5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   550 acceleration (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/550-acceleration-32765/)

raruae 10-27-2006 11:19 AM

When pressing DTC button, I get this massege "DTC activated". Now is that what should be done before taking off?

znod 10-27-2006 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rar' post='349460' date='Oct 27 2006, 12:19 PM
When pressing DTC button, I get this massege "DTC activated". Now is that what should be done before taking off?

You need to press and hold the button until the triangles show up in the center of your "dashboard display."

jlcool007 10-27-2006 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349490' date='Oct 27 2006, 03:17 PM
You need to press and hold the button until the triangles show up in the center of your "dashboard display."

i just keep it on if i am racing in the mountains (dsc and dtc that is) and then when i get warmed up, ill start to allow the back to drift a bit with only dtc. and then when i have the balls to control a car that runs about 2 feet from the edges of large cliffs (not to mention my life...) and i turn everything off. If you don't feel confident, turn of dsc but leave dtc on. If you plain suck (most do btw) leave dsc on until you can take someperformance classes on basic trail braking, threshold braking, weight transfer, correcting under/oversteer, ect.... leave dsc on until you know what you're doing. especially if the consequence can be your life (or a messed car)

-jason

znod 10-27-2006 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jlcool007' post='349497' date='Oct 27 2006, 03:35 PM
i just keep it on if i am racing in the mountains (dsc and dtc that is) and then when i get warmed up, ill start to allow the back to drift a bit with only dtc. and then when i have the balls to control a car that runs about 2 feet from the edges of large cliffs (not to mention my life...) and i turn everything off. If you don't feel confident, turn of dsc but leave dtc on. If you plain suck (most do btw) leave dsc on until you can take someperformance classes on basic trail braking, threshold braking, weight transfer, correcting under/oversteer, ect.... leave dsc on until you know what you're doing. especially if the consequence can be your life (or a messed car)

-jason

Are you replying to me or providing info for others?

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 04:16 PM

we agree to disagree....its not so much that a human cant do it better once. My thoughts are that these capabilities really cant be duplicated time and time again. All things being the same, if I had to bet on a horse I bet on the computer every time. :whistle:

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 04:35 PM

keep in mind that the computer only "steels" power when we incorrectly apply power that the computer feels will be wasted with spinning wheels...

znod 10-27-2006 05:24 PM

What you say is true in principle for a well-functioning management system, but, by design or otherwise, that's not the way it works out with my 545i. My management system way overreacts virtually all the time. A well functioning system would allow the driver to induce some wheel spin without intervening. By doing so, the driver could use his judgment in producing the optimal wheel spin (or just being on the edge of wheel spin)--without fear of losing HP. My management system generally allows no driver discretion--i.e., it attempts to never allow any wheel spin even if the power could be managed in a non-wasteful fashion (i.e., it doesn't just prevent excessive, wasteful wheel spin). In this regard, I get much better times with both DSC and DTC off. My times are a joke with both or even just DSC on. The only time that would not be true for me is if I were in circumstances where I had absolutely uncontrollable wheel spin.

kscarrol 10-27-2006 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='348778' date='Oct 25 2006, 01:02 PM
For me it depends on the weather.I have a 545 without the sport pakage.It came with goodyear RSA tires.In warmer weather(above 50F) I get best results with both DTC/DTS off.In colder weather I get best results with both controls active.Even if I take it easy on the start,I get massive wheelspin as soon as I go to full throttle if I deactivate the controls in cold weather.

Grogan, I too have a non-sports package 545 (Feb '04 delivery) that came with the goodyear RSA tires. I just made the switch to PS2s when I changed the style 116 rims to 135's. The traction difference in wet or dry is huge with the PS2s being FAR superior. Now I have yet to experience temps below 50 F with them but I found the goodyears disappointing for any kind of real sporty driving...

znod 10-27-2006 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='348940' date='Oct 25 2006, 09:49 PM
as much as we like to think its not the case...computer reaction and 'compensation' is better than we can expect to react unless we are professional drivers. I would say slippery weather (like rain or snow) make is easier to show our rough skils, but in all dry pavement and good tires the computer is going to beat us EVERY time.

Well then beat the times and speeds shown here for me where I live, or anywhere for that matter given altitude and weather adjustments, with the nannies on, and then we'll have something to talk about--bragging rights. :)

znod 10-27-2006 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='349542' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:36 PM
Grogan, I too have a non-sports package 545 (Feb '04 delivery) that came with the goodyear RSA tires. I just made the switch to PS2s when I changed the style 116 rims to 135's. The traction difference in wet or dry is huge with the PS2s being FAR superior. Now I have yet to experience temps below 50 F with them but I found the goodyears disappointing for any kind of real sporty driving...

:D Grogan knows it. His tires are ancient--his originals. He's needed to replace them forever. His car would really be fast in cold weather if he could turn the nannies off--which would be possible if he had some decent tires. :lol: :D :lol: