E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau
Default 545i oil cooler

Came across an attachment in the following thread which indicates that some N62 4.4 were available with an oil cooler for use in "hot countries" (see diag on page 43 & more on page 52 of pdf)

All you ever wanted to know about N62 Engine - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

searching in this forum, I found the following thread which seems to confirm a "Gulf" version which includes the oil cooler

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...ossible-74896/

and thankfully provides a part number 11427520214

however searching through RealOEM, only the X5 4.4 can be found, all the rest apply to the 4.8 version which seems to be the same part.

RealOEM.com Part Cross-reference

Just wondering if anyone has done the mod (this part or other aftermarket) and any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

I believe the 4.4 545i has the setup for a oil cooler but it was never added to that motor. The 550i 4.8 has the oil cooler and this was one of the improvements that was done to the 4.8 over the 4.4
Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

You'll need the 550 alternator bracket, oil thermostat, lines, cooler.

Don't mind the large cup in the picture. They show the 7-series alt bracket with water cooled alternator. But that's the oil thermostat.

550 alt bracket. You can see the 2 holes where the oil thermo bolts up. You cant use the 545i bracket because the holes are blocked off.

Oil cooler and lines. Not to sure how the cooler will bolt up on a 545i. I'm sure there's some sort of tabs on either the radiator or condenser that this will just slide into or bolt onto.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Members

Mike appreciate the guidance! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Yep, it is the oil cooler provision the N62 that has caused so many of us to have to replace the profile gasket under the alternator bracket. That is why it is there. The alternator bracket is simply acts as a blank-off plate when NOT fitted with an oil cooler.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Members

Hmmm; pricey! But seems doable and my car has low enough miles to make it worthwhile (& she's a keeper anyway). If I understand correctly David, seems like I'll avoid a common failure point with the mod.

I'm guessing I'll have to find a good indy to tackle the job. Still wondering if anybody has done the mod?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I would NOT do this mod unless you are gearing up for more oill leak problems. For me, that would just create a series of ADDITIONAL multiple points of failure.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I would NOT do this mod unless you are gearing up for more oill leak problems. For me, that would just create a series of ADDITIONAL multiple points of failure.
That's why I'm on edge about doing this. I was thinking of upgrading the radiator, but no one makes aftermarket rads for the n62 as far as I've seen. Also if I decide to add an oil cooler it probably won't be OEM. Probably a Setrab unit with braided lines and AN fittings.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Hello all> im nnew to this site. have read many threads. and first time posting. ive been thinking about installing a oil cooler also on my 545,,,,for a long time. looked at the alternator oil cooler connecting braket and all the parts. and dont wanna get into removing the alt bracket after just fixing the leak. ive looked into an oil cooler adaptor that connects to the oil filter.with ports for pressure and temp gauges. but have not seen one or anything that will fit a 545. with the canister filter.. have any of u guys seen any thing ...

Excession glad u posted this cause i was thinkin bout it and wondering if anyone has done this mod too...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H F
Hello all> im nnew to this site. have read many threads. and first time posting. ive been thinking about installing a oil cooler also on my 545,,,,for a long time. looked at the alternator oil cooler connecting braket and all the parts. and dont wanna get into removing the alt bracket after just fixing the leak. ive looked into an oil cooler adaptor that connects to the oil filter.with ports for pressure and temp gauges. but have not seen one or anything that will fit a 545. with the canister filter.. have any of u guys seen any thing ...

Excession glad u posted this cause i was thinkin bout it and wondering if anyone has done this mod too...
I too have considered this mod. I believe a big part of the reason BMW did not put the oil cooler on the N62B44 engine is there just isn't the room in an E60 engine bay that there is in the 7 series engine bay. Having changed an alternator on a 545i I can't imagine jamming another component in there. However, I have never looked at a 550i engine, and they obviously figured out how to shoe-horn a cooler in the same engine bay (with a slightly different engine design).

I wish I could find more auto industry scientific studies regarding gasket longevity. I believe the main factors are design of the gaskets (and the 545i lacks here), heat (not good in the 545i) and condition of oil (once oil oxidizes and uses up the alkalinity of the oil additives the oil goes acidic and attacks gaskets making them brittle).

At this point I work to control the only two things I can. Keep the coolant system in good working order and use name brand full synthetic oil and change it frequently.

Regarding aftermarket oil-cooler systems I would be extremely careful to choose a system that has the highest quality fittings with steel reinforced lines and a tried and true design. If a fitting fails allowing a hose to blow off at 100 mph and dump all of your oil I venture to say you'll never pull over in time (even if you notice the dash light while concentrating on the road at high speed).

Quick Reply: 545i oil cooler