E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

loose engine mount?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

I would be watching the ground under the engine for any signs of oil loss. If you may have caught my post, I have a 24 day old 2004 545I that at around day 12 was returned to the service department as I was complaining of rough idling, especially when car was cold. I was also complaining of a slight hesitation of the throttle off the start. They increased the idle speed and this seemed to help a bit.
This past weekend I noticed oil stains on my driveway and then checked my garage floor where I found more oil stains. Car was brought to the dealer last Monday where it was determined that there was a hairline fracture of the block right under the A/C compressor with major amounts of oil leaking out. I am surprised that the cars computer did not pick up this major loss of oil. There was no warning or indication that there was a problem.

They have ordered a new engine for my car. I am still awaiting a return phone call from BMW Canada to my calls and letter to them.

It is very possible that the vibrations that you are experiencing may be the start of a much more serious problem. Suggest that you keep an eye on the ground after the car has been sitting, when you move away.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have no oil leaks where it is dropping on the garage floor. I do have a light amount of seapage on the front of the driver side valve cover - have not gotten a reply as to what this is.

That is a good point that I will question it.

My dealer is waiting for a further direction from BMWNA. The BMW rep is supposed to be in on Monday and I am trying to get with him prior to leaving on a trip.

I have not read all of the postings, but are you satisfied with a new engine or are you requesting a new car?

I am sure putting in a new engine will be fine. In my mind, for the price of the vehicle, I am not real comfortable with them ripping up the car when it is so new. I just question, what other problems/hassles will you run into.

If it is a lease for a few years, then it is not a big deal. I typically keep my cars for a long time and put alot of miles on them, so I am worried about the long run.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 23 2005, 06:30 PM
loose engine mount?
[snapback]105763[/snapback]
I was wondering about this also. So far they have not keyed in on it.

I asked an outside tech about it and he thought my problem was more of a mis-fire, bad injector or coil.

I would assume that BMW's next trys would be fuel and ignition components.

I will bring it up again when I talk to my SA or the Mechanic.

I am going back in on Monday morning to hopefully meet with the rep, SA and Shop foreman.

I will give them a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem, but I also don't want the whole car torn apart component by component.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

I've had a similar problem - i.e., the rough idle when engine is cold.

I asked the dealer techs about it and they advised this is normal. The vibration goes away after the car is warmed up. I also only notice it <2500 rpms.

But it is annoying. Actually, I would characterize it as a jerkiness. I almost have to leave the car in a lower gear than I'd prefer just to keep the rpms up higher and avoid it. Like I said, it is annoying.

MY05, 12/04 production, 6 speed.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

There should be no vibration whatsoever. NONE. The 4.4L engine is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced. If you feel ANY vibration from the engine, drivetrain or wheels whatsoever, cold start, hot, or in between, something is not right.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 01:53 PM
There should be no vibration whatsoever.? NONE.? The 4.4L engine is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced.? If you feel ANY vibration from the engine, drivetrain or wheels whatsoever, cold start, hot, or in between, something is not right.
[snapback]106097[/snapback]
Sorry, one exception. After parking overnight in cold weather you might feel some tire vibration from 'flat spotting'. This should go away in a minute or so though.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Mar 24 2005, 11:41 AM
I've had a similar problem - i.e., the rough idle when engine is cold.

I asked the dealer techs about it and they advised this is normal.? The vibration goes away after the car is warmed up.? I also only notice it <2500 rpms.

But it is annoying.? Actually, I would characterize it as a jerkiness.? I almost have to leave the car in a lower gear than I'd prefer just to keep the rpms up higher and avoid it.? Like I said, it is annoying.

MY05, 12/04 production, 6 speed.
[snapback]106090[/snapback]
RR - sounds like you have the exact same car, right down to the color. Whats the Lidatec & Hard-wired V1?

Unfortunately, I don't think we have the same vibration. Mine does not go away when the car warms up. Also, it comes and goes dependent on RPM - I feel it a bit at idle, at 1250, a little at 1400, and then again at farily noticable at 1900-2200.

What I am not sure about right now is when I think it is smooth - is it really smooth or just smoother than the rough points.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Mar 24 2005, 11:53 AM
There should be no vibration whatsoever.? NONE.? The 4.4L engine is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced.? If you feel ANY vibration from the engine, drivetrain or wheels whatsoever, cold start, hot, or in between, something is not right.
[snapback]106097[/snapback]
I would agree as well as I am not getting any flack from the dealer about this. In fact there was no hesitation for them to replace the harmonic balancer and fly wheel - which is not a real cheap test/fix.

I have heard about the availability of the short shifter - how do you like it?

I have done the CDV, I was a little concerned that they would try to give me some flack for it if they found out I changed it. It should not have any bearing on this vibration what-so-ever and they did not notice anything or look for it when the pulled out the transmission/clutch.

What is the clutch stop?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I also have some vibration at idle but mainly when holding the car on the brakes at a stoplight etc - but it's a little intermittent. I had the dealer look at the car, explained all the symptoms - and got the "could not duplicate" . I also got the "could not duplicate" response on my AM reception issue - and as soon as I got in the car at the dealer lot and fired her up the radio came on, and was as crackly as ever...... At least the vibration thing isn't just me... I'll stick with it a while longer to see if anyone here gets to the bottom of it. That said, vibration aside, the engine in this thing truly is an absolute monster.

Quick Reply: 545i engine vibration