E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Suspension vs. other problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've had my 545 for almost 3 months now, I still need to post pics, which I will! I know I have been remiss!

The car has been problem free other than both O-rings being damaged on delivery, causing the refrigerant to leak twice. Since replacement, the A/C has been excellent.

Here is my current problem: several days ago, I was driving along at approx. 30mph, in a slight turn, and suddenly I heard a horrible noise from the front of the car that sounded like I hit a crater of a pothole, yet there was absolutely no road damage or hazard (I went back and painstakingly searched twice). Completely spontaneous. Thereafter, I immediately noticed a continuous moderately loud humming sound, especially at 30-40 mph, as well as a vibration in the steering wheel. In addition, there was an intermittent shimmy in the wheel. The problems were pronounced enough for my fiance to easily notice. Acceleration and handling were otherwise seemingly unaffected.

The car was at service today (JMK BMW, Springfield N.J.), and I was told that nothing was wrong except for them noting that the brake sensor was off center. This reportedly was fixed. I told them that I found it hard to believe that this represented all of the aforementioned problems. Sure enough, I drive it away, and no change. I will be going out with one of the foremen tomorrow.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? They claim that they inspected the entire suspension, and found nothing (non-sport package, otherwise just about every other option). Did they miss something? The tires? Possibly the transmission? Anyone experience anything similar?

This forum is an unbelievable resource and I very much appreciate member's responses in advance.