E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Transmisson/ SLAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire, BLK Anthracite. STEPTRONIC, NAV, Cold wthr Pack., Logic 7, Style 116, Bluetooth, Moto v710, CIP 18.x

Originally Posted by geobmw' date='May 25 2005, 03:38 PM
I do not know is it the same transmission problem or not but it happened twice to me and in exactly same situation. I was making 90 degree left turn to the parking lot which was located on the hill and I slightly pushed the gas pedal,? the car jerked and I've heard a loud slam like I was rear ended.
My speed was less than 5 mph and I was driving in D mode. It never happened at any other speed. I have no idea what software version I have, the car was built on 04/05/05, delivered on 05/03/05.
Other then that, the car is absolutely superb .
[snapback]133163[/snapback]
I bought my 2005 545i w/ steptronic last weekend. The first time it happened I was slowly turning on to my street and I thought someone rearended me. Happened again the next day pulling into a parking spot. Hasn't happened in 3 days now. Man, what do I tell the dealer so they know what is happening to me? Is this a 2005 only problem? Does a software update help this? HELP
How do I tell which software version I have?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by pitpro' date='May 25 2005, 10:20 PM
[quote name='geobmw' date='May 25 2005, 03:38 PM']I do not know is it the same transmission problem or not but it happened twice to me and in exactly same situation. I was making 90 degree left turn to the parking lot which was located on the hill and I slightly pushed the gas pedal,? the car jerked and I've heard a loud slam like I was rear ended.
My speed was less than 5 mph and I was driving in D mode. It never happened at any other speed. I have no idea what software version I have, the car was built on 04/05/05, delivered on 05/03/05.
I bought my 2005 545i w/ steptronic last weekend. The first time it happened I was slowly turning on to my street and I thought someone rearended me. Happened again the next day pulling into a parking spot. Hasn't happened in 3 days now. Man, what do I tell the dealer so they know what is happening to me? Is this a 2005 only problem? Does a software update help this? HELP
[snapback]133248[/snapback]
[/quote]

Unless the dealership can recreate the problem, they won't do anything. I'm afraid it is going to take legal action to get them to take this seriously. My dealership kept the car for two days trying to get the problem to occur and they couldn't. Then, I got the car back with an invoice basically saying the car worked perfectly and "perhaps the driver is feeling the torque of the very powerful V8".
Old 05-26-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' date='May 25 2005, 11:24 PM
[quote name='pitpro' date='May 25 2005, 10:20 PM'][quote name='geobmw' date='May 25 2005, 03:38 PM']I do not know is it the same transmission problem or not but it happened twice to me and in exactly same situation. I was making 90 degree left turn to the parking lot which was located on the hill and I slightly pushed the gas pedal,? the car jerked and I've heard a loud slam like I was rear ended.
[snapback]133248[/snapback]
[/quote]

Unless the dealership can recreate the problem, they won't do anything. I'm afraid it is going to take legal action to get them to take this seriously. My dealership kept the car for two days trying to get the problem to occur and they couldn't. Then, I got the car back with an invoice basically saying the car worked perfectly and "perhaps the driver is feeling the torque of the very powerful V8".
[snapback]133250[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is true, we have to find the way to reproduce the problem otherwise it is just a waste of time. I have been making same maneuvers about 30 times since I bought the car and it happened only twice. Could not find the pattern yet.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I was fortunate enought to make it happen for the shop foreman using this technique (and can reproduce fairly consistently):

Start in 2nd gear withs revs in mid range, down shift to 1st so revs jump toward redline. After 3 -4 second, take your foot off the gas completely so the revs drop quickly. As revs approach 200 or so - slam. May be coincidence, but the slam happens more frequently if I am facing downhill when I do all this.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Members

Car in the shop again, with this slam issue and other stuff. BMW called me for survey I was honest and said service stinks, the dealer took my car in immediatly and loaner car given this morning

I know nothing will get fixed but the more service attempts the more leverage we will have fighting this.

Hey Rob my tranny slams when I leave my home going down the hill

I do notice it only does it when I lightly hit the throttle

Also its not the gearbox we are feeling it is the differential, somehow this is a problem along the driveline sychronization
Old 05-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I learned quite a bit about the lemon law while I had a Mercedes ML320. If you take the car in for the same problem 3 times, and the dealer fails to fix the issue, in California, you qualify for a lemon law return of the car. You have to very careful when you pick up the car that the documentation descibes the problem consistently. Keep your paperwork as well. Car manufacturers definately sit up and take notice when you are in a lemon law situation, and this problem sounds like a good candidate because it is safety related.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire, BLK Anthracite. STEPTRONIC, NAV, Cold wthr Pack., Logic 7, Style 116, Bluetooth, Moto v710, CIP 18.x

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 25 2005, 02:40 PM
I fear the only way we're going to get traction on this issue is to find a way to reliably reproduce it. To that end, let's all list what we were doing in the moments before it happened. It has happened to me once so far, pre-16.2. I have the steptronic. I was in DS mode, I think. I was going about 35 on a freeway onramp and had just come out of a curve. I was just stepping on the accelerator intending to speed up when it happened.
[snapback]133133[/snapback]
How can I tell which software version I have car is '05 made 09/04.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:21 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='May 16 2005, 08:38 AM
I see many have this issue, would anyone want to get together and then approach BMW NA with this concern?

i think this is a good start the more driver the better and being this is a global forum this will prove to BMW this problem exist throughout production.

I have some ideas, PM or post here on how to proceed
[snapback]129181[/snapback]
I have had it happen only once in about three weeks of driving -- it happened a day after the software had been updated to 16.2. I am wondering if the s/w update timing has anything to do with it and that it goes away after the "adaptive" mode of the steptronic has had time to "learn" the driving style.

Anyways, count me in on anything that you pursue.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

I wonder if a class-action lawsuit is possible... probably not unless we actually find people who've gotten into accidents because of this issue. And we need to nail down the reproducibility problem.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 26 2005, 11:03 PM
I wonder if a class-action lawsuit is possible... probably not unless we actually find people who've gotten into accidents because of this issue. And we need to nail down the reproducibility problem.
[snapback]133646[/snapback]
I dont like those... End users get no benefit out of it. then EVERYONE and their mothers would come out and complain that they have transmission SLAM since they hear money money money... unelss you can regulate the class action suit to those existing customers who have ALREADY reported to BMW about their problem BMW will be in more hurt then I would prefer to see them in and I wouldnt get much out of it and neither would anyone else here.

These kinds of suits only benefit lawyers and nothing else... there HAS to be some other way to convince BMW to expidate the "FIX" of this transmission slam.

Lets write a letter " a formal letter " snail mail and e-mail to BMW NA and we'll send it out to them. Someone can type out a templete expressing the problem, the concern, and ask what would be done for us.

And then with the templete each of us will personally add in our name, contact and VIN and we'll pick a day and mail it out to BMW NA in Jersey. They'll surely be a little concerned if we indicate that we'll take further legal action if nothing is done. BMW NA receiving 20 30 letters from their pretty high almost top of the line 5 series cars (at the moment) might give them some incentive to help us. Surely we would later buy more BMWs and word of mouth advertising goes a long way.

Quick Reply: 545i Transmisson/ SLAM