E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i HUGE LOSS! Trade for M5? Or Shoot myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='810915' date='Mar 8 2009, 03:04 PM
this is why BMWs are so widely leased. I am not wealthy, I have a great income though and I am a single guy, so i am doing far better than most people, however, Leasing was the best option for me. the OP pretty much makes the argument for leasing in his original post.

If you want a nice car, that you wont keep forever and money matters to you, in the way that you actually have to be cognisant of your mortgage/rent/car payment, then leasing is the best option.

He has had it for 15 mos and he is tired of it? When i hit the 15 month mark on my 08 535 that i am paying 599 a month for, it will be halfway gone. and after the lease is up, i wont be upsidedown on it.
+1 on leasing. Also if you have some cash you can save a bunch of finance charges by prepaying the lease - lease it for 3 years with a lump sum payment. No car payment, just using up your "prepaid time" until you return it and decide how much you want to spend for your next 3 years of driving.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Oh yeah and don't forget you can save yourself some interest and pay off early by sending equal payments in twice a month
Old 03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='810937' date='Mar 8 2009, 05:45 PM
+1 on leasing. Also if you have some cash you can save a bunch of finance charges by prepaying the lease - lease it for 3 years with a lump sum payment. No car payment, just using up your "prepaid time" until you return it and decide how much you want to spend for your next 3 years of driving.

Boys,

You just can't buy these cars nowadays. I orignally thought I made a mistake leasing. Was crying like a baby thinking of paying tax a second time. Around $3k.

Well, the buyout came in $9K under residual with better financing options. And I could have walked away free as a bird. I took the buyout. Risking the residual value on a $70K car is dangerous. You got to want the car for the long term, 6 years or more.

How many of us fall into this category??

I'd say very few.

Used cars is the way to go.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='810946' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:21 PM
Boys,

You just can't buy these cars nowadays. I orignally thought I made a mistake leasing. Was crying like a baby thinking of paying tax a second time. Around $3k.

Well, the buyout came in $9K under residual with better financing options. And I could have walked away free as a bird. I took the buyout. Risking the residual value on a $70K car is dangerous. You got to want the car for the long term, 6 years or more.

I'd say very few.

CVT Benhogan
yeah... I have NO INTENTIONS of keeping this car at all. at the 36 month mark it is gone and i will be in a brand new 2012 F10. if i dont like the F10 for whatever reason, i will find an E60 M5 which i may be able to pick up for 25K at that point.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='810946' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:21 PM
Boys,

I'd say very few.

CVT Benhogan
Unless you just buy for the long term because you bought new exactly what you want and complete make use of its practical life span.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Great tips guys... Seriously everyone has left me with a little bit of advice. I started quoting but I realized replying to 20 plus responses was going to take way too long!

Although I feel some may not have fully got my story correctly. I'm not affected by this economy too bad. I am self employed so I don't have much to worry about in that sense.

The 4k I have extra in mods is just something I planned on doing for a while. Someone mentioned a super charger... That would be great but I do want this car to last, not spend 7k to kill my engine life :thumbsdown:

Because of my loss, and depreciated values made me think if I've already lost this much... might as well save my 4k, and put it towards the M5 since that's what I basically want my car to be anyways... Take a little bigger loss but be twice as happy.

Don't get me wrong guys I am very happy with my 545i, and take every chance I can to drive it. (I put 24K Miles on it so far!) I love my car.

My whole thing is I can take a loss, but to be 15k down in 15/mo is pretty ridiculous in my opinion I took a 6 year loan. I got the 100K Warranty. And walked out paying $42,000 on an 8% loan with 0 down for my 545i

I needed a car and I needed all my extra funds at the time for various investments to keep my business running. So I opted on 0 Down.

Paying for my car has never been an issue. I did a little math, and decided I'm just going to pay $400 extra each month towards my payments not sure of the correct outcome on this maybe someone with better finance skills can tell me exactly what it's going to work out to be.

$35,000 on loan at 8%

Payment of 760/mo for 57 more months.

Then I want to pay 400 extra per month.

How fast would my car be paid off? And what will be saved on interest that won't accumulate due to early pay off?
Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

The great Warren Buffet once said, "If you have to repair it or feed it, then it's not an investement". Rare are the cars where you either lose very little or actually make money on it. Us mere mortals buy cars with the notion that as soon as you pull out of the dealership, you've lost 20% already. My advice would be to just enjoy your car, mod the heck out of it (if you really want it) and use it as a source of fun. Who cares if it'll be worth $0 in 7 or 8 years? At some point you will pay off this car and all you have to do is keep making those payments to yourself and save the money for downpayment on your next car.

