E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i 6MT HELP! My 6 Speed does not engage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i 6MT
Question 545i 6MT HELP! My 6 Speed does not engage!!!

2005 545i E60 6 Speed Manual

Miles: 66k miles ( I rarely drive the car)

Issue: Transmission does not engage.
Parts replaced:
Rear Main Seal, Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Transmission input seal, clutch fork, clutch pivot pin, pivot pin clip, transmission oil, shifter bushings upgrade.

1. Start of the problem
In the past my transmission slipping during acceleration and 1st gear intermittently popped during acceleration but still drivable just not full power (reason why I barely drive it)

2. Transmission died
Finally, after all these time, in the middle the road, the transmission decided to crap out. Had to tow the car back to the house.
No engagement w/ the engine to drivetrain. Heard rattling noise. Shifter can go into gears even without pressing on the clutch (Clutch must be toasted)

3. One Year later: DIY Clutch/flywheel and stuffs you could replace while you are there.

After dragging my ass finally to DIY, I dropped transmission, replaced all these parts and put everything back together:
Rear Main Seal, Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Transmission input seal, clutch fork, clutch pivot pin, pivot pin clip, transmission oil, shifter bushings upgrade.

4. Jackstand Test
Press clutch, put on 1st gear, release the clutch, transmission engages!

Tried, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and R. All engages and rear wheels spin! I was even able to drive out of the garage on my own!

5. Time for a test drive and it now craps out AGAIN!
1 min away from my house. While I tried going up hill. The transmission disengages again!
Sounds rattling but coming from the rear end. This makes me think my rear diff is shot.
OR there is some kind of electronic system that disables the transmission engagement to the rear diff.
Tried to shift to gears. This time is different. Lever can’t go into gear w/o pressing in the clutch.
And when it’s gear, the car just doesn’t move at all and the rattling noise I described above.

Glad I have a friend who helped tow the car back into the garage since the road was pretty hilly

6. Back to the garage
Jack the car up and lifted up in the air. Start Engine, put it in gear.
WTH!!!!! The transmission engages!. Rear wheels turns! All gears, 1-6 and R engage!
Now I am totally confused!!!!!!! WTH is going on?
Did I mess up anything? This is my 2nd time doing clutch/flywheel. The first was 05 Saab 92X Aero (Impreza WRX Wagon) which I did w/o any issues
I don't think I messed up anything w/ the self adjusting clutch install as it was a brand new OEM clutch. I did not need any dealer clamp to install.

What could be the problem?
My DIY install didn’t go well, or tranny is broken or my rear diff is shot.
Or I have a sticky slave cylinder that is putting slight press on the fork not allowing my clutch to engage w/ flywheel
Or there is an electronic that disables the engagement?

7. Engine Stall test:
Maybe stalling the engine to test if my new clutch optimally grabs the flywheel.
Start Engine, press clutch, shift 1st gear (car in the air), press brake pedal hard to lock on the rear wheel. Slowly release clutch pedal and the car stalls!
I repeat the same test w/ 1-6 and R. All gears w/ brake and releasing the clutch stalled the engine.
So it is safe to say my clutch install was good?

NEED HELP/INPUT
The car is now still on the jack stand in the garage.
I am totally confused now.. I am confused what I need to diagnose next.
Any help/advise would be great as I don't want to buy any other parts if it's not broken at all.

Thank You in advance for helping and hopefully I can resolve this issue as wifey has been talking shit about BMWs general to just junk the car and get a damn Lexus!!! LOL

Last edited by salaki; 11-04-2019 at 10:46 AM.