E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

55.500km in my economy 520d :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

My E60 (520d, produced 06/2006) within bit over one year passed its first 55.500km (+/- 35,000 miles... so I thought it would be a good time to make some summary on my personal opinion about my car so far.

So, for the starters, the most important thing: reliability and confidence...
It was my first brand new bimmer (previous ones were purchased used, and generally had problems,however I decided to give the brand one more try... and to be honest, I was a bit affraid after reading posts here about certain annoying problems with E60, as well as hearing here and there "God, my bimmer again broke down this morning..."
So far (crossed fingers..) no problems at all: - car drives suberb, no signs of any technical, mechanical or electronical problems, ride is comfortable yet very responsive and sportive, space - more than enough, inside is perfectly fitted... (btw, I just went with my friend to collect his brand new Passat Tdi-170HP and the overall difference in finish-quality of our cars is unbelievable!)
I gotta admit: my E60 is more than I expected... (well, given the cheapest EU engine-version on the pricelist).
OK, there are some disadvantages in this car I can't appreciate, but step by step:

Here are my detailed impressions after 55.500km:

1) I'll start with the most annoying thing... Well, sounds like the engine gets noisier bit by bit over time, but perhaps it's just me, or my ears or confrontation with our second (gasoline-driven = quiet) car..? Well, on the other hand, last week I drove with a friend his new Audi A6, and the difference between noise level in our cars is just incomparable... No wonder they install such a good BOSE audio in Audis - otherwise engine roar would immediately make you stressed that something must be wrong in there...

2) Looks like my diesel consumption stabilized on the final level of 6,5 L/100km on daily city-Stop'n'Go + fast motorway driving, which I find good (specially given price 0,92 EUR/L in Luxembourg...), however on few longer trips (3000-4000km) without too much effort I managed to go down to the unbelievable 5,6-5,7 l/100km, which nobody wants to believe
As a proof see a photo below: I just returned from a long vacation trip (via DE, BE, NL, PL and back), averaging 5,66 L/100km and achieving 1230km on one tank!
55.500km in my economy 520d :)-spalanie_bmw_520d.jpg

3) M-suspension + 135 style 18inch wheels make reasonable addition to this car. I was a bit affraid to order M-package equipped car (and yet couldn't resist the temptation but afterall I am very glad, as it was good decision. I would do the same thing again with the next BMW.
Runflat Bridgstone Potenzas are quite a surprise with their reasonable comfort after reading approx. 99% bad opinions about RFT tires... I liked the idea of "flat-running" so for the winter I also put RFTs (this time they're Dunlop Winter Sport M3, in 17inch). OK, ride is a bit harsh on bad roads, but since I drive 85% on a good, flat autobahn, I figured: why not RFTs?

4) Car still looks like new, smells like new, and drives like new I managed to protect her from any parking scratches, passangers smoke, french fries fat on the floor, or spilled Coke at the back seat... Although these days every second car seems to be silver, I am glad about my colour choice as... it never looks dirty, even when it actually is...
Leather is nice and comfortable - much better in terms of quality than in my E39, although a light grey requires some cleaning attention every 2-3 weeks.. Sport seats are superb for sporty, fast cornering, a bit worse than comfort seats I had before, but no pains in my back on long trips which I had in almost every car before

5) I am still a bit upset about the audio - for me standard sucks (sorry...), L7 was a bit pricey and yet not presenting any sound-quality I would expect from such option.
Searching for aftermarket alternatives, I asked few times in few places (even specialized car-audio shops) - and nobody wanted to touch E60 eletronics... Big downside for me, as I drive 130km per day and would enjoy the good sound... To make it even worse: the radio business does not and will never support mp3 playback, so I am stuck with CDs, or plugging mp3 player through factory installed AUX-IN, which is always a pain... Fortunatelly, recently I finally found a professional install audio company in Poland which has both experience with high-end cars + reputation as well as reasonable prices, so I hope my next post here will be about newly installed audio...
For those interested in this subject below you can see their two installations in E60s: Hamann and: AC Schnitzer

6) I hate the need to go into the iDrive to change central-vent temp, it used to be so easy and not distracting in previous models, now I see they're getting back to this old good system completely independent from iDrive (E90, right?).

7) My first service check / oil change was quite a pleasant surprise in terms of costs and time, now the second one is approaching and we'll see....

That's about it...

Oh and I forgot, I put some small add-ons to my car: tinted windows all-over, chrome dual-pipe and roofrack for bikes...
nothing special... just to like my car even better
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My dealer will call me tomorrow and quote for a MY '08 520dA.