Have fun and enjoy your car. Just trading it in while it's underwater will put you further in debt and for an even bigger amount. G/L
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='810974' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:37 PM
The great Warren Buffet once said, "If you have to repair it or feed it, then it's not an investement". Rare are the cars where you either lose very little or actually make money on it. Us mere mortals buy cars with the notion that as soon as you pull out of the dealership, you've lost 20% already. My advice would be to just enjoy your car, mod the heck out of it (if you really want it) and use it as a source of fun. Who cares if it'll be worth $0 in 7 or 8 years? At some point you will pay off this car and all you have to do is keep making those payments to yourself and save the money for downpayment on your next car.

Have fun and enjoy your car. Just trading it in while it's underwater will put you further in debt and for an even bigger amount. G/L
what does warren buffet know about money? isn't that the guy who sings margaritaville? (joking)

+1 on that last statement. a car is not an investment unless you are buying a 69 camaro, gullwing MB, shelby cobra, stuff like that. If you can afford it and you will enjoy it, drive it. when you get tired of it, if it is reasonable to, turn it in and get something fresh. i get tired of cars quickly and if anyone is like that, you should be leasing.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='810978' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:42 PM
what does warren buffet know about money? isn't that the guy who sings margaritaville? (joking)

+1 on that last statement. a car is not an investment unless you are buying a 69 camaro, gullwing MB, shelby cobra, stuff like that. If you can afford it and you will enjoy it, drive it. when you get tired of it, if it is reasonable to, turn it in and get something fresh. i get tired of cars quickly and if anyone is like that, you should be leasing.
A 69 camaro is an investment?

This is an investment car.. I bet you can't pick this thing up for < $200k. New it was < $4k. LOL
Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='810972' date='Mar 8 2009, 06:36 PM
Great tips guys... Seriously everyone has left me with a little bit of advice. I started quoting but I realized replying to 20 plus responses was going to take way too long!

Although I feel some may not have fully got my story correctly. I'm not affected by this economy too bad. I am self employed so I don't have much to worry about in that sense.

The 4k I have extra in mods is just something I planned on doing for a while. Someone mentioned a super charger... That would be great but I do want this car to last, not spend 7k to kill my engine life :thumbsdown:

Because of my loss, and depreciated values made me think if I've already lost this much... might as well save my 4k, and put it towards the M5 since that's what I basically want my car to be anyways... Take a little bigger loss but be twice as happy.

Don't get me wrong guys I am very happy with my 545i, and take every chance I can to drive it. (I put 24K Miles on it so far!) I love my car.

My whole thing is I can take a loss, but to be 15k down in 15/mo is pretty ridiculous in my opinion I took a 6 year loan. I got the 100K Warranty. And walked out paying $42,000 on an 8% loan with 0 down for my 545i

I needed a car and I needed all my extra funds at the time for various investments to keep my business running. So I opted on 0 Down.

Paying for my car has never been an issue. I did a little math, and decided I'm just going to pay $400 extra each month towards my payments not sure of the correct outcome on this maybe someone with better finance skills can tell me exactly what it's going to work out to be.

$35,000 on loan at 8%

Payment of 760/mo for 57 more months.

Then I want to pay 400 extra per month.

How fast would my car be paid off? And what will be saved on interest that won't accumulate due to early pay off?

Dude,

Sorry to hear this.

That is a horrible rate to finance with. Not sure about your budget, but you'll earn more than 8% on every dollar you prepay. No stock market return is close to that nowadays. I'd pay the thing off as fast as possible. With all the mileage, selling isn't an option. In sum, you have committed to an expense of $35K plus interest. I'd pay it off as fast as possible and hope the residual value decline starts to flat out. When it flattens, only then should you think to sell and you'll need to hold on.

I'd plot the annual depreciation by looking at used prices. Right now (year 0), you've lost $10K or whatever. Next year will be less and even less the year after. The goal is to see the average annual cost of owership decline, otherwise its a complete disaster.

On the plus side, its still a great car. And you've learned a valuable lesson.

Quick Reply: 545i HUGE LOSS! Trade for M5? Or Shoot myself?