E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i - Retro NAV Install Complete (almost)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Icy: Yes, I had more time to play around with the settings today in the car. I actually am getting the feel of it now. I guess because it seemed like a major change yesterday when I got the car back, it was a little weird not being able to use things I was familiar with --- like the two custom steering wheel buttons.

As far as the manual goes, it did guide me a little but so many things are not working (e.g. previously mentioned steering wheel buttons that are supposed to allow you to have voice direction don't work, etc.) that it felt more like flying by the seat of my pants! I ended up just playing around with it.

Having said that, much better today with some time to play with it... I simply love the SPLIT screen... great use of the real estate space on the monitor. Those of you with factory NAV probably like that already. Also, the ability to zoom in and out of the NAV maps by turning the iDrive controller - having used the Mercedes NAV system in our ML55 for the last two years, BMW really put alot more into their NAV system.

So, to stop being long winded, it's definitely a change for the better; I would not go back now even dealing with the pain of looking at trashed out trim on the dash; and it is pain - I LOVE MY E60.

GotBMW: As NickP pointed out, it will say it on your window sticker. On mine it was right above SAT Radio Preparation. Which I hope some software update in the future allows those of us that want it to get it retro'd.

Later, Spudz
Old 06-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GotBMW' date='Jun 22 2004, 05:45 AM
how would you knnow if your vehicle is pre-wired for the NAV retro-fit???
If I remember correctly, E60's manufactured in NOV and DEC 2003 had the NAV Prep. The ones before NOV did not have it because it was not ready, and the ones after DEC do not have it because as of January 2004 production NAV has been available as a factory installed option (no need for prewiring).

rodybmw
Old 06-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Members

The reason I am asking is my vehicle is January 04 production. When you look at the numbers is really isn't that much more to have it retrofitted as long as there is not a lot of software problems. So I was trying to figure out if this would be a possibility for me if I decided I wanted to do it.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:04 AM
Contributors

You can probably give the service or parts department your VIN and they should be able to tell you if it is possible.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jun 23 2004, 03:46 AM
[quote name='GotBMW' date='Jun 22 2004, 05:45 AM']how would you knnow if your vehicle is pre-wired for the NAV retro-fit???
If I remember correctly, E60's manufactured in NOV and DEC 2003 had the NAV Prep. The ones before NOV did not have it because it was not ready, and the ones after DEC do not have it because as of January 2004 production NAV has been available as a factory installed option (no need for prewiring).

rodybmw [/quote]
I've seen Feb builds with Nav Prep...