E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i Sport / Premature Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car has only 5700 miles, and its an auto, the rear tires are almost down to the limits.

The fronts are ok except one has a bubble starting to develop.

I confroted the Service Manager because car is going in again for smelly AC from the vents and steering clunk.

He said he will call BMW and open up a PUMA case on this, he said there is no reason for the tires to be that worn in so little time.

Anyone hear of this?

I know there was mention of tires making noise and some got dealers to replce, what should I do here?

If I retire any suggestions, if it cost me $3,000 per year for 2 sets plus labor for rubber this car is worthless to me.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya read about it here before... inner side of the tires worn to the limits. BMW will replace them. What month and year build is your car?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Are they worn evenly or just the insides? Is the tire pressure good? Do you light them up alot.

At 9k, mine where 60% used and I don't spin them too much. Alot of highway driving - which I thought was really poor wear. Mine are noisy and I have a replacement set on order - still waiting. So since 9k miles and 12.5k I have been a little harder on them, but I am still at 25% left.

It seems that my wear is pretty even - which I am surprised about.

These tires are really soft and unless you are really letting loose, I would think there is either a problem with the tire or alignment.

I thought getting 15k miles out of a set of tires was bad.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 4 2005, 08:29 AM
Are they worn evenly or just the insides?? Is the tire pressure good?? Do you light them up alot.

At 9k, mine where 60% used and I don't spin them too much.? Alot of highway driving - which I thought was really poor wear.? Mine are noisy and I have a replacement set on order - still waiting.? So since 9k miles and 12.5k I have been a little harder on them, but I am still at 25% left.

It seems that my wear is pretty even - which I am surprised about.

These tires are really soft and unless you are really letting loose, I would think there is either a problem with the tire or alignment.

I thought getting 15k miles out of a set of tires was bad.

I think the dealer should check out the alignment settings.? If they give you a hard time, then complain about the noise.

[snapback]123907[/snapback]
Old 05-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Members

Thanks fo the replies guys now I never did one single burnout with the car, I rarely even shift into 1st gear. Car is Steptronic

Car has 5900 miles on it and the tires are shot

Tire pressure is fine I check every other day, alignment is fine.

the rears are worn heavily in the middle and towards the inside area.

I never had such poor tire wear and I had cars with more power and manual gearobes that I would kill and they would last longer, this is ridiculous

Must be something that BMW will pay for new tires for some of us, I will push for it.

I wont settle for 50% unless they foot the bill when I buy from the Tire Rack because them paying 50% of the dealers retail price is saving me nothing, My friend can retire my car with OEM DUnlops at his cost for like $1189 including shipping so thats worth a savings, if they would pay 1/2 Id go for it but I dont think they will let me buy from an outside vendor, or can i?

Do you guys think this is easily accomplished or do I have to waste time with 100 phone calls, letters and arguments because I really dont have the patience for that these days.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='May 4 2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks fo the replies guys now I never did one single burnout with the car, I rarely even shift into 1st gear. Car is Steptronic

Car has 5900 miles on it and the tires are shot

Tire pressure is fine I check every other day, alignment is fine.

the rears are worn heavily in the middle and towards the inside area.

I never had such poor tire wear and I had cars with more power and manual gearobes that I would kill and they would last longer, this is ridiculous

Must be something that BMW will pay for new tires for some of us, I will push for it.

I wont settle for 50% unless they foot the bill when I buy from the Tire Rack because them paying 50% of the dealers retail price is saving me nothing, My friend can retire my car with OEM DUnlops at his cost for like $1189 including shipping so thats worth a savings, if they would pay 1/2 Id go for it but I dont think they will let me buy from an outside vendor, or can i?

Do you guys think this is easily accomplished or do I have to waste time with 100 phone calls, letters and arguments because I really dont have the patience for that these days.
[snapback]124191[/snapback]
Any repectable BMW dealership will swap those out for you without much a do. My dealer changed mine at 11,000 miles (I showed them to him at 9500miles) i did not make a single call to BMWNA, Dunlop or anyone. Just done.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='May 3 2005, 10:18 PM
Car has only 5700 miles, and its an auto, the rear tires are almost down to the limits.

The fronts are ok except one has a bubble starting to develop.

I confroted the Service Manager because car is going in again for smelly AC from the vents and steering clunk.

He said he will call BMW and open up a PUMA case on this, he said there is no reason for the tires to be that worn in so little time.

Anyone hear of this?

I know there was mention of tires making noise and some got dealers to replce, what should I do here?

If I retire any suggestions, if it cost me $3,000 per year for 2 sets plus labor for rubber this car is worthless to me.
[snapback]123674[/snapback]
Old 05-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Members

I have a 545 with 7500K with the dulops. I took the car last week and spoke with the service manager I Stated the problem with road noise and the tires cupping
Soooo the puma test was done and bmw approved tire replacement. It's my understanding the replacement tires will be bfg run flats. It took one day for the test and 1/2 a day for the reply. I also dont have to pay a dime. My local dealer is BMW of Bakersfield