E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i squeaking loud at morning first startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i
Default 545i squeaking loud at morning first startup

Here's a video of the exact noise I have

I sprayed some lube on the tensioner pulley and the noise goes away but comes right back within a minute. I replaced both belts a few months ago so I know it isn't the belts. It seems to be the tensioner pulley. Do they sell just the tensioner pulley by itself or do I have to buy the whole tensioner. I found an idler pulley for sale but am not sure if its the right one. Can anyone confirm it?

Here is the part
BMW 545i Accessory Belt Idler Pulley - Free Shipping - Replacement, Dayco
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

I would replace belt idler pulley and the tensioner assembly

Go to http://www.autohausaz.com and look for:

11281440237 and 11287542680

How many miles on the car? If you are around 100k or more - You may want to replace water pump also

Last edited by dawid_w; 03-06-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yea I have 117,000 and owned it for two years. Bought It about 97,000 miles. Not sure if water pump was done. But I totaled all the parts along with a new thermostat and coolant pipe. It's $295 so I'm just gonna do it all for a piece of mind. The water pump doesn't come with a pulley though. Should I get that also or no. Being it doesn't have a bearing like the idler pulley.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

I had a similar noise on my old 545i, turned out to be my harmonic balancer, mechinic said I was lucky I couldve tore up the crankshaft
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I just replaced the water pump on my '04 545i after 114k miles. No noise, just started leaking badly. You dont need to replace the water pump pulley, just unbolt it and transfer to the new pump. Just remember that you have to remove the vibration dampner pulley in order to remove the water pump. This means the "stretchy" A/C belt needs to come off as well (a PITA). So, be prepared for that. I also recommend you replace the rubber coated transfer pipe from the pump to valley pan...only costs about $20.

Most likely, the belt tensioner or idler pulley are the source of your noise as you surmise. Go ahead and replace the noisey one or both. I recently replaced the idler pulley on my sons E46 and believe it or not, I found the pulley at AutoZone manufactured by Dayco. Spitting image of the OE pulley. Not sure if the pulley on the 545i is the same, but I bet it is.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
Yea I have 117,000 and owned it for two years. Bought It about 97,000 miles. Not sure if water pump was done. But I totaled all the parts along with a new thermostat and coolant pipe. It's $295 so I'm just gonna do it all for a piece of mind. The water pump doesn't come with a pulley though. Should I get that also or no. Being it doesn't have a bearing like the idler pulley.
Get the water pump pulley. They are plastic and very easy to break when taking the old one off
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I'd just replace the car...

problem fixed

Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Just bought a water pump, tensioner, idler pulley , thermostat and the coolant pipe. Spent $295 on everything. Doing it all tomorrow. And I know about the ac belt because I already changed both belts and ended up buying that little tool for the belt. Without the tool it seemed impossible.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by healthservices
I'd just replace the car...

problem fixed

I'M gonna take this advice LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
Just bought a water pump, tensioner, idler pulley , thermostat and the coolant pipe. Spent $295 on everything. Doing it all tomorrow. And I know about the ac belt because I already changed both belts and ended up buying that little tool for the belt. Without the tool it seemed impossible.
Ya, that AC belt is a biatch - pretty much impossible without the tool. However, member HeathServices has a post on how to make one yourself using a clamp from Harbor Freight Tools. Worked like a charm!

Quick Reply: 545i squeaking loud at morning first startup