (on 545) completely.

Quick Reply: 550 engine tick?