5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   550 acceleration (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/550-acceleration-32765/)

grogan545 10-27-2006 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='349542' date='Oct 27 2006, 09:36 PM
Grogan, I too have a non-sports package 545 (Feb '04 delivery) that came with the goodyear RSA tires. I just made the switch to PS2s when I changed the style 116 rims to 135's. The traction difference in wet or dry is huge with the PS2s being FAR superior. Now I have yet to experience temps below 50 F with them but I found the goodyears disappointing for any kind of real sporty driving...

I agree with your assesment of the rsa tires.I just might be a little too thrifty for my own good.I have over 23000 miles on the rsa's and the tread is about 1/2 depth.They are useless below 40F.

grogan545 10-27-2006 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349526' date='Oct 27 2006, 08:35 PM
keep in mind that the computer only "steels" power when we incorrectly apply power that the computer feels will be wasted with spinning wheels...

I whole heartedly agree with Znod on this one.The DTC/DTS controls way over compensate for wheel spin.If I break the tires completly loose the nannies bog the car down tremendously.It does't recover until about 4500 rpm's in 1rst gear.

znod 10-27-2006 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='349573' date='Oct 27 2006, 07:32 PM
I agree with your assesment of the rsa tires.I just might be a little too thrifty for my own good.I have over 23000 miles on the rsa's and the tread is about 1/2 depth.They are useless below 40F.

So, my theory is that your cold weather performance could be improved with new tires. And, I am betting that your best times would be with the nannies off. Do you think you still would need the nannies to get sufficient traction?

grogan545 10-27-2006 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349547' date='Oct 27 2006, 09:45 PM
:D Grogan knows it. His tires are ancient--his originals. He's needed to replace them forever. His car would really be fast in cold weather if he could turn the nannies off--which would be possible if he had some decent tires. :lol: :D :lol:

You are correct Zman.Even though I can well afford to buy new tires I have trouble justifying getting rid of tires that have more than 1/2 tread still on them.Unfortunatly I think the tires cost me a couple of tenths at the drag strip today.On my test road I have learned to manage them in hot and cold weather,but at the strip with only 4 tries it was impossible to get a good starting method(no wheelspin).I think with ps2's I could have squeezed a 13.40 at the strip today.

grogan545 10-27-2006 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349576' date='Oct 27 2006, 10:37 PM
So, my theory is that your cold weather performance could be improved with new tires. And, I am betting that your best times would be with the nannies off. Do you think you still would need the nannies to get sufficient traction?

You are correct Zman.I believe All nannies off with the ps2's would give me the best times.I think my test road has tremendous traction which caused me to think I could do just as well with the rsa's I was wrong.

znod 10-27-2006 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='349578' date='Oct 27 2006, 07:43 PM
I think with ps2's I could have squeezed a 13.40 at the strip today.

Darn. Given your experience with drag strips, I am confident that you are right. I wish that you had had the opportunity to do your best. Did you see my earlier question about weather and altitude?

grogan545 10-27-2006 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349584' date='Oct 27 2006, 11:01 PM
Darn. Given your experience with drag strips, I am confident that you are right. I wish that you had had the opportunity to do your best. Did you see my earlier question about weather and altitude?

Yes Zman.Look in the grogan goes to the drag strip thread.I posted complete run info.

znod 10-27-2006 07:07 PM

I just found it. Thanks.

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349566' date='Oct 27 2006, 07:15 PM
Well, we are not talking about reaction time. I agree that humans generally find it difficult to beat computer reaction times at the drag strip. And, yes, computer assists are great helps much of the time on many circuits at least to some. But, you are straying far from the issue under discussion.

From post #1, the issue is "is it better for a car performance to keep DTC ON or OFF before accelerating??" I interpret the question as follows: Will I produce faster straight-line acceleration from a stop if I turn DTC off? Thus, my replies and comments all are pertinent to answering only this question and pertinent asides--unless it is obvious otherwise--e.g., when I indicated how one turns DTC off. Otherwise, I would be participating in hijacking the thread to discuss something other that what the topic started intended. So, at this point, we both are hijacking the thread to some extent. I suggest we return to its topic.

P.S. I can't believe you made the comment about computer not bragging. Surely, you understood that I challenged you to line up a car similar to mine and to beat my times/speeds with the nannies on. Then, whoever wins would have the bragging rights. So, in this context, you were right when you did this: :doh:

My thought it after reading yours is this - I heard the thread and I beleive my comments are correct and consistent with the thread topic. I dont beleive that we can compensate better than a computer.... The computer (over) compensates for any heavy footing based on the driving style and conditions of the roadway. It makes it much more obvious when there are adverse conditions to which, I will agree, is far too inhibiting for most drivers. In fact, the more slippery the conditions the more likely you will find yourself cursing the traction controls. And I also agree that once its too late and the DTC takes over for the car by rev limiting the engine, there is frustration in the recovery time....way slower than I could react (depending on the amount of slip I gain before the computer takes over).

Holding the DTC button down shuts off BOTH DTC and DSC. The point of this is for drivers who like to slide the car around for fun. So fun quotent up, but the point A to point B efficiency goes down....I would be interested to know if this has ever been tested; however, I believe that in a straight line with dry conditions (or at least conditions that are more forgiving to the human condition) the computer aided car will beat the driver consistently. Of course, in this scenario all things are equal other than traction control....driver skill; horsepower; handling etc.

PS - I was not under the impression you were asking me to have a drag race with you....it never crossed my mind hence the :doh:

grogan545 10-28-2006 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349604' date='Oct 28 2006, 01:59 AM
My thought it after reading yours is this - I heard the thread and I beleive my comments are correct and consistent with the thread topic. I dont beleive that we can compensate better than a computer.... The computer (over) compensates for any heavy footing based on the driving style and conditions of the roadway. It makes it much more obvious when there are adverse conditions to which, I will agree, is far too inhibiting for most drivers. In fact, the more slippery the conditions the more likely you will find yourself cursing the traction controls. And I also agree that once its too late and the DTC takes over for the car by rev limiting the engine, there is frustration in the recovery time....way slower than I could react (depending on the amount of slip I gain before the computer takes over).

Holding the DTC button down shuts off BOTH DTC and DSC. The point of this is for drivers who like to slide the car around for fun. So fun quotent up, but the point A to point B efficiency goes down....I would be interested to know if this has ever been tested; however, I believe that in a straight line with dry conditions (or at least conditions that are more forgiving to the human condition) the computer aided car will beat the driver consistently. Of course, in this scenario all things are equal other than traction control....driver skill; horsepower; handling etc.

PS - I was not under the impression you were asking me to have a drag race with you....it never crossed my mind hence the :doh:

I believe I just proved your theory to be incorrect.I just made 4 runs at a drag strip yesterday.2 runs with controls on,and 2 runs with controls off.The 2 runs with controls on were 13.899 & 13.804.The runs with controls off were 13.70 & 13.644.I have many years experience at the drag strip and have been testing my 545 extensively on the street.With cold,slippery conditions I get better times with the controls on,but under dry,good traction conditions my best times are with the controls off.My best times are always with the controls off.The controls over compensate,even with only a small amount of wheelspin.