E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Mar 24 2005, 12:36 PM
I also have some vibration at idle but mainly when holding the car on the brakes at a stoplight etc - but it's a little intermittent.? I had the dealer look at the car, explained all the symptoms? - and got the "could not duplicate"? .? I also got the "could not duplicate" response on my AM reception issue - and as soon as I got in the car at the dealer lot and fired her up the radio came on, and was as crackly as ever......? At least the vibration thing isn't just me...? I'll stick with it a while longer to see if anyone here gets to the bottom of it.? That said, vibration aside, the engine in this thing truly is an absolute monster.? ?
[snapback]106119[/snapback]
Agree with you fully on the engine performance and torque.

A little vibration at idle, especially with an automatic and the resistance of the torque converter, I think is normal.

Try puting yours in nuetral and bring the RPM's up slowly - It should be smooth through the full range. I get a definate roughness/vibration at specific points.

Let me know if yours is the same.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM
RR - sounds like you have the exact same car, right down to the color.? Whats the Lidatec & Hard-wired V1?
[snapback]106100[/snapback]
Lidatek

Hard-wired V1 = hard-wired Valentine One Radar Locator. My V1 main unit is hidden under the rear parcel shelf. Concealed display module and volume/power control are mounted up front.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 01:53 PM']There should be no vibration whatsoever.? NONE.? The 4.4L engine is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced.? If you feel ANY vibration from the engine, drivetrain or wheels whatsoever, cold start, hot, or in between, something is not right.
[snapback]106097[/snapback]
Sorry, one exception. After parking overnight in cold weather you might feel some tire vibration from 'flat spotting'. This should go away in a minute or so though.
[snapback]106099[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wolverine,

I've seen you post great comments many times. I was a lurker on this board for a long time before joining.

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this with the dealer? My E39 540 never had this problem. I know the 545 engine is much different. The dealer told me they get this complaint often from 02-04 7-series owners as well.

It doesn't bother me too much, and my car is a lease so I am inclined to not be too concerned about it atm. On the other hand, who knows? I might end up keeping the car.

The only thing that would make me want to trade it in at this point would be if the 530d turbo ever comes Stateside. I've already told my dealer that I want to be first on the list!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 01:51 PM
[quote name='swajames' date='Mar 24 2005, 12:36 PM']I also have some vibration at idle but mainly when holding the car on the brakes at a stoplight etc - but it's a little intermittent.? I had the dealer look at the car, explained all the symptoms? - and got the "could not duplicate"? .? I also got the "could not duplicate" response on my AM reception issue - and as soon as I got in the car at the dealer lot and fired her up the radio came on, and was as crackly as ever......? At least the vibration thing isn't just me...? I'll stick with it a while longer to see if anyone here gets to the bottom of it.? That said, vibration aside, the engine in this thing truly is an absolute monster.? ?
[snapback]106119[/snapback]
Agree with you fully on the engine performance and torque.

A little vibration at idle, especially with an automatic and the resistance of the torque converter, I think is normal.

Try puting yours in nuetral and bring the RPM's up slowly - It should be smooth through the full range. I get a definate roughness/vibration at specific points.

Let me know if yours is the same.
[snapback]106128[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will do - I'll try it later and post the results
Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Mar 24 2005, 12:51 PM
[quote name='jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM']RR - sounds like you have the exact same car, right down to the color.? Whats the Lidatec & Hard-wired V1?
[snapback]106100[/snapback]
Lidatek

Hard-wired V1 = hard-wired Valentine One Radar Locator. My V1 main unit is hidden under the rear parcel shelf. Concealed display module and volume/power control are mounted up front.
[snapback]106129[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks,

Looks like a good system. I just purchased a Cincinatti Micro Wave (BellTronics) system - have an in with the sales manager.

Where did you mount your control/display unit?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Mar 24 2005, 02:56 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 01:53 PM']There should be no vibration whatsoever.? NONE.? The 4.4L engine is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced.? If you feel ANY vibration from the engine, drivetrain or wheels whatsoever, cold start, hot, or in between, something is not right.
Sorry, one exception. After parking overnight in cold weather you might feel some tire vibration from 'flat spotting'. This should go away in a minute or so though.
[snapback]106099[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wolverine,

I've seen you post great comments many times. I was a lurker on this board for a long time before joining.

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this with the dealer? My E39 540 never had this problem. I know the 545 engine is much different. The dealer told me they get this complaint often from 02-04 7-series owners as well.

It doesn't bother me too much, and my car is a lease so I am inclined to not be too concerned about it atm. On the other hand, who knows? I might end up keeping the car.

The only thing that would make me want to trade it in at this point would be if the 530d turbo ever comes Stateside. I've already told my dealer that I want to be first on the list!
[snapback]106130[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would do a few things. First, contact bmwusa via email and/or phone and see if they will contact the dealer for you. They may have experienced the same complaint from others. Second, I would go to the dealer and have them 'test drive' your car side-by-side with another 545 (6sp if possible) they have on the lot. Third, I would take the car to another dealer and get their opinion. Fourth I would get a copy of the 'lemon' laws, and see what they say for your state. There is usually some provision for taking the car to be fixed "x number of times", and not getting fixed. You can let the dealer know you are aware of these laws. Fifth I would write a letter to the President of BMWNA and copy your dealer if you are not getting satisfaction from the dealer. In all communications, I would be positive, and minimize the 'bitching'.

The bottom line is that if your car is vibrating noticeably, there is something wrong, and BMW needs to fix it. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 05:55 PM
Where did you mount your control/display unit?
[snapback]106156[/snapback]

I'll try and upload some pics this weekend.

I've got the concealed display unit above the rear view mirror. Can't be seen from outside the car. It is angled toward the driver.

The V1 volume/power control is in the dash, next to the headlight switch. I partially botched that by making the pass-thru hole too big, so it did not come out quite the way I envisioned. I'm now considering moving it to the ashtray. It fits well if you remove the ashtray itself (you can leave the other plastic hardware and lighter in place).

I still have not found a home for the Lidatek power switch. It's hanging over the center console atm... looks awful.

A work in progress!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 02:01 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 11:53 AM']There should be no vibration whatsoever.? NONE.? The 4.4L engine is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced.? If you feel ANY vibration from the engine, drivetrain or wheels whatsoever, cold start, hot, or in between, something is not right.
I would agree as well as I am not getting any flack from the dealer about this. In fact there was no hesitation for them to replace the harmonic balancer and fly wheel - which is not a real cheap test/fix.

I have heard about the availability of the short shifter - how do you like it?

I have done the CDV, I was a little concerned that they would try to give me some flack for it if they found out I changed it. It should not have any bearing on this vibration what-so-ever and they did not notice anything or look for it when the pulled out the transmission/clutch.

What is the clutch stop?
[snapback]106103[/snapback]
[/quote]

My clutch stop is just a piece of hardwood glued to the floor under the clutch pedal.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

RR,

Thanks - looking forward to the pictures.

At one point I considered trying to use the pop-out switch plate (where the DSC... switches are, but this is a whole circuit board according to the parts department.

I have not fully figured out my installation yet - right now I am still working on the Yukon. Figure I will learn on that one first.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Wolverine,

How thick is your clutch stop? Sounds like a good idea as the clutch throw is very long, yet the engagement point is close to the top.

Thanks for educating a first time BMW owner on the tricks.

Quick Reply: 545i engine vibration