E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Removing the carpet is both the easiest part of this and the least of your worries.... The trim on the bottom of the door sill snaps up and out, just pull... The plastic paneling around the bottom of the dash where it meets the floor also snaps out. The carpet is in pieces, meaning the passenger side is separate from the driver side. Get it up and out quickly along with the padding... do your best to dry that harness and all the sensors out under it. They will eventually corrode if not cleaned and dried well. You need to run a dehumidifier all day and night to get all that moisture out...

I doubt the leak would come in that heavy from the door trim. I would open the hood, remove the micro filter housing on the right side and see if the ebox under is flooded or wet... your water most likely came in through there like mine... read the beginning of this thread.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Removing the carpet is both the easiest part of this and the least of your worries.... The trim on the bottom of the door sill snaps up and out, just pull... The plastic paneling around the bottom of the dash where it meets the floor also snaps out. The carpet is in pieces, meaning the passenger side is separate from the driver side. Get it up and out quickly along with the padding... do your best to dry that harness and all the sensors out under it. They will eventually corrode if not cleaned and dried well. You need to run a dehumidifier all day and night to get all that moisture out...

I doubt the leak would come in that heavy from the door trim. I would open the hood, remove the micro filter housing on the right side and see if the ebox under is flooded or wet... your water most likely came in through there like mine... read the beginning of this thread.
Removed all my carpets, no moisture at all underneath. There were a few wires running along the side of the passenger footwell near the door and they were all dry as well.

No modules were there, could this be because my car is RHD and yours is LHD?

I will upload a few pics later so we can compare footwells
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Not familiar with the differences between LHD and RHD models... I can say that there is much more than a "few wires" running through my passenger floor under the carpet - its a huge wiring harness running front to back with sensors off of "wire branches"... Maybe you got lucky and yours are on the other side - makes sense I guess.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Ye I guess other than the dash and that being the other way round. All the internals under the cars are the same?

Where is your battery? Mine is in the trunk on the right hand side (Driver's side in RHD)

Also, it was bone dry under my carpet. No moisture or dampness at all!!!!

Anyway, here are the pics:

Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

I would check the ebox also thats alot of water, or might aswell pull your tire off remove splash sheild and clean the gutter, most likely needs it anyways
Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by guysk8r1717
I would check the ebox also thats alot of water, or might aswell pull your tire off remove splash sheild and clean the gutter, most likely needs it anyways
Exactly... something is backing up that water......
Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Contributors

What is the e-box? I'm British so maybe we call it something else?

I believe the leak is coming through the door seal, because there is water on the door sill and when it rained last night the towel I left in my car was wettest right in the middle near the door sill.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Contributors

if you believe its your door seal simply go out at night shine flashlight from one side and see if you see any light leaks coming from the other side.problem identified. electronic box is under your cabin filter on your passenger side since yours is rhd. take the lid off peer down to the bottom and see if you notice any standing water.your main electrical wires coming threw the firewall are right behind your glovebox,the ebox drain gets clogged from debris over time and water passes right threw all the wiring onto your passenger floorboard.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Contributors

and im really confused on you had an inch of water but after you took the carpet out there was nothing at all underneath?

and please god tell me you lifted that massive green foam pad up and saw your entire electrical box sitting right there....smh....
Old 01-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Contributors

if you believe its your door seal simply go out at night shine flashlight from one side and see if you see any light leaks coming from the other side.problem identified. electronic box is under your cabin filter on your passenger side since yours is rhd. take the lid off peer down to the bottom and see if you notice any standing water.your main electrical wires coming threw the firewall are right behind your glovebox,the ebox drain gets clogged from debris over time and water passes right threw all the wiring onto your passenger floorboard.
I will check that e-box area out later.

and im really confused on you had an inch of water but after you took the carpet out there was nothing at all underneath?

and please god tell me you lifted that massive green foam pad up and saw your entire electrical box sitting right there....smh....
That's what I thought was strange, there was no water under the carpets, as if the bottom of the carpet was waterproofed? The carpet was wet, but dried very quickly just by being rubbed with a towel.

I lifted up the green foam pad as you can see in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.

That black box is the air vents going through to the back AC units.

It was bone dry in that area anyway.

Quick Reply: 545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...