E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545iSMG Beat Manual M3s but Not SMG

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading a lot of threads on here asking whether or not a 545i can beat the M3. Two of my co-workers have M3s, one of which is manual and the other which has SMG. After work we decided to disolve the myths and see which was the fastest. I raced the SMG M3 first and he beat me from 0-120 by a car length. We did this three times, and each time I was within a car length. I raced my other co-worker who has the manual M3 and I beat him by a car length or more each time. He's always has driven a stick so he can drive a stick fairly well.

I think even if you put some professional driver behind an M3 manual the 545i might still win or be extremely close. If you read the stats about the SMG tranny you will find that it shifts in milliseconds. With that in mind, I think it is not humanly possible to shift as fast as that. And if you can, you are the man!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 545mcz' date='Sep 3 2004, 07:06 PM
I think even if you put some professional driver behind an M3 manual the 545i might still win or be extremely close. If you read the stats about the SMG tranny you will find that it shifts in milliseconds. With that in mind, I think it is not humanly possible to shift as fast as that. And if you can, you are the man!
If it would be possible, F1 drivers would drive manuals...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributors

Are both of the M3s stock? I believe some of the SMG owners on this board have claimed to be able upshift just as fast with a manual as with their SMG.

Given a good driver, a manual transmission will still give you a better launch.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Members

Is your 545 a SMG, auto or manual?

-----
edited: Never mind. I just read your previous thread. SMG
Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545mcz' date='Sep 3 2004, 11:06 AM
I've been reading a lot of threads on here asking whether or not a 545i can beat the M3. Two of my co-workers have M3s, one of which is manual and the other which has SMG. After work we decided to disolve the myths and see which was the fastest. I raced the SMG M3 first and he beat me from 0-120 by a car length. We did this three times, and each time I was within a car length. I raced my other co-worker who has the manual M3 and I beat him by a car length or more each time. He's always has driven a stick so he can drive a stick fairly well.

if you hold down the brake while you hit the gas and then let go of the brake you will get a better run and maybe beat him
Old 09-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

An M3 with a manual transmission is always faster than one with SMG. You will always get a better launch with the manual tranny than you will with SMG. I am speaking from experience, my last car was an M3, manual, and I had two friends with SMG.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

First of all, with equal drivers, an M3 coupe will dust a 545, whatever transmission. Look at the car magazine test results. The best I've seen for a 545 of any transmission is 0-60 in 5.3, 1/4 mile in 13.7 at 103.7. M3's typically run mid-low 13's at 108 or so trapspeeds. I've seen manual M3 tested in car mag's at 4.6 0-60.

The M3 has slightly more HP, and weighs 400 lbs less - it's pretty simple physics. If you're talking about the M3 convertible, that's a different story, but everyone assumes you're talking about the coupe.

I don't doubt that you have run with some M3's, but don't go around saying the 545 is faster in any form - it isn't.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Members

Stats from http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/, a fairly reliable source:

2003 BMW M3 4.8 13.60
2004 BMW 545i (6-speed man) 5.5 14.10
2004 BMW 545i (Automatic) 5.3 13.80

I couldn't find the stats for the 545i SMG but I am assuming it is as fast if not faster than the Auto.

First of all, with equal drivers, an M3 coupe will dust a 545, whatever transmission.
I don't doubt that you have run with some M3's, but don't go around saying the 545 is faster in any form - it isn't.
Wrong, I have raced 4 times against an M3 manual, and have beat them by roughly a car length each of these times. So until I get "dusted" by an M3 I have to disagree with you, no matter what you've read or stats say. These are *PROFESSIONAL* drivers who are testing these cars with years and years of experience. None of us, can call ourselves professional drivers of manual no matter how long you have been driving stick, or can be considered in the same league, unless you do it for a living.

An M3 with a manual transmission is always faster than one with SMG
Launch yes (I still havent tried launch mode in the 545i), in the long run, no, from my experience so far in my 545, and my other coworker's M3 SMG.

I believe some of the SMG owners on this board have claimed to be able upshift just as fast with a manual as with their SMG.
That is complete crap, and those who have any idea of how cars work, in particular the SMG gearbox, should know that these people are telling some very tall tales. If you do your research you will find that the SMG box shifts in 80 to 100 milliseconds or less, that's TWICE as fast as Ferrari's 360 Modena. You can't even push the damn clutch in 80-100 milliseconds, let alone throw it up into the next gear.

If it would be possible, F1 drivers would drive manuals...?
I agree with Ice .
Look you guys can flame me all you want, tell me I'm full of shit, that I don't know what I'm talking about, or that I'm a straight up liar. Believe what you want, but at LEAST do some research behind the SMG gearbox and what it is capable of. Yes I agree with you that manual provides a better launch off the start (like I said, I still haven't tried the "launch mode" in my 545i SMG). But how can you say that I am wrong when it has been proven to me multiple times when I have raced M3s and when I have seen two M3s, one manual one SMG, go head to head and the manual losing time after time. The published stats(performed by professional drivers) are so incredibly close in 1/4 mile, the shifting speeds of the SMG gearbox being so fast, and the lack of professional drivers behind the wheel you see on the streets that you have to at least consider the possibility of what I am saying to be true.

I hate to get heated over something that I intended to just be an informational post to give you 545 owners a heads up.

Is there no one out there that can back me up on this? With experience or knowledge? Is there even anyone out there who can agree with me at all?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 545mcz' date='Sep 3 2004, 07:06 PM
I think you're right, but I don't have an SMG, nor am I a pro driver. I also didn't race an M3...
But to me you're right!

Is there even anyone out there who can agree with me at all?
That's a YES!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

I assure you that I'm not racing an M3. A 1998 M3 maybe.

Quick Reply: 545iSMG Beat Manual M3s but Not SMG