5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   550 acceleration (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/550-acceleration-32765/)

znod 10-27-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349522' date='Oct 27 2006, 05:16 PM
we agree to disagree....its not so much that a human cant do it better once. My thoughts are that these capabilities really cant be duplicated time and time again. All things being the same, if I had to bet on a horse I bet on the computer every time. :whistle:

And, who are you replying to?

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 05:50 PM

computers dont brag the last time I checked... :doh:

If you can beat a computer and its reaction time, you should be driving professionally -maybe you are. But, then again, I think that you'd be hard pressed to not find computers assisting the driver in any professional circuit. Some may not allow for the devices to be around on race day, but there is NO WAY a driver isnt using them to better his time during the testing...these enhancements were developed on the race track my man. BOYA!
:lol:

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349549' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:48 PM
And, who are you replying to?

Why you of course mr Znod.

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349539' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:24 PM
What you say is true in principle for a well-functioning management system, but, by design or otherwise, that's not the way it works out with my 545i. My management system way overreacts virtually all the time. A well functioning system would allow the driver to induce some wheel spin without intervening. By doing so, the driver could use his judgment in producing the optimal wheel spin (or just being on the edge of wheel spin)--without fear of losing HP. My management system generally allows no driver discretion--i.e., it attempts to never allow any wheel spin even if the power could be managed in a non-wasteful fashion (i.e., it doesn't just prevent excessive, wasteful wheel spin). In this regard, I get much better times with both DSC and DTC off. My times are a joke with both or even just DSC on. The only time that would not be true for me is if I were in circumstances where I had absolutely uncontrollable wheel spin.

I hate to refer to American Muscle here, but I traded my 06 Corvette convertible for the 550 I have today. It had 3 stages of traction control. One of which allowed for that in between spot where a driver can get a little bit carried away without the computer taking all of your horsepower rights away...with these high performance cars it would be nice to see this kind of option for the enthusiast

znod 10-27-2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349552' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:52 PM
Why you of course mr Znod.

Cool. If your reply is not right below the pertinent post of mine, then I'd appreciate it if you would include a quote of whatever I have written so I know who you are replying to and what comment(s) you are replying in reference to. Thanks much. :)

Matt BMW California 10-27-2006 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Znod' post='349555' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:57 PM
Cool. If your reply is not right below the pertinent post of mine, then I'd appreciate it if you would include a quote of whatever I have written so I know who you are replying to and what comment(s) you are replying in reference to. Thanks much. :)

getting used to the forum navigation - I think I have the hang now...thanks for pointing that out!! :thumbsup:

znod 10-27-2006 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349554' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:55 PM
I hate to refer to American Muscle here, but I traded my 06 Corvette convertible for the 550 I have today. It had 3 stages of traction control. One of which allowed for that in between spot where a driver can get a little bit carried away without the computer taking all of your horsepower rights away...with these high performance cars it would be nice to see this kind of option for the enthusiast

I prefer nannies off completely with the exception of stability control, but, yes, the sweet spot you mention should produce very nice results. On my Z06, I always use competition mode when I want to accelerate rapidly--meaning stability control on and traction control off. No one in the know drag races a Z06 with traction control on. Even the Z06 traction control takes HP when it need not do so. If interested, check out my Z06 times in my sig. I don't really test the Z06 much, but always get very good times even without power shifting. The worst part of the 545i management system is that you can't turn traction control off and leave stability control on.

znod 10-27-2006 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349556' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:58 PM
getting used to the forum navigation - I think I have the hang now...thanks for pointing that out!! :thumbsup:

You are very welcome.

znod 10-27-2006 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='349551' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:50 PM
computers dont brag the last time I checked... :doh:

If you can beat a computer and its reaction time, you should be driving professionally -maybe you are. But, then again, I think that you'd be hard pressed to not find computers assisting the driver in any professional circuit. Some may not allow for the devices to be around on race day, but there is NO WAY a driver isnt using them to better his time during the testing...these enhancements were developed on the race track my man. BOYA!
:lol:

Well, we are not talking about reaction time. I agree that humans generally find it difficult to beat computer reaction times at the drag strip. And, yes, computer assists are great helps much of the time on many circuits at least to some. But, you are straying far from the issue under discussion.

From post #1, the issue is "is it better for a car performance to keep DTC ON or OFF before accelerating??" I interpret the question as follows: Will I produce faster straight-line acceleration from a stop if I turn DTC off? Thus, my replies and comments all are pertinent to answering only this question and pertinent asides--unless it is obvious otherwise--e.g., when I indicated how one turns DTC off. Otherwise, I would be participating in hijacking the thread to discuss something other that what the topic started intended. So, at this point, we both are hijacking the thread to some extent. I suggest we return to its topic.

P.S. I can't believe you made the comment about computer not bragging. Surely, you understood that I challenged you to line up a car similar to mine and to beat my times/speeds with the nannies on. Then, whoever wins would have the bragging rights. So, in this context, you were right when you did this: :doh:

znod 10-27-2006 06:28 PM

Ok g-man; it's your turn. I see that you are reading along. :lol: Let's here a real pro's opinion. grogan545 "grew up" on a drag strip if anyone doesn't know.