E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i AC belt install help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

I purchased the tool to install the stretch belt for the AC compressor but can't get the belt on. I tried slipping it on the crank all the way and using the special tool to clamp the belt to the AC compressor and turning the motor by hand but the belt doesn't even seem to be close. I actually broke the brand new belt trying to slip it on. Any hints on doing this?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
I purchased the tool to install the stretch belt for the AC compressor but can't get the belt on. I tried slipping it on the crank all the way and using the special tool to clamp the belt to the AC compressor and turning the motor by hand but the belt doesn't even seem to be close. I actually broke the brand new belt trying to slip it on. Any hints on doing this?
Be sure your belt is truly a stretch belt - where did the belt come from? The clamp attaches to the AC side. As you turn, the correct belt will stretch up and over the pully.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

I think that's what it was. I used a gates belt. Part number k040322. It just looked like it wasn't stretching at all. That's the second belt I broke already. First belt I tried doing with two people and screwdrivers but that failed. So I bought the tool and I eventually figured out how to get it going but It was at the breaking point and I just pulled and it snapped. What belt should I go with that's available at a parts store. I don't have a BMW dealer close to me.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I think that's what it was. I used a gates belt. Part number k040322. It just looked like it wasn't stretching at all. That's the second belt I broke already. First belt I tried doing with two people and screwdrivers but that failed. So I bought the tool and I eventually figured out how to get it going but It was at the breaking point and I just pulled and it snapped. What belt should I go with that's available at a parts store. I don't have a BMW dealer close to me.
That's going to be the tricky part for you. Most stores will either rely on old information - apparently, there were provisions for a tensioner on these cars - or give you a standard belt thinking it's the same. BMW decided to ditch it and go with a stretch belt system. Most auto stores won't stock the correct belt - and as you've learned, standard belts don't play nice. Often times, the parts person won't even know what a stretch belt is. The packaging of the belt will say "elastic" or "stretch", or some other wording to let you know it is a special belt. I'm not sure if ContiTech (OEM manufacturer - BMW Part #11287520177) and Dayco are the only ones making stretch belts, or if there are other vendors out there. You will need to drive to a dealer, or order it online to be sure.

Parts Geek - $9.99

The Auto Parts Shop - $13.28

ECS Tuning - OEM Belt $18.95
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
RTR
Members

Some aftermarket manufacturers put SF (stretch fit) at the end of the belt part number to indicate it is in fact stretch fit. Try looking for those if you can.
Here's a pic of gates sf belt
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
That's going to be the tricky part for you. Most stores will either rely on old information - apparently, there were provisions for a tensioner on these cars - or give you a standard belt thinking it's the same. BMW decided to ditch it and go with a stretch belt system. Most auto stores won't stock the correct belt - and as you've learned, standard belts don't play nice. Often times, the parts person won't even know what a stretch belt is. The packaging of the belt will say "elastic" or "stretch", or some other wording to let you know it is a special belt. I'm not sure if ContiTech (OEM manufacturer - BMW Part #11287520177) and Dayco are the only ones making stretch belts, or if there are other vendors out there. You will need to drive to a dealer, or order it online to be sure.

Parts Geek - $9.99

The Auto Parts Shop - $13.28

ECS Tuning - OEM Belt $18.95

The 9.99 says stretch but is that a true stretch ?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RTR
Some aftermarket manufacturers put SF (stretch fit) at the end of the belt part number to indicate it is in fact stretch fit. Try looking for those if you can.
Here's a pic of gates sf belt
Yea mine was only that number. Didn't say SF
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Contributors

The 9.99 says stretch but is that a true stretch ?
Yes. It's stretch/elastic. ContiTech - subsidiary of global Continental AG - supplies the belts for BMW (and many others). The belt has the ELAST marking (short for elastic)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Yes. It's stretch/elastic. ContiTech - subsidiary of global Continental AG - supplies the belts for BMW (and many others). The belt has the ELAST marking (short for elastic)
Ok. I will go with that one. Good price too