It's with the new 177 hp 350 Nm engine and is polluting only 136 g/km (+ the new LCI autogearbox).

The Business model comes with full auto AC, PDC, Xenons, cruise and 17" Style 244 wheels.

Black fabric int (no more leather for me) and Space Grey ext.

Other extras in my mind are Hi-Fi speakers and sport steering wheel.

EcoRR
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Great write-up luxembourg, thank you!

Pleased to hear you are still so happy with your choice. With the exception of a couple of options, we went for a very similar car and also do a lot of driving. Mine's also a little over 1 year old and has now covered over 65000KM, and I have to say I agree with most of what you write above I personally could not hack the RFTs, but comfort is subjective matter.

Shows what speed limits do to your fuel consumption... with all the autobahn driving I do, mine's at around 8,1L/100km! But when cruising through the Netherlands or Belgium, I'm also regularly getting less than 6L/100km. But achieving that 5,7L/100km on a trip like that is pretty dammed impressive

Enjoy plenty more happy KMs....
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='461711' date='Aug 23 2007, 04:54 PM

It's with the new 177 hp 350 Nm engine and is polluting only 136 g/km (+ the new LCI autogearbox).

The Business model comes with full auto AC, PDC, Xenons, cruise and 17" Style 244 wheels.

EcoRR
Sounds good to me, even though I would probably put your 18" 123s on in summer and keep the 244s for winter.

I've heard good things about the new auto in the 520d -- this one is actually meant to return decent fuel economy, which is what you'll need if you're going to call yourself EcoRR now
Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

Nice long term write-up. Got to agree with you about the climate controls, over fiddly and distracting to set when driving. The write up is also good, in as much as the stuff you left out, like you must be happy with oil consumption, performance and servicing costs (inc tyres etc).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='461741' date='Aug 23 2007, 07:06 PM
Sounds good to me, even though I would probably put your 18" 123s on in summer and keep the 244s for winter.
I've heard good things about the new auto in the 520d -- this one is actually meant to return decent fuel economy, which is what you'll need if you're going to call yourself EcoRR now

One plan is to put winter tyres on my current 123's (non RF 235/45 18) and get 166's from here.

It would need the sport suspension for 600 €, tough, and non RF PS2's (maybe 285/30 19 rear).

EcoRR?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='461752' date='Aug 23 2007, 07:18 PM
One plan is to put winter tyres on my current 123's (non RF 235/45 18) and get 166's from here.

It would need the sport suspension for 600 ?, tough, and non RF PS2's (maybe 285/30 19 rear).

EcoRR?

...now that's more like it! If I did not have the M-Sport pack, that's the combo I would go for. The 123s look great and are a LOT easier to keep clean in winter than the M135s or other multi-spoke rims.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d, 2006, steptronic, black sapphire, leather Dakota truffle brown, poplar trim, head-up display , dynamic drive, cruise control, active steering, sports steering wheel, adaptive xenon headlights with headlight washers, high beem assistant, alarm, glass sunroof, comfort seats , advanced A/C, nav professional, voice command, logic 7, cd changer, TV, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding internal mirror, smoking package, fold down rear seats, skibag, “138-style” rims , cup holders, wooden handbrake lever and shifter (poplar), wood on bottom center console, preparation for Bluetooth, comfort access system

Cześć,

55.000 km w rok, dużo czasu muszisz w nim spędzać. Trzymam kciuki za nowy dźwięk w samochodzie. Wiesz już co i jak Ci będą wymieniać w Extreme Car Audio?

Pozdrawiam,

Witek

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='461684' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:53 PM
My E60 (520d, produced 06/2006) within bit over one year passed its first 55.500km (+/- 35,000 miles... so I thought it would be a good time to make some summary on my personal opinion about my car so far.

So, for the starters, the most important thing: reliability and confidence...
It was my first brand new bimmer (previous ones were purchased used, and generally had problems,however I decided to give the brand one more try... and to be honest, I was a bit affraid after reading posts here about certain annoying problems with E60, as well as hearing here and there "God, my bimmer again broke down this morning..."
So far (crossed fingers..) no problems at all: - car drives suberb, no signs of any technical, mechanical or electronical problems, ride is comfortable yet very responsive and sportive, space - more than enough, inside is perfectly fitted... (btw, I just went with my friend to collect his brand new Passat Tdi-170HP and the overall difference in finish-quality of our cars is unbelievable!)
I gotta admit: my E60 is more than I expected... (well, given the cheapest EU engine-version on the pricelist).
OK, there are some disadvantages in this car I can't appreciate, but step by step:

Here are my detailed impressions after 55.500km:

1) I'll start with the most annoying thing... Well, sounds like the engine gets noisier bit by bit over time, but perhaps it's just me, or my ears or confrontation with our second (gasoline-driven = quiet) car..? Well, on the other hand, last week I drove with a friend his new Audi A6, and the difference between noise level in our cars is just incomparable... No wonder they install such a good BOSE audio in Audis - otherwise engine roar would immediately make you stressed that something must be wrong in there...

