E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i performace upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I'm new to this site but I recently purchased a 2005 545i and I'm looking for ways to make it faster. I've already put in a AFE CAI Stage 2 and aside from the obvious dual-exhaust kit what else is there to do? I mean, I know I could put in a turbo, etc but within reason what else do you guys recommend to make it faster? I see a lot of you have a "Sprint Booster" listed as one of your engine mods... what is that and what does it do specifically? Thanks for any advice you guys can give me...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

to the forum and congrats on your new toy. Enjoy the V8. I am sure other members/vendors will chime in soon for engine upgrades. Happy modding and motoring

Be cautious of members that suggest taking out your floor mats or driving naked to your car go faster...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Hi and welcome to the 545i club.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to give a naturally aspirated (non-turbo'd) car to make it faster and on top of that the 545i doesn't have that many mods. On my car I have the AFE intake which did yield some performance. CAI will give you the most $/hp ratio IMHO.

The Sprint Booster doesn't actually increase hp/tq. It connects to your gas pedal and just increases throttle response but it certainly does give the impression that your car is faster.

There are ECU upgrades for our car. The one I have is Speed Innovation but I can't really tell if there is much of a gain.

You can go for an exhaust but the ones that make a difference will be costly. Most people change the exhaust to have a different exhaust note.

Oh if you want to go ALOT faster than forced induction (turbo) is the way to go but that's $$$.

Hope that answered your questions.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='656738' date='Aug 28 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm new to this site but I recently purchased a 2005 545i and I'm looking for ways to make it faster. I've already put in a AFE CAI Stage 2 and aside from the obvious dual-exhaust kit what else is there to do? I mean, I know I could put in a turbo, etc but within reason what else do you guys recommend to make it faster? I see a lot of you have a "Sprint Booster" listed as one of your engine mods... what is that and what does it do specifically? Thanks for any advice you guys can give me...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Contributors

Thanks Michael for the response... that's pretty much that I thought. A turbo would pretty much be needed... I don't wanna mess with my car's ECU so no chips or anything like that. I'll definitely put in the exhaust next but I was just wondering what's there to do after that... the bulk of the mod's out there are for the 6-cyl e60's... if anyone has any other input that would be greatly appreciated but for now I guess I'll draw the line at the dual cat-back... also, everyone here is right... the most expensive part of owning a BMW is all the $$$ you spend on the after-market upgrades
Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Former Vendor

No problem. If I had to cash and not afraid of the noise this is what I'd do:

aFe intake (it's not cold air)
sprint booster
exhaust removing all CATs
headers

call it a day. the one thing about our cars not having that many mods is at least we don't spend THAT much.

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='656746' date='Aug 28 2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks Michael for the response... that's pretty much that I thought. A turbo would pretty much be needed... I don't wanna mess with my car's ECU so no chips or anything like that. I'll definitely put in the exhaust next but I was just wondering what's there to do after that... the bulk of the mod's out there are for the 6-cyl e60's... if anyone has any other input that would be greatly appreciated but for now I guess I'll draw the line at the dual cat-back... also, everyone here is right... the most expensive part of owning a BMW is all the $$$ you spend on the after-market upgrades
Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='656750' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:34 PM
No problem. If I had to cash and not afraid of the noise this is what I'd do:

aFe intake (it's not cold air)
sprint booster
exhaust removing all CATs
headers

call it a day. the one thing about our cars not having that many mods is at least we don't spend THAT much.

Will aftermarket headers really improve acceleration? I don't just want to beat these punk ass yuppies in their G35's and 3-series and C-classes... I wanna embarrass them... I'm definitely going to take your advice on the after market exhaust!! As for the turbo, do you know where I can purchase one? Just for future reference...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Former Vendor

No clue I"m afraid I'd be too tempted..

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='656754' date='Aug 28 2008, 05:40 PM
Will aftermarket headers really improve acceleration? I don't just want to beat these punk ass yuppies in their G35's and 3-series and C-classes... I wanna embarrass them... I'm definitely going to take your advice on the after market exhaust!! As for the turbo, do you know where I can purchase one? Just for future reference...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='656755' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:41 PM
No clue I"m afraid I'd be too tempted..

One last question man, is there any particular type of exhaust that you recommend for max hp increases? Should I just get whatever looks good from e-bay?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor

NO eBAY for EXHAUST. I couldn't help you pick a brand though since I don't believe the differences in power is that great that it makes a difference. There is Remus, Magnaflow, B&B, etc.

Michael

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='656758' date='Aug 28 2008, 05:45 PM
One last question man, is there any particular type of exhaust that you recommend for max hp increases? Should I just get whatever looks good from e-bay?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the new (to you) car and enjoy the forums!!

Quick Reply: 545i performace upgrades