E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Transmisson/ SLAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Is everyone w/ the 16.2 upgrade and a 545i experiencing this issue? I'm begining to worry now since my car is in for a computer update. Mine has never done this but I think I'm still on the older version software.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

As i posted in a new thread yesterday, I have the slam issue. I have an SMG so I am not sure if it is the same casue or just the same result. I had the problem both before and after my 16.2 update. The dealer thought 16.2 would correct it, but it did not. i returned to thedealership and was abale to "slam" for the shop foreman.

The foreman emailed Germany (PUMA case) and I am getting a new transmission -expected arrival in 2 weeks.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

If anyone is keeping a running list of members who are interested in this topic, please include me.

I have a 545i on order due in late June. I contacted my sales person at Mountain View BMW and he claims that the slamming isn't nearly as severe as people say, that BMW is aware of the issue and that the new software upgrade has solved the problem.

Not sure what to believe right now.... but its hard to believe they've nailed the problem give all the comments above. Jeez, this reminds of the Audi 5000 problems in the mid-80's.

I don't know if you've seen this, but the Toyota Prisus is having a problem where the car complete dies when it reaches highway speeds and they can't figure out what is going on. It was in the national newspapers two weeks ago and is getting a lot of chatter on edmunds.com. Hopefully this e60 problem isn't going to get the same attention and they can resolve it quickly- but good grief-- the poll last week showed 42% of owners have had the problem-- scary.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

I not 100% sure how software could fix a teansmition problem. I understand that it can fix certian characteristics, but if there is an actual problem with the transmition software couldn't fix it.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='May 25 2005, 10:01 AM
If anyone is keeping a running list of members who are interested in this topic, please include me.

I have a 545i on order due in late June.? I contacted my sales person at Mountain View BMW and he claims that the slamming isn't nearly as severe as people say, that BMW is aware of the issue and that the new software upgrade has solved the problem.?

Not sure what to believe right now.... but its hard to believe they've nailed the problem give all the comments above.? Jeez, this reminds of the Audi 5000 problems in the mid-80's.

I don't know if you've seen this, but the Toyota Prisus is having a problem where the car complete dies when it reaches highway speeds and they can't figure out what is going on.? It was in the national newspapers two weeks ago and is getting a lot of chatter on edmunds.com.? Hopefully this e60 problem isn't going to get the same attention and they can resolve it quickly-? but good grief-- the poll last week showed 42% of owners have had the problem-- scary.
[snapback]133059[/snapback]
1) The issue is every bit as severe as people say. Just think how much fun the car will be to drive when you are worried at every stop sign that your car may lunge into the intersection with the velocity of being rear-ended at moderate speed.

2) According to my dealership, BMWNA doesn't have any info about this problem existing.

3) I was told just this morning that my car was already updated to all of the latest software, so my dealership says nothing more can be done until a new software version is released in the future.

I would highly recommend taking your new car for a week long trial before you purchase -- this problem is not "minor", and if you end up lunging into a bicycle rider I doubt they will think it's minor either.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I had the issue with my SMG but with 16.x upgrade I'm not sure if it was 16.2 or 16.1 but so far (it has been 6 days now) it has been working fine.

zippers525: Software "CAN" fix theses problems... I dont know exactlly how but I think it can... this isnt just with this car but with my MINI there was some stumbling issues also and software cured it.

Hopfully the 545 will stay fixed. I will continue to monitor the car.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

I fear the only way we're going to get traction on this issue is to find a way to reliably reproduce it. To that end, let's all list what we were doing in the moments before it happened. It has happened to me once so far, pre-16.2. I have the steptronic. I was in DS mode, I think. I was going about 35 on a freeway onramp and had just come out of a curve. I was just stepping on the accelerator intending to speed up when it happened.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

EBMCS03

Did your slams occur only in 1st or in all gears? Mine were limited to times the SMG would "shift" out of first to prevent stalling - in first as revs were falling fast.

Also, my slams seemed more common if I am heading down hill.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

I do not know is it the same transmission problem or not but it happened twice to me and in exactly same situation. I was making 90 degree left turn to the parking lot which was located on the hill and I slightly pushed the gas pedal, the car jerked and I've heard a loud slam like I was rear ended.
My speed was less than 5 mph and I was driving in D mode. It never happened at any other speed. I have no idea what software version I have, the car was built on 04/05/05, delivered on 05/03/05.
Other then that, the car is absolutely superb .
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by robg' date='May 25 2005, 12:15 PM
EBMCS03

Did your slams occur only in 1st or in all gears?? Mine were limited to times the SMG would "shift" out of first to? prevent stalling - in first as revs were falling fast.

Also, my slams seemed more? common if I am heading down hill.
[snapback]133152[/snapback]
Mine occured mostly in 3rd to 2nd downshifts in auto mode when the car decides it needs to downshift and then I gas it again it would bang really hard into second and change itself into M2. its EXACTLLY what the TIS bulletin says... but for now it seems ok.

Other times were like others... slowing down to a stopsign and then going again it would bang into first...

Quick Reply: 545i Transmisson/ SLAM