E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i - weird squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Hi E60 friends, I really need some help here.

I am getting a weird squealing noise coming from the belts. The noise only comes first thing in the morning, after the car has been parked through the night. Once I hit freeway speeds (60 miles / 100 km's) the noise goes away and it doesn't return for the rest of the day. Then, the next morning, there it is again.

Every time I take the car to the dealership, it doesn't make any noise. So, before I took my car out today, I popped the hood and setup my camera to record the noise. The video is pretty dark, but at least you can hear the noise and know the general area of where it is coming from. I am going to show this video to the dealership tomorrow, but in the interim, I also wanted to run it by you guys. Have you ever heard this before? It sounds very similar to the timing belt noise from my old Honda, several cars ago.

A friend of mine says the noise might be caused because of an Engine Shampoo product. They shined up the engine before selling me the car, when I purchased it a month ago.

Please watch my video on YouTube:

Do you guys have any suggestions / comments?

Thanks!
Rishi
Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by Silver_545i' post='669241' date='Sep 14 2008, 04:47 PM
Hi E60 friends, I really need some help here.

I am getting a weird squealing noise coming from the belts. The noise only comes first thing in the morning, after the car has been parked through the night. Once I hit freeway speeds (60 miles / 100 km's) the noise goes away and it doesn't return for the rest of the day. Then, the next morning, there it is again.

Every time I take the car to the dealership, it doesn't make any noise. So, before I took my car out today, I popped the hood and setup my camera to record the noise. The video is pretty dark, but at least you can hear the noise and know the general area of where it is coming from. I am going to show this video to the dealership tomorrow, but in the interim, I also wanted to run it by you guys. Have you ever heard this before? It sounds very similar to the timing belt noise from my old Honda, several cars ago.

A friend of mine says the noise might be caused because of an Engine Shampoo product. They shined up the engine before selling me the car, when I purchased it a month ago.

Please watch my video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2B0_vBmR08

Do you guys have any suggestions / comments?

Thanks!
Rishi

Rishi - I took a look at your video. Its not the same sound as I had when my belts, etc were squeaking. From what I hear, its not that loud, right?
I would recommend you drop your car off in the evening before the dealership closes, and make sure they understand that they need to fire her up in the morning to find the sound. I did that for my belt noise. I had to end up replacing the belt tensioner. I wish I could've been more help man.

z
Old 09-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Originally Posted by za3879' post='669269' date='Sep 14 2008, 05:34 PM
Rishi - I took a look at your video. Its not the same sound as I had when my belts, etc were squeaking. From what I hear, its not that loud, right?
I would recommend you drop your car off in the evening before the dealership closes, and make sure they understand that they need to fire her up in the morning to find the sound. I did that for my belt noise. I had to end up replacing the belt tensioner. I wish I could've been more help man.

z
Appreciate the quick response Z. I was thinking of leaving my car at the dealership overnight. I might have to unless they can figure out what it is fromt he video.

And yes, it's not that loud... but my wife could hear the noise from the back yard... so it does carry and it's really embarassing!

Does the belt tensioner go bad after a while? Do you think it was caused by the Engine Shampoo product?

I'll let you know what the dealership says tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Intermittent chirping that increases in frequency as the engine is revved up can be the result of belt vibration caused by misaligned or bad drive pulleys.

The misalignment noise is generally loudest at idle speed and diminishes with increasing engine rpm, which is what yours sounds like.

With engine idling, shoot some WD40 on the belt...the side which comes in contact with the idlers and pulleys. If sound goes away, maybe just a loose or worn belt. It's probably a worn tension idler, or alternator pulley bearings....which usually cause the morning chirps upon cold starts.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

My car is back at the dealership because this noise is still present. The noise is much lower than before, but there is definite squealing / whistling. I have attached a new short video with the noise - video taken earlier this week.

So far, the dealership has changed the belt tensioner, the actual belt, and the idler pulley. The noise only comes in the morning, after a cold-start. The good news is I am getting all these new parts under warranty. However, I really want this issue fixed.

I have searched the forums and there are multiple threads on weird noises, but most issues with the same noise was due to the tensioner.

My dealership has been really nice and they are going to hold on to my car for a few days to try and figure it out. Do you guys have any other ideas / suggestions?

TIA!

545i_noise.wmv
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Change your belt and AC belt...

it should be gone...

mine got the exact same problem... after i change it myself and its gone...

the sound will be gone after you drive it for 10-20 mins?

-James
Hope it helps bro

PS - i did call the dealer and.... they say they need to investigate and.. such such.. just to do that labour about more than 300++ and have not done anything.. then i decide to do my self.. and TA DA !! it works!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

Thanks chhay24. I have changed the belt, but not the AC belt. The dealership has already covered all the expenses thus far, and are going to continue to support me - so that's a great news for me!

Any other ideas guys on this squealing noise?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Silver_545i' post='821028' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks chhay24. I have changed the belt, but not the AC belt. The dealership has already covered all the expenses thus far, and are going to continue to support me - so that's a great news for me!

Any other ideas guys on this squealing noise?

hi i think your car water pump need to changing , noise u hear is in side waterpump got round paddle, and ruber ,so when this rubber goes
you can hear round paddle noise spins lose in side waterpump
water dont leak out ,waterpump got 2seals
Old 03-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turkishisland' post='824000' date='Mar 22 2009, 05:20 PM
hi i think your car water pump need to changing , noise u hear is in side waterpump got round paddle, and ruber ,so when this rubber goes
you can hear round paddle noise spins lose in side waterpump
water dont leak out ,waterpump got 2seals
please can you pour a water on v belt to see if noise stops, if does then your startmotor bushes gone,check this first