2) Looks like my diesel consumption stabilized on the final level of 6,5 L/100km on daily city-Stop'n'Go + fast motorway driving, which I find good (specially given price 0,92 EUR/L in Luxembourg...), however on few longer trips (3000-4000km) without too much effort I managed to go down to the unbelievable 5,6-5,7 l/100km, which nobody wants to believe
As a proof see a photo below: I just returned from a long vacation trip (via DE, BE, NL, PL and back), averaging 5,66 L/100km and achieving 1230km on one tank!
Attachment 36655
3) M-suspension + 135 style 18inch wheels make reasonable addition to this car. I was a bit affraid to order M-package equipped car (and yet couldn't resist the temptation but afterall I am very glad, as it was good decision. I would do the same thing again with the next BMW.
Runflat Bridgstone Potenzas are quite a surprise with their reasonable comfort after reading approx. 99% bad opinions about RFT tires... I liked the idea of "flat-running" so for the winter I also put RFTs (this time they're Dunlop Winter Sport M3, in 17inch). OK, ride is a bit harsh on bad roads, but since I drive 85% on a good, flat autobahn, I figured: why not RFTs?

4) Car still looks like new, smells like new, and drives like new I managed to protect her from any parking scratches, passangers smoke, french fries fat on the floor, or spilled Coke at the back seat... Although these days every second car seems to be silver, I am glad about my colour choice as... it never looks dirty, even when it actually is...
Leather is nice and comfortable - much better in terms of quality than in my E39, although a light grey requires some cleaning attention every 2-3 weeks.. Sport seats are superb for sporty, fast cornering, a bit worse than comfort seats I had before, but no pains in my back on long trips which I had in almost every car before

5) I am still a bit upset about the audio - for me standard sucks (sorry...), L7 was a bit pricey and yet not presenting any sound-quality I would expect from such option.
Searching for aftermarket alternatives, I asked few times in few places (even specialized car-audio shops) - and nobody wanted to touch E60 eletronics... Big downside for me, as I drive 130km per day and would enjoy the good sound... To make it even worse: the radio business does not and will never support mp3 playback, so I am stuck with CDs, or plugging mp3 player through factory installed AUX-IN, which is always a pain... Fortunatelly, recently I finally found a professional install audio company in Poland which has both experience with high-end cars + reputation as well as reasonable prices, so I hope my next post here will be about newly installed audio...
For those interested in this subject below you can see their two installations in E60s: Hamann and: AC Schnitzer

6) I hate the need to go into the iDrive to change central-vent temp, it used to be so easy and not distracting in previous models, now I see they're getting back to this old good system completely independent from iDrive (E90, right?).

7) My first service check / oil change was quite a pleasant surprise in terms of costs and time, now the second one is approaching and we'll see....

That's about it...

Oh and I forgot, I put some small add-ons to my car: tinted windows all-over, chrome dual-pipe and roofrack for bikes...
nothing special... just to like my car even better
Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d, 2006, steptronic, black sapphire, leather Dakota truffle brown, poplar trim, head-up display , dynamic drive, cruise control, active steering, sports steering wheel, adaptive xenon headlights with headlight washers, high beem assistant, alarm, glass sunroof, comfort seats , advanced A/C, nav professional, voice command, logic 7, cd changer, TV, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding internal mirror, smoking package, fold down rear seats, skibag, “138-style” rims , cup holders, wooden handbrake lever and shifter (poplar), wood on bottom center console, preparation for Bluetooth, comfort access system

Opps,

Sorry for sending post in wrong language. My intention was to send PM. I wrote that he Luxembourg has to spend a lot of time in the car making 55.000 km within one year. And I keep my fingers crossed for audio upgrade.

regards,

Witek

Originally Posted by Witek_E60' post='466189' date='Sep 5 2007, 10:24 PM
Cześć,

55.000 km w rok, dużo czasu muszisz w nim spędzać. Trzymam kciuki za nowy dźwięk w samochodzie. Wiesz już co i jak Ci będą wymieniać w Extreme Car Audio?

Pozdrawiam,

Witek
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='461711' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:54 PM

EcoRR
Ric, I would add the USB option as well, just for the flexibility it offers for music formats etc.

Quick Reply: 55.500km in my economy 520d :)