E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i - Retro NAV Install Complete (almost)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!
Brand new here but glad I found the Forum... really great insight and info from all of you.

I took delivery of my 545i on New Year's Eve (12/31/2003). I have had similar software issues like some other people on the Forum... the biggest one is the "Check Emissions" warning and "Service Engine Soon" light coming on for no apparent reason. But overall, the car is fantastic and I don't really mind a little "new model year issues". I believe I now have software version 11.3.

Anyway, I dropped the car in last Tuesday (06/15/2004) to have the DVD-NAV system retro fitted. I was told this is only the SECOND retro fit nationwide because of the lack of availability of the parts but who knows for sure.

Got it back today, not quite complete unfortunately. Missing a piece of trim from around the DVD slot (see picture). They expect the replacement trim in about 7-10 days.

Here's the differences I see so far from about 20-30 minutes in the car (apart from the new, larger screen of course)...

1) iDrive Controller --- Now shows resistance when I reach the end of a menu scroll. Before the controller would simply continue to turn.

2) I no longer have the option to select what the customizable steering wheel buttons are. Only the "STAR" button is selectable with no option to change the "DIAMOND". This is disappointing as I used both buttons frequently before.

3) Significant software changes - alot of items are moved around, gone or replaced.

4) No Voice Command at all; which I believe the NAV system was supposed to bring with it.

5) No NAV voice for directions (Yes, it is selected in the options for voice directions).

Only other gripes are I have is no one at the dealer seems to know confidently how to work this thing! Can you believe that??? Finally, the anthracite trim is pulled away also from the dash just a little bit.

Obviously I will be back at the dealer soon for the replacement trim and will take up all my points then.

LATER!
Attached Thumbnails 545i - Retro NAV Install Complete (almost)-dscn1457.jpg  
Old 06-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Members

You are the first person in the US I've seen post that they are getting the retrofit. I think BMW definetly has some work to do in training their service technicians on all the new technology. Thanks for your post and please let us know how the progress of the install goes. BTW, could you ask your dealer when they think all BMW dealers will have stock and be able to do Nav retros.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

how much did u pay for the nav retro?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
I_Want_Nav

Does your car has Nav preparation?
Please post pricing and how many days did it take?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Howdy; Thanks for posting here with your info. It does help others quite a bit.

- Did you have Logic7 (it affects the nav voice on a retro)? Francois or others could pipe in how the hookup of the nav voice is done.
- Did the dealer take you to 11.3 Version? This should allow for voice commands. Ensure the dealer speaks to BMW NA's tech's on getting voice commands to work.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Guest_GotBMW

SamSpudz: Where in Chicago are you? What dealer do you go to have this done? How much it is cost you? I am thinking of doing this but am afraid of major problems appearing after retro-fit.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Members

Guest_GotBMW: Northwest suburbs... I went to Motorwerks in Barrington where I purchased the car. The cost is still a bit in the air as they have not charged me yet... They owe me $900 for the SAT Radio that I paid for but will not work with NAV as you know. The last price they gave me was approx. $1200-1400 plus that $900. I will squabble a bit though because of the long wait and the incomplete job.

NickP: Thank you! I will double check on the 11.3 with them. But as you point out, I do have Logic 7.

I_Want_Nav: Yes, the car had factory NAV prep work done. Again, do not have a complete price yet. Looks like a few hundred dollars more than factory price of $1800.00. I left the car in on Tuesday and picked up today, Monday. However they had a problem with the trim as you saw in the picture. Looks like they simply broke it. They have the trim ordered and expect it in 7-10 days from last Friday.

Ed520: Please stand by and I will provide that in a future post - did not get charged by the dealer yet because of the bad job so far.

Final point - according to the dealer, they had to cash in a favor from BMW directly to get the NAV system. Now, I know that could be a "sales spin" but they are firmly stating that only 2 retro NAV systems have been done in the US due to lack of parts so it might be true.

I will drop back a note on this thread with the cost as soon as I have it as well as an update on the other issues if any.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by SamSpudz' date='Jun 21 2004, 03:11 PM
3) Significant software changes - alot of items are moved around, gone or replaced.
SamSpudz,

Glad you're making progress. Hope your dealer fixes you up.

Regarding the various software items that have moved, disappeared or replaced, do these differ greatly from basic functionality? Do they differ greatly from the manual? What's your overall impression--change for the better or worse?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:45 AM
Members

how would you knnow if your vehicle is pre-wired for the NAV retro-fit??
Old 06-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Nav retro pre-wiring was mentioned on the sticker of the newer cars in the US that have it (at least the last time I was at the dealer).

Quick Reply: 545i - Retro NAV Install Complete (almost)