E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 without sport package

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRocket' date='Aug 21 2005, 02:15 PM
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.? I've been driving my non-sport 545 since March and know that for me, this was the right configuration.? Drove the following prior to purchase: 545 sport, 530 non-sport, 545 non-sport.? The sport package for me was unbearable in harshness, feeling like there were connecting rods in stead of shock absorbers.? No doubt the run-flat tires were part of the problem, but thats where some of that performance comes from.? Highway travel on anything other than smooth pavement was annoying to the point of me terminating the test ride.? My non-sport suspension provides plenty of handling capability, (better than most cars on the road), and coupled with the 545 engine is a blast to drive!? Frankly, regardless of the suspension you get, the 545 is frustrating in that you are going to have to learn to drive SLOWER than the car is made to go.? There's not much sensation of speed and resulting excitement at legal speeds.? Haven't often found roads in the DC area that aren't full of troopers with their new speed toys.

If the sport package is to your liking, great.? Either way, the 545 is a car that defines driving pleasure and performance.? Enjoy!
[snapback]161744[/snapback]
I cannot seem to drive the 545i non-sport at normal speeds. IT has decided we cruise at 85. I seem to have very little say in the matter. The car is more aggressive than I ever could be so I just go along for the ride.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Just my opinion, but no sport package, no 545i. The ride is so much better and as several members have posted, all it takes to convince you of this is an extended test drive in both configurations.

Also, the lowered body looks so much better, especially if you ever plan to put an aero kit on....

But then again, who am I to tell YOU what to drive.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 545i, titanium gray, gray interior with poplar trim, sport package, cold weather package, premium sound

Thanks for all the opinions. Bluerocket, do you have pictures of your car that you could post? I am still wondering about those wheels.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

If you are anywhere near Pittsburgh and you have black interior, will trade you my 2K mile sport seats for your standard seats...

Im sure is is a fun car to drive in either case.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Ditto all the comments here about the virtues of the sport package-- its a must have in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Members

personally i have a 545 non sport and i love it no regrets here, for the amount of money your gonna pay for a sport you can fix up your car 10x more with better suspension etc... dont waste your money its pointless. my ride is smooth and i get great handling with my 20' Maya wheels. I take corners just as good as a sport and my car is lowered which helps in my opinion. Dont get the sport save the money -), the real thing ur paying for is the wheels and you can prob buy it off of someone here for $700 bux anyhow
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by qtrII6' date='Aug 22 2005, 09:27 AM
personally i have a 545 non sport and i love it no regrets here, for the amount of money your gonna pay for a sport you can fix up your car 10x more with better suspension etc... dont waste your money its pointless. my ride is smooth and i get great handling with my 20' Maya wheels. I take corners just as good as a sport and my car is lowered which helps in my opinion. Dont get the sport save the money -), the real thing ur paying for is the wheels and you can prob buy it off of someone here for $700 bux anyhow
[snapback]161998[/snapback]
There are merits to buying with or without the sport package. It's a personal decision. It is not correct however to say that you can achieve equal or greater handling dynamics yourself for the cost of the sport package. With the complex electronic controls and driving aids in the E60, lowering the car yourself is not a great idea. The sport package is far more than simply wheels. But I respect your opinion.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtsutton1' date='Aug 21 2005, 06:57 AM
My local dealer has found me a 545 equipped as I want it, but it does not have the sport package.? Now, this is probably not a big deal to me because I am more of a luxury guy.? But before I go for it, I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on this.? The only 545 I have test driven had the sport package, and I do not remember the ride being harsh or anything like that.? Has anyone drive the non-sport?? How much of a difference does it make in terms of softer ride, body roll, etc?? What about those non-sport wheels?? How do they look in person - kind of hard to tell just from looking at BMW's web site.? Thanks.
[snapback]161642[/snapback]
I do not have the sport package and in retrospect, it would be the first option I would add, though the $3300 surcharge is mainly what turned me off.

I have made steps to remedy the situation. I installed HR sport springs for $300 and found the handling improved noticeably without comprosmising the ride too much. I recently picked up the HR adjustable front sway bar and will get the rear bar. Hopefully the tilt will be better controlled after installation.

I haven't decided on wheel treatment or coilovers yet. I am taking the improvements in stages.

Active steering and runflat performance have been a problem noted by several in this forum, so it seems nothing offered by BMW in the e60 5 series is perfect. We will what people have to say when the new M5 rolls out.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by bigjohndaly' date='Aug 22 2005, 11:14 AM
[quote name='jtsutton1' date='Aug 21 2005, 06:57 AM']My local dealer has found me a 545 equipped as I want it, but it does not have the sport package.? Now, this is probably not a big deal to me because I am more of a luxury guy.? But before I go for it, I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on this.? The only 545 I have test driven had the sport package, and I do not remember the ride being harsh or anything like that.? Has anyone drive the non-sport?? How much of a difference does it make in terms of softer ride, body roll, etc?? What about those non-sport wheels?? How do they look in person - kind of hard to tell just from looking at BMW's web site.? Thanks.
[snapback]161642[/snapback]
I do not have the sport package and in retrospect, it would be the first option I would add, though the $3300 surcharge is mainly what turned me off.

I have made steps to remedy the situation. I installed HR sport springs for $300 and found the handling improved noticeably without comprosmising the ride too much. I recently picked up the HR adjustable front sway bar and will get the rear bar. Hopefully the tilt will be better controlled after installation.

I haven't decided on wheel treatment or coilovers yet. I am taking the improvements in stages.

Active steering and runflat performance have been a problem noted by several in this forum, so it seems nothing offered by BMW in the e60 5 series is perfect. We will what people have to say when the new M5 rolls out.
[snapback]162056[/snapback]
[/quote]

bigjohndaly, thanks for the info - couple of questions on the H&R springs. How noticeable do you find the ride/handling difference compared to the stock springs, did it lower the car any and also what did you have to pay to get them fitted? Been thinking about this for a while so would be really interested in your experiences.
cheers
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Members

IMHO, active ride stabilization is the real reason to get the sport option if you're thinking abou it... it makes taking corners with practically no body roll... makes a huge difference in my opinion... the z4 handles very well too, but does not have this option and it makes a difference... it makes the 545i sport i have "feel" like it corners better than the z4 when i drive both cars. much more confidence going into and coming out of turns. there's no aftermarket solution to replace that.

the 745Li i had came with that feature too... and it made that huge car take corners better than many midsize cars.

Quick Reply: 545 without sport package