E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

my 2004 545i (6 speed manual) has a small engine vibration, what I would characterize as non-typical BMW. I know BMW's have thier share of electrical problems, but the powertrains are usually extremely smooth.

In nuetral, I get a vibration at 1250, 1400 & 2250. When the service manager was trying it, I could feel it with just my hand on the door.

They contacted BMWNA and the first thing they are trying is to remove the belts and check the accessories and water pump.

I have 10k miles and had noticed it pretty early on, but did not think much of it.

Wanted to get some feedback while the dealer is doing this. Has anybody had a similar situation?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Does it sound like this problem?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...engine+knocking
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

I am also experiencing similar problems as you. Mine is a 545I steptronic and I have felt the vibrations at idle since the day I got my ride. My rpm at idle is approx 750 rpm with the aircon on. I was told by the service department that it would go away after 5000 Km but I am now into 7000Km and have been driving the car for the past 3 months. There is still no improvement. In fact, the passengers feel the vibrations more than the driver. There is no pinging sound whatsoever; just vibrations.

I understand that the 645 faces the same problem although I haven't been able to verify this.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

No, It is not the normal valve noise, injectors or air pump.

It is actuall vibration that cannot be heard, but felt.

The dealer, under the advice of BMWNA, has removed the belts to test if the vibration was from any accessory or water pump - which it was not. It is too solid of a vib. They are replacing the harmonic balancer today. If that does not take care of it, the next step is to replace the fly wheel.

Not extremely thrilled about tearing out the trans but I don't think I have anything to demand at this point except to try and solve the problem.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

No vibration here.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Goodness. However, I don't think its got anything to do with the drive train. Anyway appreciate if you can please post the results here.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Mar 21 2005, 11:06 PM
I am also experiencing similar problems as you.? Mine is a 545I steptronic and I have felt the vibrations at idle since the day I got my ride.? My rpm at idle is approx 750 rpm with the aircon on.? I was told by the service department that it would go away after 5000 Km but I am now into 7000Km and have been driving the car for the past 3 months.? There is still no improvement.? In fact, the passengers feel the vibrations more than the driver.? There is no pinging sound whatsoever; just vibrations.

I understand that the 645 faces the same problem although I haven't been able to verify this.
[snapback]104916[/snapback]
I don't notice it at idle or I have not been aware of it. Typically, I would think you would have a little roughness at idle if you have loads on the engine. Not sure how the transmission engages the engine when in gear, but I would assume there would be some type of loading on the engine.

I have a 545i 6-speed manual. I am testing it with the A/C off. Not sure if you are experiencing the same thing. I would try it with the A/C off and car in neutral so you don't have any loads on the engine.

As you bring the RPM up, I feel it at approx. 1250/1400/2250. At the other RPM ranges it runs extremely smooth.

I tested a 645 at the dealer - don't remember what engine it had, but I was in neutral and it had not vibrations.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

I did try idling with the air-con in off position. The rpm is set at 500 but I brought it up to 750 rpm and noticed that there was very faint vibrations. Will try the other rpms you mentioned and let you know.

I tested the 645 last week mostly to see if there is any vibration, but there was none.

I remember the good old days when I used to ICE my Jap cars. There were engine vibrations due to the extra load on the battery. All we had to do then was to change to a higher amp rated batt and all was okay. Don't know if this is the problem here; with all the OBC, car phone, etc. Mentioned it in passing to the service dept but they discounted this theory.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

The dealer removed the accessories and waterpump from the loop, so I know that is not my problem. Also, the changed the Harmonic Balancer, which did not solve it.

Right now they are putting on a new flywheel - will find out the results tomorrow morning.

The smaller engines that did not have engine controls would be affected by higher loads such as the alternator. On the older cars, you would probably loose RPM with the load. Any additional load on this engine would be compensated by the engine control.

I would think the only effect would be if that accessory was out of balance.

Again, typically, you will get a little vibration at idle if the trans is connected to the engine.

The dealer removed the accessories and waterpump from the loop, so I know that this not my problem. Also, they changed the Harmonic Balancer, which did not solve it.

Right now they are putting on a new flywheel - will find out the results tomorrow morning.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

Fly wheel did not fix the problem. I am picking the car up tonight (after being without it for 5 days.

So, not the accessories, waterpump, harmonic balancer or flywheel. Sounds internal to me. They are back to asking BMWNA what to do.

If anybody wants to take a WAG - go for it.

Quick Reply: 545i engine vibration